GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

ECON Mode Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hyundai genesis
ECON Mode Gone Bad

Noticed the green light would not go on on wife's 2013 350GLK. Took it in and it sure enough, needed to be replaced. Told us it had to be overnighted from Germany. Today they brought out loaner car and took hers. Called around 3:30 and said it was done, but now all the electronics were out. Were overnighting a new disk to download and we should have tomorrow.

I don't have a good feeling about this. Will let you know what happens. Car has all the electronic stuff; distronic, lane warning, blind spot, etc. About 6,500 miles.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM

hyundai genesis
My not a good feeling just got worse. MB dealer called and it's not a software issue. The system controller (?) is bad. The new unit should be in and installed tomorrow. Wanna bet?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Sure!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM

hyundai genesis
The saga continues. MB dealer called to tell us they needed "just one more night". They got the new controller in but then the "Econ Mode" switch went out again. They are in touch with MB Corporate and sure it'll be done tomorrow (today). That was Wednesday. Wife just got off the phone and now they need yet another part which will be in tomorrow. She reminded them that we have a loaner and are going to North Carolina tomorrow night. The service manager said use the loaner like it's your own.

I must say that during this entire episode the attitude of the MB people has made us fully aware of why we bought an MB in the first place. They have been great.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
What dealer are you at?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 PM

hyundai genesis
Bought the car in Charlotte, being serviced near Savannah, Ga
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Subscribed. I know a few that will jump in this thread just to mention how glad they are that they got their GLK before the start/stop was included.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 PM

hyundai genesis
Well, the saga continues. Still don't have the car back, but the problem is diagnosed...riiight! Seems there was a pin hole leak in the air conditioner coil (or some such part) that sprayed water onto some electronic connectors. They are now replacing connectors and parts. Should have car back tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 AM

hyundai genesis
Well, it's now 10 days later and the dealer called. We get our Merc back today after they detail it. They replaced 3CAM units and 2 SAM units, whatever that means, and the Econ Switch. When you pushes the button the green light comes on.

Oh, yeah, there is one little thing. The green light comes on but the Econ Mode doesn't actually engage. MB is studying the problem and should get back to us in four or five days. But the MB will look good 'cuz they can really detail a car.

This has truly become one bizarre event!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Daytime: Slow and easy with 2006 SL500 & 2003 S430 . Night time: Hard and Fast with my wife
man.. i feel for you guys.. but just make sure they didn't give up and installed the Green light runs by a 10 years lithium battery somewhere
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM

2013 GLK 350
Originally Posted by ncgo4
Well, it's now 10 days later and the dealer called. We get our Merc back today after they detail it. They replaced 3CAM units and 2 SAM units, whatever that means, and the Econ Switch. When you pushes the button the green light comes on.

Oh, yeah, there is one little thing. The green light comes on but the Econ Mode doesn't actually engage. MB is studying the problem and should get back to us in four or five days. But the MB will look good 'cuz they can really detail a car.

This has truly become one bizarre event!
Not sure if you figured it out yet, but my dealer told me the ECO mode engages only once the battery has "enough juice" to run all the electronics (ac, radio, interior lights, exterior light, etc) with the engine off. Meaning it takes a bit of driving around before the car will shut itself off in ECO mode. I tested this theory and its true. Mine wasn't shutting off so I called my dealer to figure it out, and sure enough they were right!