GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Export Contacts to GLK 2013 (may work on earlier models)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Export Contacts to GLK 2013 (may work on earlier models)

First, I just want to say that I know that the Command system in 2013 GLK will sync the contacts with a bluetooth connected iPhone, but it takes a few minutes from when you enter the car, and has to do it each time you start the car. Sometimes I need to make a call as soon as I get into the car and I can't until the address book is synced and the voice command is activated. Keeping an addressbook in the command system will make voice calling by name available as soon as you enter the car.

I've read some threads that have been successful by using a laptop and bluetooth. I wanted to try what I thought would be an easier way. I did this on a PC with Microsoft Office Outlook, but you can do it with other addressbook programs. If you have an iPhone, you can get the iCloud applet from apple.com to sync you iCloud addressbook with a Windows or OS X (Apple) computer.

You will also need a memory card. Any size will do as contacts take very little space. 2013 GLK has an SD slot, the older models have a PCMCIA slot which you can use a PCMCIA adapter and a CF card or SD card with.

I made a folder on the card called 'Contacts', just to keep things organized.

In Outlook, go to Contacts and select all of your contacts. Then right click on any of them (while all are still selected) and select 'Send Full Contact' and select 'In Internet Format (vCard)'.

This will create an email with all of your contacts attached as vCards (.vcf files). In the new email window that pops up, you will see that all of your contacts are now in the attachment box in .vcf format. From here you can click in the attachment window and press Crtl + A (which will select all of the attachments). Then, just drag them into a folder on your memory card.

That's it. Put the card in the car, and in Command, go to Phone -> Addressbook and add contacts from memory card. Let me know if this all makes sense or if anyone found an easier way.

The copy addressbook from iPhone to GLK over bluetooth is broken. Everytime I try, the iPhone bluetooth disconnects and the Command shows '0 Contacts Copies'.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
Thanks for the good instructions. I need to do the same to synch my wife's iPhone with our 2011 GLK. Do you think that this approach is easier than the other one I saw mentioned, namely first synching the iPhone with a "regular" cellphone via BT, and then synching the "regular" cellphone with the COMAND via BT?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
I think that depends on how technical you are. This was 'easy' for me, but I work with computers.