GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

iPod cable question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
iPod cable question

Hey everyone, Im new here so before I continue i would like to introduce my self....name is erlomd and im a brand new member to this whole MB craze...very well built cars these german horses are...

just accuired a 2010 GLK350 4MATIC and its just awesome, panoramic sunroof is killer...everything else is pretty cut and dry...came with the standard radio, no sat/nav no hard drive media interface..just the standard small screen and knob on the center counsel.
one problem im having is with the ipod adapter cable in the glovebox. its the white 30pin cable only...

so, I connect my 30gb ipod classic and the mercedes logo comes on the iPod, and its charging, but I dont have anyway to get to it on the radio...theres no AUX option that I can click on the screen and tapping the radio button scrolls me through FM, AM, weather and satellite, but not AUX. when i connect it, nothing seems to trigger another option on the screen or anything.
is this cable just a charger? i thought it was supposed to display the ipod selection on the screen?

ill contact the dealer to see whats going on but in the meantime ill throw this question out here to see what you fine folks think.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
Welcome!

I have to check for the correct buttons but for now go to disk and use the center counsel go left then click and AUX will be the last option. Tell me if it works.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by N91K
Welcome!

I have to check for the correct buttons but for now go to disk and use the center counsel go left then click and AUX will be the last option. Tell me if it works.
thanks man, it worked BUT...(theres always a but) non of the information comes up on the screen still...for now, I can only control the next track and previous track on the steering wheel, and it shows what song im playing on the instrument cluster but not on the radio itself....i cant choose playlists, or scroll through my iPod library....

but hey for now at least I can listen to the iPod...I have a weird feeling that this may be it as far as that cable is concerned. is there a way to get the info on the screen?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by erlomd
but hey for now at least I can listen to the iPod...I have a weird feeling that this may be it as far as that cable is concerned. is there a way to get the info on the screen?
Not that I know of, I couldn't figure out a way wither. Ended up just burning everything onto some DVD-RW disks (I've only got about 16GB of MP3s) so all the info can be seen on the screen. Picked up a PCMCIA card but haven't tried it yet, hopefully all the file info from that will be displayed on the screen.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM

thanks man, it worked BUT...(theres always a but) non of the information comes up on the screen still...for now, I can only control the next track and previous track on the steering wheel, and it shows what song im playing on the instrument cluster but not on the radio itself....i cant choose playlists, or scroll through my iPod library....

The song name doesn't get displayed on the screen, it only shows on the instrument cluster. If you want to choose a song click on the steering wheel button that has the phone sign (left button) and the playlists will be displayed.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by N91K
The song name doesn't get displayed on the screen, it only shows on the instrument cluster. If you want to choose a song click on the steering wheel button that has the phone sign (left button) and the playlists will be displayed.
worked like a charm...thanks for all the help.

I guess this will do for now until some aftermarket manufacture makes a unit that can handle ipod integration on the radio screen and utilize the much faster center counsel knob...but since the new 2013s are out I seriously doubt it. would have been nice to have some modern features...hell, even pandora radio...but I think that might be asking way too much.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 AM

My pleasure!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 AM

GLK 2010
Hey everyone, Im new here so before I continue i would like to introduce my self....name is erlomd and im a brand new member to this whole MB craze...very well built cars these german horses are...

just accuired a 2010 GLK350 4MATIC and its just awesome, panoramic sunroof is killer...everything else is pretty cut and dry...came with the standard radio, no sat/nav no hard drive media interface..just the standard small screen and knob on the center counsel.
one problem im having is with the ipod adapter cable in the glovebox. its the white 30pin cable only...

so, I connect my 30gb ipod classic and the mercedes logo comes on the iPod, and its charging, but I dont have anyway to get to it on the radio...theres no AUX option that I can click on the screen and tapping the radio button scrolls me through FM, AM, weather and satellite, but not AUX. when i connect it, nothing seems to trigger another option on the screen or anything.
is this cable just a charger? i thought it was supposed to display the ipod selection on the screen?

ill contact the dealer to see whats going on but in the meantime ill throw this question out here to see what you fine folks think.
Can i see a picture of the cable you have ? I use ipod classic as well and I just have normal AUX cable that doesn't show anything on screen nor the cluster and I have to control my song through my ipod !
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
ill post a picture of what one looks like...but its a simple 30 pin connector (the type you use to charge the ipod regularly at home or sync to your computer or whatnot)

its not the audio cable that you plug your headphones into.

the black plastic on mine is white...other than that its the same deal.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
^^^
That iPod cable cost over $200. Do your self a favour, buy a PMCIA card and a memory card. It will be much cheaper and works better IMHO.

Also there's different ways to access to your aux/iPod/memory card.
You can use voice commands or press DISC and then press a number on the keypad. If you have 6 CD changers then number 1-6 correspond to the number of your CD. 7 and 8 will will change to aux or memory. ( or read the manual )
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM

GLK 2010
I don't have a port for this cable on my 2010 GLK !!