GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK250BT: NO Spare Tire; Only Run-Flats!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 GLK250
Originally Posted by HONDO250
The very idea of having a spare tire,quickly changed & on your way...allows time for flat tire to be repaired or replaced,if that is possible at all.Run flat tires are a short time peace of mind,safety within limits.Fear of the unknown ,there is no comment...
This is why I swapped the run-flats for standard tiles (also downsized to 17" wheels to get a bigger sidewall), have a patch kit in the car, as well as the inflatable spare and the OEM compressor that comes with the 350.

Not as good as the full-sized-spare I used to run with my Subaru (it it under the rear deck where the original donut sat), but I figure it will get me out of most situations I'll find myself in.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Viable option

Originally Posted by drumminj
This is why I swapped the run-flats for standard tiles (also downsized to 17" wheels to get a bigger sidewall), have a patch kit in the car, as well as the inflatable spare and the OEM compressor that comes with the 350.

Not as good as the full-sized-spare I used to run with my Subaru (it it under the rear deck where the original donut sat), but I figure it will get me out of most situations I'll find myself in.
I recently read that about the use of a 17inch wheel ,in the available picture it shows the wheel with tire held in place in the back of area of the vehicle.
Peace of mind probably would be a motivation in the choice.
Since there is limited space in that area ,it is a personal choice.
None the less "A great option...

With the proper sealant & the air compressor/jack ...a viable option.
The storage space in the MB GLK for the Sealant,air compressor exists in all Northern American Models especially going to Canada...that has the approved sealant/air compressor.At my first look when I took delivery of my 2014 GLK 250BT, I thought Mercedes Benz Vehicle Sourcing Center in Baltimore had forgotten to include the items. After careful reading of the detailed MB Manual that USA Vehicles had run flat tires. As I better understand my future options , I will probably keep the run flats but replace the Dunlop's Grandtrek' s with the now available tires with better tread wear Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons ,Michelin Latitude HP.Yokahama options.
Tread life with a good AA number are the most appealing
Because of my current locale, All seasons run flats would be a wise decision.
Locale is a factor high much snow , otherwise a winter tire would be necessary .
Reliable Installation by a qualified tire shop would a wise decision,too many shops that still do not have the expertise & equipment to properly remove/replace tires.
Cutting too many corners to save money and taking safety for granted is not my choice.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 PM

2001 ML430, 2014 GLK250
When I last checked, Michelin has a Latitude X-Ice X-i2 run flat for the GLK250. Been running these year round here in Colorado on my ML430 and Camry hybrid (since traded for the GLK250), not the run-flats.

Get about 40K miles on the ML and 32K on the Camry. Short life on the Camry is due to the small tire size, weighs almost as much as the ML due to the hybrid battery and 70 HP electric motor but with much smaller tires.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:58 PM

GLK250
Running Winter tire Run flat

Originally Posted by ferreirabill
When I last checked, Michelin has a Latitude X-Ice X-i2 run flat for the GLK250. Been running these year round here in Colorado on my ML430 and Camry hybrid (since traded for the GLK250), not the run-flats.

Get about 40K miles on the ML and 32K on the Camry. Short life on the Camry is due to the small tire size, weighs almost as much as the ML due to the hybrid battery and 70 HP electric motor but with much smaller tires.
It is only an assumption that a Michelin Latitude X-ICE is a winter tire with a construction that is ideal for Colorado climate.
I have heard that some owners have had success with running winter tires year round...not sure that it would be wise for me to follow that direction...that all season run flat would be a wise decision in my Pennsylvania .At this point in my vehicle's tire life the tread life is still good....however, according to weather forecast ,the winter weather prediction is for cold & snow.Planning ahead ,I am will be talking to my independent tire dealer about my options to keep the price reasonable by upcoming offers .There are always tire sales in my area but run flats seem not to be included on the list. Bridgestone RFT's are on the sale list but not 235/50/R19 for my MB GLK 250BT. The OEM Dunlop's are satisfactory but at issue has been tread life & the existence of some tire warranty.MB dealer tire purchase would be a stupid move despite emails about offers. The price to purchase & mount a tire is at a dealer cost.When I get bids on tires : It's "Out the door pricing" ...IN PA & many other states a Disposal fee is tacked on for good measure ...After Market Sales of used tires is big business , the customer pays for disposal but the disposal is the used tire dealer at the junk yard.
There is always a market for tires with some tread & no damage.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:16 PM

2001 ML430, 2014 GLK250
Huh?

I don't understand your statement: "It is only an assumption that a Michelin Latitude X-ICE is a winter tire with a construction that is ideal for Colorado climate."

It works extremely well here. There are a couple of ice tires with a very tiny advantage in ice traction that are much worse in snow. This is the kind of climate for which these tires are designed.

Having done significant winter driving in Western PA over several winters, I can say unconditionally that these are the tires I'd use.

I certainly agree with your comment about buying tires from the dealer, high prices and nothing but a defect warranty. I've been buying from Discount Tire for years (and 4Day Tire when we lived in Texas) with their optional warranty and never regretted it.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:43 PM

GLK250
Run Flat tires

I don't understand your statement: "It is only an assumption that a Michelin Latitude X-ICE is a winter tire with a construction that is ideal for Colorado climate."

It works extremely well here. There are a couple of ice tires with a very tiny advantage in ice traction that are much worse in snow. This is the kind of climate for which these tires are designed.

Having done significant winter driving in Western PA over several winters, I can say unconditionally that these are the tires I'd use.

I certainly agree with your comment about buying tires from the dealer, high prices and nothing but a defect warranty. I've been buying from Discount Tire for years (and 4Day Tire when we lived in Texas) with their optional warranty and never regretted it.
I do not wish to cause offense because I believe that owners of vehicles using run flat tires are at wits ends in finding a good match.In the research ,there is reference to Summer tires/Winter tires and All-season tires.TIRE CONSTRUCTION /Rubber compounds . In olden days ,I would make an investment in Snow tires mounted on own rims.
Since it is a large investment ,I am looking for a good All-season tires with good tread life.
The writer is quite correct that many parts of western PA are suitable candidates for ICE Tires and if these tires have success in Colorado ,this is a positive.
I have traveled over the years to places in New Hampshire (Mt.Washington) where roads are closed until well into Spring.
I appreciate the idea about the warranty options in future purchases & will consider in my purchase of my next set of Four.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 PM

2001 ML430, 2014 GLK250
No offense taken, just confused

I didn't realize you were looking for an all season tire on which, I'm rather negative. To me all season means a tire that is always a compromise but then, I'm compromising optimal traction and tread life by running ice tires all year round.

I just don't want to change tires 20 times a year. We go offroading in the summer, not as serious with the GLK as with the ML of course, and would have to remount the X-Ice for every trip. All season tires are almost worthless off road, the X-Ice while not perfect is far superior.

Based on what I've read regarding treadlife with the run flats (as low as 15K on Toyota Highlander Hybrid), I might not give up any tread life.

The real dilemma when I need tires in a couple years, do I buy the regular X-Ice and carry Fix-It-Flat cans in the car or go with the run flats (and still carry the cans).

I've considered the space saver tires but the thought of paying $500 for a tire with a 50 mile tread life is not appealing. Additionally, carrying it would be problematic in such a small car.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:11 PM

GLK250
Exclamation A tire for every purpose

I didn't realize you were looking for an all season tire on which, I'm rather negative. To me all season means a tire that is always a compromise but then, I'm compromising optimal traction and tread life by running ice tires all year round.

I just don't want to change tires 20 times a year. We go offroading in the summer, not as serious with the GLK as with the ML of course, and would have to remount the X-Ice for every trip. All season tires are almost worthless off road, the X-Ice while not perfect is far superior.

Based on what I've read regarding treadlife with the run flats (as low as 15K on Toyota Highlander Hybrid), I might not give up any tread life.

The real dilemma when I need tires in a couple years, do I buy the regular X-Ice and carry Fix-It-Flat cans in the car or go with the run flats (and still carry the cans).

I've considered the space saver tires but the thought of paying $500 for a tire with a 50 mile tread life is not appealing. Additionally, carrying it would be problematic in such a small car.
Interesting point , I have read that Toyota is placing OEM Run flats on RAV'S but did not realize that a Hybrid Highlander was on the list. I traded my High mileage Toyota Highlander(bought used) on my MB GLK 250BT & have to agree that 15,000 tread life is low . My Highlander had Cooper Discover A/t Mud & Snow & they were great for getting through any unimproved non-paved road. When I took delivery of the Highlander, I immediately replaced the tires that were barely tread legal...& had a tread that was a Touring street cruising type.Bought from the Toyota Dealer to replace a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 that was recalled by Toyota for rust..& taken off the road to be Scrapped..
Staying on the subject of future replacement of the Dunlop run-flats, I am hopeful that more tire options will be available to do so...Canadian lay-out of special sealant * & Space saver tire, electric air pump is an expensive alternative...
There is no room for the space saver spare ,nor do I plan to purchase the exterior tire carrier on the back or placed on the roof.Not looking for additional expense or assume because I purchased a Mercedes that I have deep pockets for every modification.Thinking through planning of tire replacement was never a plan to come in less than a year of use:
Old 10-06-2014, 12:00 AM

2001 ML430, 2014 GLK250
Our GLK just passed 8,000 and we usually drive less than 10K miles a year so I'm hoping to be able to delay a decision for another 2-3 years. There have been improvements in the run flats over the past 3-4 years and I'm hoping they continue.

Were I replacing today, it would be the Michelin X-Ice as it would not only work well in our climate but is 20mm wider so with a 50 aspect ratio, would provide another 10mm of ground clearance. It has a 29" diameter. The non-run flat is 29.1" strangely enough.

Oh well, I'll just keep monitoring this forum.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
50 mile tread life is an inaccurate assumption. There's far more tread life than that but I don't know what it is. I was forced to drive over 500 miles on a space saver in order to get a tire replacement. Wear on that tire was imperceptible and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it a much further distance. I'm sure it has several thousand miles of tread life.

In a manufacturing screw up I fortunately ended up with regular tires. Mercedes then provided me with the space saver which I was recently forced to use. There's a thread here with the several means owners are using for storage. I just carry mine loose in the rear. The spare tire well is filled with audio equipment.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:33 PM

GLK250
Forum Replies

Our GLK just passed 8,000 and we usually drive less than 10K miles a year so I'm hoping to be able to delay a decision for another 2-3 years. There have been improvements in the run flats over the past 3-4 years and I'm hoping they continue.

Were I replacing today, it would be the Michelin X-Ice as it would not only work well in our climate but is 20mm wider so with a 50 aspect ratio, would provide another 10mm of ground clearance. It has a 29" diameter. The non-run flat is 29.1" strangely enough.

Oh well, I'll just keep monitoring this forum.
I will continue to follow this forum.
In my first inquiry,Run flats were totally bashed but it is not by choice that MB decided to ship MB GLK250BT with run flats to the USA. The Forum response from Canada was space saver tire,sealant & a air pump.I did get an alert that I needed to inflate my tires..and in fact I needed to put air into all four.A good thing because visually without the monitors I would not have known...at first.
They were very low possibly by prank but none -the- less not a good thing to mess with a person's car.
There are other vehicles of other manufacturers such as BMW & Toyota that use run flat tires ,so the market place of tire manufacturers will probably make more sizes that fit my MB GLK250BT??? & in response using various strategies of selecting MichelinX-ICE tires that would last longer than 12,000 miles that was mentioned by those with Dunlop's.Constructive ideas to deal with problems. My local MB dealers has sent me an email to get my tires rotated every 5,000 miles & I will do so at my local repair shop during the Annual Inspection at no cost or low cost instead of at the MB Dealer. If I have a Dunlop tire failure from defect then the Goodyear underwriter can adjust for 12 months. There is a place for MB Dealers especially with warranty work...oil changes I have done at a qualified trusted shop is my choice for the Last 20 years....at a lower rate/hour.A good filter & synthetic oil of proper rating per specification.
I can do without the fresh pastry & freshly brewed coffee served in the Dealer's waiting room.I am not rich & famous but on occasion I do dress up as a valued MB Customer with a tweed wool cap .
My MB dealer has not offered anything as yet that has been free thus far....but I do read most emails.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 glk250
Run flats

Right now my wife is stuck in Moab Utah with a large piece of steel in tire 1 hour after chips, the only tire shop closed and only non run flat Michelens not the dunlops so she's renting a car till Monday. Her roadside assistance was a joke. I guess I will be buying another rim for the next vacation in the glk250.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:47 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by Toppthat
Right now my wife is stuck in Moab Utah with a large piece of steel in tire 1 hour after chips, the only tire shop closed and only non run flat Michelens not the dunlops so she's renting a car till Monday. Her roadside assistance was a joke. I guess I will be buying another rim for the next vacation in the glk250.
What was wrong with the roadside assistance? They at least towed and took her to nearest MB dealer?

But yeah, not having a spare pretty much holds you hostage to the first tire store you go to.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Hi top**
So Sorry to hear of your predicament. Yes - I DO KNOW ALL ABOUT IT!!! We did have a GLK250BT ( now changed to Audi Q5TDI) however we did drive some 9500Miles on GLK of our "around America;s" road trip BEFORE WE TRADED that in for the Audi.
ONE OF the first things we did BEFORE LEAVING on our trip was get WHEEL & TYRE package from tirerack (not their salesman sorry just telling where we got things from)
We didn't want to be stuck in middle of no-where -rest of story you know am sure!!

So we got 18 inch wheel + tire package from Tirerack - we swapped those wheels yourself and also added a set of - Compressor+ patches+Vi* spare tire.

The replacement wheel = Andros N3 (no spacers or wheel-centering etc etc= sits straight on . Tires I chose = Conti Plus with EcoPlus (which was great for gas-mileage)

After driving for 9500miles the SAME MB DEALER gave us a great trade (since we were constantly calling MB & dealer complains with series of issues) with the SAME WHEELS and I still have the Original MB wheel set at our house in MA (for sale now)

The Audi Q5TDI has full-size spare and also a very convenient DEF filler next to the Diesel Filler !! with loads of other small and major convinces that MB didn't have. Only thing I really miss from GLK250 = DoubleTAP HOLD ( brake hold ) which I do miss. but then I can always jump into my SLS when I get back home :P:P

Hope this helps > cheers & happy motoring
Old 10-19-2014, 10:35 AM

GLK250
Run Flats on the Moab

[I have been reading the post concerning the failure of tire & rim on a Mercedes GLK. I agree that it is a Universal predicament to find replacement of tire & rim in the middle of no where.
There are areas throughout the USA ,like rural Maine (off Season) after Labor day where everything is closed until Spring.Resident versus Tourist...
If you observe that many adventurer going through the Moab with best of 4x4 are forced to carry an extra tire mounted on a rim on a roof rack basket.
The adventurer usually carries extra water and a just in case Survival Kit.
Sacrifices are necessary for readiness ...adventurer looking for clean air & the sights.
There is good news about run flats for availability with Pirelli Scorpion Verde,Michelin Latitude Tour HP, Primacy MXV4 , Yokohama Avid Ascend & yes Bridgestone Dueler H/L All are available All-Seasons 235/50/R19
By the time I reach the 9500-12,000 miles on my OEM Dunlop's there will be a better warranty .tread life in a choice of another tire.
Stick with a good retail Tire Dealer , research before you buy and stay clear of fast talking pinstripes and be prepared for every Road trip.
Check out:
Tire Rack info bears out the specification...so not everything is lost.

So Sorry to hear of your predicament. Yes - I DO KNOW ALL ABOUT IT!!! We did have a GLK250BT ( now changed to Audi Q5TDI) however we did drive some 9500Miles on GLK of our "around America;s" road trip BEFORE WE TRADED that in for the Audi.
ONE OF the first things we did BEFORE LEAVING on our trip was get WHEEL & TYRE package from tirerack (not their salesman sorry just telling where we got things from)
We didn't want to be stuck in middle of no-where -rest of story you know am sure!!

So we got 18 inch wheel + tire package from Tirerack - we swapped those wheels yourself and also added a set of - Compressor+ patches+Vi* spare tire.

The replacement wheel = Andros N3 (no spacers or wheel-centering etc etc= sits straight on . Tires I chose = Conti Plus with EcoPlus (which was great for gas-mileage)

After driving for 9500miles the SAME MB DEALER gave us a great trade (since we were constantly calling MB & dealer complains with series of issues) with the SAME WHEELS and I still have the Original MB wheel set at our house in MA (for sale now)

The Audi Q5TDI has full-size spare and also a very convenient DEF filler next to the Diesel Filler !! with loads of other small and major convinces that MB didn't have. Only thing I really miss from GLK250 = DoubleTAP HOLD ( brake hold ) which I do miss. but then I can always jump into my SLS when I get back home :P:P

Hope this helps > cheers & happy motoring[/QUOTE]

Last edited by HONDO250; 10-19-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-19-2014, 11:05 AM

2014 glk250
Originally Posted by bugelrex
What was wrong with the roadside assistance? They at least towed and took her to nearest MB dealer?

But yeah, not having a spare pretty much holds you hostage to the first tire store you go to.
She made it back to her hotel. Tire place is .5 mi.from her hotel,opens Monday. She's renting a Equinox,hope she doesn't like it. When she left it was packed solid. Spare would have to go on top. So i'am considering a new set of OE dunlops and a real spare for trips. Not ready to begin bashing the car. She claims it used a 1/2 qt. of oil so far.Changed it before she left and gave her 3.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:44 AM

'14 GLK250
Originally Posted by miked807
The Audi Q5TDI has full-size spare and also a very convenient DEF filler next to the Diesel Filler !!
Mike, when I shopped the Audi I was pretty sure the Q5 had the space-saver spare, not a full-sized. Are you sure it's a full-size, inflated, full-width spare?

Even the Land Rover LR2 didn't come with a full-sized spare, but the thinner 'donut'. However, there was room for a full-sized spare in the compartment.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:41 PM

2014 glk250
Originally Posted by drumminj
Mike, when I shopped the Audi I was pretty sure the Q5 had the space-saver spare, not a full-sized. Are you sure it's a full-size, inflated, full-width spare?

Even the Land Rover LR2 didn't come with a full-sized spare, but the thinner 'donut'. However, there was room for a full-sized spare in the compartment.
My daily driver is the a3(space saver) so i'am on audi forums(for mods) and the Q5 part of the forums sound like ours- no full size unless you ask and pay for it. My Audis cavity will accept the diameter not the width of a full size spare.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
She made it back to her hotel. Tire place is .5 mi.from her hotel,opens Monday. She's renting a Equinox,hope she doesn't like it. When she left it was packed solid. Spare would have to go on top. So i'am considering a new set of OE dunlops and a real spare for trips. Not ready to begin bashing the car. She claims it used a 1/2 qt. of oil so far.Changed it before she left and gave her 3.
I was wondering if you would have to change all 4 tires. I hear this is required if there is more than a certain amount of wear on the tires (so all 4 will have same diameter).

For a spare, some of us chose the compact collapsible Vredestein that comes as standard on the GLK350. It is a lot easier to find a spot for it!
Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 PM

2014 glk250
Originally Posted by 107123210
I was wondering if you would have to change all 4 tires. I hear this is required if there is more than a certain amount of wear on the tires (so all 4 will have same diameter).

For a spare, some of us chose the compact collapsible Vredestein that comes as standard on the GLK350. It is a lot easier to find a spot for it!
I don't want to jump the gun,so if they can't fix the tire tomorrow and have to replace it with the Michelin. i'am pretty sure my only choice is to get 4 Dunlop run flats and replace. 1340 shipped and possibly 200 for a spare rim tire rack to my house.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
I don't want to jump the gun,so if they can't fix the tire tomorrow and have to replace it with the Michelin. i'am pretty sure my only choice is to get 4 Dunlop run flats and replace. 1340 shipped and possibly 200 for a spare rim tire rack to my house.
Have you a plan on where you would put a full size rim & tire?

I took one wheel off and put it in the cargo space, just to see how much space it would take. Gave up on that and bought the Vredestein (used off GLK350).

Vredestein collapsible spare fits (in a bag with pump) behind either front seat in otherwise not very useful space (when we have no passengers). Had thought about a hitch or roof mount for full size spare, but never pursued either.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:55 PM

2014 glk250

I took one wheel off and put it in the cargo space, just to see how much space it would take. Gave up on that and bought the Vredestein (used off GLK350).

Vredestein collapsible spare fits (in a bag with pump) behind either front seat in otherwise not very useful space (when we have no passengers). Had thought about a hitch or roof mount for full size spare, but never pursued either.
It's really my wife's car and it's her first real long range vacation, in the past they were 700 mi. Round trips. So if i'am forced to take a spare I will put it on top. I installed Thule aero bars so it could be locked and secure. Crappy plan but at least it won't force me to buy another off brand tire( Dunlop run flats are not stocked at discount-just tires -ntb or pep boys)forgot to mention the hitch I installed for our bikes ,I could get a platform.

Last edited by Toppthat; 10-19-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-19-2014, 11:10 PM

GLK250
Another idea

Sounds like a great idea for a collapsible spare with the tire pump.$200 investment in peace of mind.
The North American CANADA Solution ,I suppose....despite no place "to hide"in the storage space usually for a spare.I probably would stick the collapsible spare in the back under the sliding shade "Strap it down some how" or bag it from the elements in roof rack basket attachment lock the tire/rim some how?...whether regular extra tire with rim or collapsible spare ..space is at a premium .
Old 10-19-2014, 11:17 PM

2014 glk250
Originally Posted by HONDO250
Sounds like a great idea for a collapsible spare with the tire pump.$200 investment in peace of mind.
The North American CANADA Solution ,I suppose....despite no place "to hide"in the storage space usually for a spare.I probably would stick the collapsible spare in the back under the sliding shade "Strap it down some how" or bag it from the elements in roof rack basket attachment lock the tire/rim some how?...whether regular extra tire with rim or collapsible spare ..space is at a premium .
How far can you drive on it without screwing up the 4 drive and various sensors
Old 10-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Thats the other major downside to run flats, most large tire companies refuse to even touch them for repair due to liability... you have to hunt around for smaller shops to plug/patch them

And yeah, regardless of run flat or not, you have to replace all 4 if there's more than a 2/32 inch(or close to this) difference in tread. No way to buy a used one on ebay if you're on a road trip.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLK250BT: NO Spare Tire; Only Run-Flats!