GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

The dealership difference.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at CLS 550
The dealership difference.

I live in the Dallas area and have been shopping for a new car/s. Once I had just about narrowed my selection down, it is amazing how some Mercedes dealerships can behave like a used car dealer on the corner. Turning the situation into a game of back and forth to make it so you work them to get an average deal. Long story short, I got up and left and am now sourcing the car with a new dealer and putting a deposit for build down in the next week or so on a Diamond white GLK and black leather with ash wood interior. I'm glad I live in an area of having more than just one dealer, but are most dealers this hit and miss with Benz?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
Competition is a great thing. Mercedes tries to push its "relationship marketing" but some dealerships provide a superior experience and superior pricing.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
I am in Tyler. Who are the dealers? Good & Bad?
Enjoy!

Wayne
Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
The salesman you choose is just as important as the dealership, IMO.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
My impression was they figured I was buying the lowest price model they sell and because of my age would probably never buy another so why waste time on me.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My salesman is more positive. Everytime I see him he asks if I'm ready for my next purchase. Usually said while standing next to an E something.

Wayne
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM

Looking at CLS 550
The first dealer was MB of Plano. They were more interested in the right now sale and not getting the customer what they wanted. Patrick was the sales person, and it wasn't very impressive as he was coughing all over the place and I got the flu as a result shortly after. His finance guy when I asked about wheels and tires on the car told me to go buy some knock offs. Very impressive service isn't that? I got more things I should do elsewhere from them than through them. Basically their dealership wants to move what they have, which I understand, but so much so it comes across as being rude and unhelpful. I also don't like a sales person trying to size me up on a test drive. It makes the experience awkward, takes the focus off of what I'm trying to accomplish, and made me about end the test drive right then and there. I've bought and owned many cars in my time and the sales person thought he knew my background, but he couldn't have been further from the truth. The fact is, I'm not going to disclose my personal life to a stranger. I have good credit, can meet the monthly payments, and know what I'm wanting in my purchase, that is all you need to know. Plus, the first offer from them was about 180/month higher than what Mercedes was quoting and another dealer verified. $180 x 39 months is a chunk and a huge mistake in my book to overprice a lease by. Then I give the standard "is that your best price as I had originally asked for" and get a response to the effect of am I willing to buy that night. Again, misstep.

Park place dealers are the exact opposite. In my dealings, they would rather get you what you want and will take the time. In fact, my sales gal often lets her customers walk, which she shouldn't do, but it removes that overbearing sales attitude that makes you hate buying a car. I like to stick with a brand, but also with the manufacturer and sales staff. One did every no no they could, the other very friendly and open.

Other point, the MB Plano dealer wanted a 2,500 deposit to order a car. Park place, 1,000 for the same thing. Seems like the facts speak for themselves. Now I'm not sure if the dealerships ever read this stuff or not, but if they do, I'm hoping they take note. I love to give praise where it's due. But also steer others from short sighted sales tactics. Sad as they are the closer dealer to me, but I'll happily drive a little further to be satisfied with my service and purchase experiences.

Last edited by BarrettF77; 12-28-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
These are all reasons to support buying a car online. I am not sure how the sales people are compensated, but the internet marketing departments of all the dealerships are huge now and it strikes me that it cuts out or lowers the salesperson's commission, which you then save with a lower price.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the details. One of my neighbors had a similar good experience recently buying at Park Place. We had a good buying experience, and continue to have a good after sale experience, at Mercedes-Benz of Tyler. They are the only game in Tyler, but know that Park Place is only 2 hours away.

Wayne
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Looking at CLS 550
Park Place seems to have a different demeanor about how to do business. I personally find it much more inviting as a costumer. Glad you have the same conclusions. Consistency is good.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM

2013 GLK 350
Dealership makes all the difference.

We were getting out of wife's BMW lease early (had a convertible, needed something more baby friendly). Thought that BMW would be more helpful in getting us into a new car. WRONG. Two BMW dealerships and lots of "let me go see what I can do.... sorry, this is our best number." They really gave two ****s about us being current owners and you could TELL. Sure we we're driving a base model 128i, but we're relatively young and have a strong brand loyalty if the product delivers.

MB of Long Beach was awesome. We got the price we wanted in practically a single try (including paying off the BMW). And the GLK sticker was slightly higher than the BMW X3 we had been looking at.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM

Looking at CLS 550
Originally Posted by CharlieX

We were getting out of wife's BMW lease early (had a convertible, needed something more baby friendly). Thought that BMW would be more helpful in getting us into a new car. WRONG. Two BMW dealerships and lots of "let me go see what I can do.... sorry, this is our best number." They really gave two ****s about us being current owners and you could TELL. Sure we we're driving a base model 128i, but we're relatively young and have a strong brand loyalty if the product delivers.

MB of Long Beach was awesome. We got the price we wanted in practically a single try (including paying off the BMW). And the GLK sticker was slightly higher than the BMW X3 we had been looking at.
VW / Audi is the same way. I'm terminating a lease on a two year old car because the fuel tank reads incarrately and fluctuates. I had the option of lateraling into an Audi. Their dealer service with Audi was terrible. This made 5 times in the last decade I've gone in for an Audi and left not the least bit interested. It would seem that generally if you like German engineering, Mercedes offers the most.

I also looked at BMW. It was amusing how arrogant sales people were. It isn't as if I'm looking at Ferarris or Lamborginis. I think auto manufacturers lose sight of what they are there to do. Be there for the consumer.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM

2013 GLK 350
Dealers

Used Truecar.com and ordered my GLK from the MB dealer nearest my house. Outstanding experience -- both with the internet sales mgr and the dealer here in So. Calif. By the way, dealer did not require any deposit for the special order from Germany.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by CharlieX

My wife and I had the worst experience wit Santa Monica BMW... so rude!

I'm glad, though; we went up a few blocks and bought an Infinity G37 Coupe, which I LOVE!

We drove it past the BMW shop to honk and wave!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM

2013 GLK 350
Purchased last two MBs at Anaheim MB. Tried House of Imports a few years back and walked out after the salesman refused to give a selling price. It was payback a few days later when he called and we told him we already had the car from Anaheim MB.