GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Dicky Diesel injectors again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLK 220CDI (Diesel)
Dicky Diesel injectors again?

My X204 220 CDI GLK (manufactured in Nov. 2009 and delivered new In Dec. 2009) is still my pride and joy, with 62,000 trouble-free km. on the clock. By September 2010, I had a recall from MB for new injectors (all 4). I never had a problem with the original ones, but apparently many people did. So they changed and I thought no more about it.

And now, I just received a further kind invitation for another replacement of the 4 Delphi injectors (and the guy at MB mentioned something about the ECU, also). Wow! I don't really mind, I have time on my hands to drive the car out to the shop, but... is this real? Yet another Delphi recall? Or is it just a small series of replacement Delphi's that are dodgy?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
No, it's MB's latest (and final?) of a number of steps, in their struggle of cleaning up the Delphi piezo injector disaster, by this "kind" offer to just some 300.000 OM651 owners. And note: they don't name it a "recall". Piezos and ECU out and solenoids in; make them provide you confirmation at the service.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Thanks, GLKKa2H!

Actually, the OM 651 engine is supposed to cover all sorts of uses, from the Vito van to the E-series, with horsepower ratings ranging from somewhere around 150 for the van motor, 170 for the GLK and 200-something for the E. The van runs on solenoid injectors, and I just hope I'm not going to lose 20 horses as a result of the change.

And I also wonder if I will get the same fuel economy. Over 20,000 km, my average fuel consumption reads out at 7.4 l/100 km. Let's see what it will become after the injector swap.

Having said that, what's a few more liters over the expected lifespan of the car, as opposed to limping home on two or three cylinders, or worse, behind a tow truck as a consequence of space-age gizmo injectors that are fantastic on paper, but just not reliable enough for auto use?

Watch this space, we shall see!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Hi GLKKa2H,
I had promised to keep you posted, so here goes. This morning, bright and early, I drove my trusted GLK 220 CDI to the factory outlet in the suburbs. The kind man at the reception desk took my car, and gave me a very nice new C-series Avant Garde for the day, free of charge. While he was filling the paperwork, I tried engaging into small talk and suggested that maybe they were going to replace my piezo-electric injectors by more standard solenoid injectors. He vehemently denied that, and gave me the commercial line about simply an exchange with updated injectors.
To make a long story short, I got my car back this afternoon (on time, and washed and vacuumed, a nice touch), and took a look under the hood (and the plastic engine cover) to see what they had actually done. Clearly, the four injectors (and piping) are new, and although they look a lot like the ones they replaced, they have a fuel return line which wasn't there on the old ones. To cater for that, some extra plumbing was added, with a V-junction spliced into one of the fuel delivery lines. Cherry on the cake: being a bugger of sorts, I had dabbed a bit of white paint on several items (fuel lines, ECU, common rail, fuel filter) to see if they were going to be changed. Well, the ECU is definitely brand new, with, clearly marked in plain letters on the box: "Solenoid". So, GLKKa2H, you were absolutely right! I've only driven the car now for about 30 miles with this new setup. There are no leaks or noises, so the work seems to have been done properly. It's early days to see if the fuel consumption is going to change, but the engine definitely runs very smoothly (mind you, it always did, and I must be the only guy in town who is now into his third set of injectors without ever having had the slightest problem with the car!).
As a conclusion, I would definitely say that MB have dealt very maturely with a major industrial issue. They had a massive problem on their hands, but they didn't let me down although the car is in its fourth year and I didn't take the Extended Warranty. Full marks!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Mercedes GLK 220 CDI 4-Matic - 2011
Also had replacement

Hi!

I also got a letter and had the injectors replaced. I have a 2011 and have never had problems with the injectors to start with. Car still runs the same I think but my fuel comsumption is a Little high I think and has Always been.
Besides that I have got the tail gate motor replaced under warranty. Next time I buy a car I will not get electric motor for the tail gate. Only worry I have is the transmission as their has been some cases of people having to change the entire transmission due to the transfer case. Probably more common on the 350 as the engine is so powerful but still a worry. Otherwise I like the car and love the design of the car. It is very stable on high way, silent and comfortable for being a compact SUV.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 AM

I wouldn't be too worried about the transfer case. going through the threads, it would appear that this was mostly a problem for the M-series and the earlier 7-gear trannies. Mine runs as smooth as silk (touch wood!). Normally these transmissions should last a lifetime. Just make sure you get that oil change (with the appropriate oil) at about 50/60,00 km and you should be OK for a while.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 AM

Mercedes C250CDI
Injectors

Hi Everyone.

I really need your help.
Everyone knows that there is a recall for the fuel injectors with c220 and c250 cdi right?
One month ago the injectors in my car packed up and caused the engine to overheat and melted 2 pistons.
They are telling me i have to pay for repair (£16K) before they send the engine to Germany for inspection, although it has been approved under warranty subject to their inspection.
I have written to them saying that it is known that it is a common fault with mercedes and they are telling me now that there is no Recall on the injectors.
My question is:
Has anyone got a letter from Mercedes regarding this recall.
I have a copy from the dealer with the ESKULAB approval and is mentioned there that there is an outstanding campaign/Recall on the injectors.
Looks like i am to fight this in court and i am hoping that someone could send me proof that this letters are going out so i can prove that they are misleading.
I never got a letter from them but i read somewhere that they are sending letters out.

Sorry for the long email.
This is giving me sleepless nights and do not know what to do.
Thanks for reading and appreciate all help you can give
Old 06-26-2013, 06:25 AM

Diesel Injectors

Hi Nelson,

As quoted in my original message, it would appear that MB are clearly not going to use the word "recall". I was informed of an "update" not by mail, but by phone. And as previously mentioned, the guy at the reception desk did not encourage me to believe that they were actually replacing piezo injectors by solenoid injectors, with all the related plumbing and electronics.

I don't see how a modern MB Diesel can blow two pistons on its own. There must have been something badly wrong with the fuel injection system. I'm sure your lawyer will know about "consequential damages" and you really shouldn't be paying the bill, unless there is something about your car, its maintenance or your driving that I don't know.

BTW, since my injectors have been replaced, I can definitely confirm that my overall fuel consumption has gone down (over 3,000 km) from
7.4 l/100KM to 6.7 l/100KM. A good improvement, for no loss of performance.

Keep us posted!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM

As stated in my first post on this thread (and now by ticondo46), MB does not use the word "recall" when they are dealing with the injector disaster.

In an attempt to give you a valid advice on your sad story, we would need the build date of your C-class, and the mileage at the breakdown. The 250 GLKs were intially equipped with piezos, but then later on with solenoides.

Regarding any kind of "letters", could I give the German GLK forum a try, as some posters there have reported getting written papers asking them to turn in the vehicles.

You may as well take a look at the MBClub UK Blue Efficiency injector recall:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engin...or-recall.html,

as the culprit applies for the OM651 engine as such, and not only the C-class. Start at the end of the thread and go backwards. Cheers.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Mercedes C250CDI
Thanks for the replies.
I got the car on contract hire on 28.04.2011.
The car was a brand new car with delivery miles on the clock only.
Now it has 31700 miles.

I have a document from the dealer where it says that there is an outstanding recall on the injectors.
The faults showing are injectors and engine leaks.

i will try to upload the ESKULAB report soon.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:45 PM

Most likely does your 250 CDI C-class have the Delphi piezo injectors, the date of delivery being reported. The world wide by MB "Kundendienstmaßnahme", as it's called in Germany (more equivalent to a service measure), is an action taken by the company to replace the Delphi piezo injectors by - solenoides.

There are reports from individual (GLK) OM651 owners, that they have had cylinder breakdowns caused by injector failure and repair being carried out by engine replacement, that is within the warranty period.

Two "public" references (to which I have referred in another thread on the forum) covering the piezo injectors problems:

Mercedes fixes diesel injector problems: http://www.carsuk.net/mercedes-fixes...ctor-problems/

Keine Piezo-Injektoren mehr! Vierzylinder-Diesel OM651 nur noch mit Magnet-Injektoren: http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...et-injektoren/

Make your dealer/MB service depot confirm the installed injectors are Delphis, and given there still isn't a warranty case in question, I'd raise the case to your "MBUK" if such exists.

I'm still looking for a potential source on the German forum, for a letter from Mercedes regarding this ""Kundendienstmaßnahme" / "service measure".
Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Red Star
Hi!

I also got a letter and had the injectors replaced.
Hi there, "country" neighbor!

As you may have seen is nelson_leal007 looking for a MB letter, which I now became aware of again that you have received, regarding the "injector thing". If you still have the letter on hand, would it be possible to get a copy, which I assume is written in Swedish? If so, I could PM you my e-mail.

The objective of this is to send a translated version to nelson, may be with the "original copy" as well.

Or maybe you could take the task?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 AM

Mercedes C250CDI
Can you guys tell me what would be the main reasons for the cylinders to lose pressure and for the pistons to melt?
Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Restricted air intake,Fuel timing, Poor spray pattern, restricted exhaust,
Mixed Gas and Diesel by mistake, plugged piston cooling jets.
It depends upon what part of the piston melted.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:13 AM

Mercedes C250CDI
They say it melted the crown of the piston.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 AM

Mercedes GLK 220 CDI 4-Matic - 2011
GLKKa2H :

Sorry. I have looked through all papers to the car and can not find any letter. Thinking about the situation I remember that I was Calling to book a service later on and then they told me on the phone that they would do this "update" as they called it at the same time as the service. No official letter as it seems.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Thank you very much for the try

Notification by phone seems to be most reported by OM651 owners on the Germann GLK forum as well.

Do have a nice holiday down south
Old 05-01-2015, 09:39 AM

c220cdi 2012
Originally Posted by nelson_leal007
Hi Everyone.

I really need your help.
Everyone knows that there is a recall for the fuel injectors with c220 and c250 cdi right?
One month ago the injectors in my car packed up and caused the engine to overheat and melted 2 pistons.
They are telling me i have to pay for repair (£16K) before they send the engine to Germany for inspection, although it has been approved under warranty subject to their inspection.
I have written to them saying that it is known that it is a common fault with mercedes and they are telling me now that there is no Recall on the injectors.
My question is:
Has anyone got a letter from Mercedes regarding this recall.
I have a copy from the dealer with the ESKULAB approval and is mentioned there that there is an outstanding campaign/Recall on the injectors.
Looks like i am to fight this in court and i am hoping that someone could send me proof that this letters are going out so i can prove that they are misleading.
I never got a letter from them but i read somewhere that they are sending letters out.

Sorry for the long email.
This is giving me sleepless nights and do not know what to do.
Thanks for reading and appreciate all help you can give

I have a C220 CDI 2012 with 29000 miles on the clock and I have the same issue. I am being asked for £7.5K in advance of any repairs. The engine gets sent to Germany and if the Germans agree there is a technical failure I get my money back. If they deem the quality of the first "A" service (done before I bought the car) is an issue then I get the total repair bill of £13K.
MB did the "B" service at 21500 miles 10 months ago and there have been absolutely no issues until this.
I have had the car independently inspected at my cost (at the MB dealers) and the consultant has said their has been a component failure that has absolutely nothing to do with the first "A" service or any service.
I can't risk a £13K bill , but I want the car fixed. The 3 year manufacturer warranty ends in June 2105.
Any ideas on how do I progress this?
Thanks
Old 05-02-2015, 01:32 PM

Blown Pistons

Guys,

I'd love to help, and I hope that MB will not let you down, but it may be a struggle. Your description of the problem does not fit with my understanding of an injector failure. As explained by bop11, there may be a cause-to-effect relation, but frankly I think MB will end up telling you that a normallly cautious driver should have noticed a stuttering engine, a massive loss of power, smoke, vibration etc, that should have commanded a rapid stop and switch-off of the engine, with no further consequences other than changing the faulty injectors.

Am I right in assuming that in both cases, your cars were bought second-hand? I know that the OBD/ECU will register any past over-revving of the engine or lousy down-shifts leading to mechanical damage. These cars should not reach the forecourt with a Star guarantee, but in the real world, dealers hope for the best and sometimes push cars that may have had a rude awakening in life.

Regardless, good luck! My 220 cdi is now in its sixth year, pushing close to 100,000 km, still has its four original Continental tires with a lot of rubber left on them, burns no oil, fuel consumption over the last 20,000 km is at 6.9 l/100 km. Basically, a pure joy. But again, I do my own oil and filter changes, and use only Mobil 1 ESP 5/30 (none of that Petronas goo in my car!). The only thing that was ever changed on this car were the injectors, all at MB's expense, and before they actually packed up on me.

My only question now is: should I be changing the oil in the two differentials? I popped into an MB outlet and asked this question. They flatly told me that I didn't need to, it's not part of the standard service (except for AMG's) and they never do it for any of their customers. Still, I find it hard to believe that oil in a diff can go on forever. And I have every intention of keeping this car until we both die of old age.

Any opinion, guys? Glynn, are you there and reading? Your opinion is Gospel to us all.