A few questions on the GLK-350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pending
A few questions on the GLK-350

Hi all,

I'm kind of debating between the GLK-350 and a Landrover LR4. I know in terms of reliability the GLK-350 is light years ahead and that is very, very important to me. I also think the GLK-350 is a better value. But I have a couple of questions, because the two most important things outside of that is the easy of bluetooth audio streaming and the availability of SiriusXM satellite radio. I don't give a damn about bluetooth phone calls or phone books or texts.

1. I read on the MB site that the GLK-350 now has bluetooth audio streaming in all models. Does it work reliably? In my current vehicle, as soon as I turn on the car it pairs to my phone (iPhone 5), and will work as soon as I press play.

2. For SiriusXM radio, it seems its either an "add on" or it's part of the Premium 1 package. Either way seems to be fine. Are there any issues? (I know some vehicles have weird things where you can't tune into certain stations, etc.)

Reliability, etc, is all fine?

Thank you all.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Bluetooth streaming works fine. I get in my GLK and go to Audio -> Bluetooth and it starts playing, but sometimes it asks to connect to device, but has highlighted "Connect to last device", so just once click and it starts playing. Sirius works great too, no issues. I've also been able to stream Sirius from my iPhone 5 to the GLK through Bluetooth in tunnels where there is no Satellite signal, but has a cell signal.

My only gripe is that in order to use the steering wheel controls to change the tracks, you have to set the instrument panel to display audio, then the left steering wheel controls can be used. I prefer to keep the instrument panel display on Speedometer which makes the steering wheel control buttons on the left completely useless. And it's not that simple to switch back to audo then speedometer on the instrument panel.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK 350
I'm with Kozak on this one.

iphone 5 streams effortlessly over bluetooth. If my wife has been driving and it connected to her phone, you sometimes have to tell the bluetooth audio to "connect to last device." Which is easy because it's the first option it gives you.

Sirius is great. My other car is an Audi and it's Sirius reception is **** poor. The GLK locks on and doesn't lose signal except in garages, etc... As well my Audi doesn't stream over bluetooth.... bothersome because I love Spotify.

Me as well: steering wheel controls are a little dumb. I like to see the digital speedo, but that defeats the ability to change tracks with the steering wheel.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Those are two very different cars. The base LR4 is closer to GL territory in terms of size, if I'm not mistaken, and closer to the ML in price.

I'd have to disagree with reliability being light years ahead.

Have you heard of any of the early transmission/transfer case failures in the GLK? Some people are on their third transmission replaced under warranty. Creaky door handles that haven't been fixed four years into production. The DI engines are still an unknown at this point in terms of issues such as carbon build up. I'm not saying this car performs poorly in any way but there ARE nagging issues that you may not be aware of.

In fact, there are entire threads on this forum that talk about the "lameness" of the 722.9 transmission used across the MBZ fleet.

How did you narrow it down to these two cars? Seems like a funny choice. Sorry I'm asking more questions than I'm answering.