New Owner 2012 GLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
New Owner 2012 GLK

Hi,

Just bought my first Mercedes and sprung for a new 2012 GLK. Of course since it's a 2012, I didn't have much choice at the end of the year. There were very few to choose from, so I guess people really liked these vehicles in 2012.

Anyway, the vehicle that I liked the best already had running boards. I did a search in the forum for running board questions, but found mostly questions on installation. As with most of the posts, I found that the running boards seem to get in the way of getting in and out of the vehicle. I am 5'3" and have knee problems. That's why I sold my TL...which I loved and hated to trade, but it gets to the point where you hate to drive anywhere if it's a pain to get in and out of your vehicle. So I wanted it to be easier getting in and out...not harder. I looked at the RDX (easier to get into..no running boards), but liked the GLK better.

So...question is...can the running boards be removed without difficultly, with no damage to the vehicle and may be resold to someone else?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Gloria
Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GLK 4Matic, 1999 S600, 1994 E320 Cabriolet
Yes

Yes they can be removed easily and all you need is the rocker panels that went there on a car without running boards (they would have to painted to match your car unless you found ones the same color). There were no modifications to the car to install running boards. You would be able to order the rocker panels or buy them from someone like me who took his off to put on the running boards.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Have you tried entering/exiting with the running boards? I would think that they might actually help you if you first step on the running board and then entering the GLK. Have you set up the entry/exit setting for the steering wheel? Another thought: Set one of the seat memory buttons to move the seat back & down to aid entering/exiting. Then program a second button for your driving position.
I hate to say it, but the time to remove the running boards was during your purchase negotiation. Doing it after purchase will be very expensive.
Good luck!

Wayne