GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2024 GLC300, 2014 BMW M235i
New windshield

Took a stone hit last week that cracked the windshield on our 12 month old GLK350. Notified insurance company, Safelite came out Saturday and installed a new windshield, a Pilkington brand.

The technician did a clean job and everything looks straight and properly reassembled (I watched the process). But, one minor problem. If I leave our windshield wipers in the automatic mode, the wipers will sweep one time when I turn the ignition key to start the engine. Just once. After that, everything works normally, including the sensor when moisture hits it. The wiper blades do not make this one sweep if I leave the wiper selector in the off mode.

I registered a complaint with the company today via the survey they emailed to me. We'll see what happens...

3.5L
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Lancer Ralliart
Safelite doesn't replace these things with the factory glass- just a compliant generic glass that fits the vehicle. Could be the cause of this issue- does MB even make factory replacement glass I wonder?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I've got a 2010 and about 3 months after I got it the windshield cracked from a stone. I was told that you have to be careful because the non OEM replacements are not constructed the same. I asked for an OEM windshield that is used with the wiper sensor and got it. No problems. The blacked out portions are different for some reason and you need to make sure you get the right one.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2024 GLC300, 2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by MKenM
I've got a 2010 and about 3 months after I got it the windshield cracked from a stone. I was told that you have to be careful because the non OEM replacements are not constructed the same. I asked for an OEM windshield that is used with the wiper sensor and got it. No problems. The blacked out portions are different for some reason and you need to make sure you get the right one.
I may have screwed up on that point. Initially, I contacted my selling dealer and they scheduled a time to bring in my vehicle. They called back about an hour later and stated that I needed to contact my insurance company and have them handle the windshield replacement. My servicing dealer made absolutely no comment that they wanted to or could replace the windshield. So, I figured I was on my own.

Back to the problem with the rain sensor. Well, it's a minor problem, but I would like it fixed. I climbed up on a stool and examined the port in the new windshield for the sensor. It appears to cover the top 1/8 to 1/4 of the sensor. I figure that is what is tricking it.

I've decided not to lose any sleep over this - I don't want things all torn up for a minor problem when all I have to do is turn off the wiper switch. Realistically, this won't be my last new windshield... our roads around here are in the worst shape I've seen them in decades.

3.5L
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Lancer Ralliart
Originally Posted by 3.5L
Realistically, this won't be my last new windshield... our roads around here are in the worst shape I've seen them in decades.

3.5L
I had safelite out this summer to seal two small cracks- they found a third while they were doing the repairs (that repair failed). Since then i've accumulated three more chips/cracks- the roads are the worst that I can remember right now!