GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Rear seat reading lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
Rear seat reading lights?

My owner's manual shows two individual reading lights with individual on/off switches for the rear seat passengers. But our 2011 GLK with the panorama sunroof has nothing of the sort - it has a single light, which cannot even be turned on/off from the rear seat, only from the front overhead console.

Is this normal?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 X3 M Sport, 2014 ML350
I believe these lights were a part of the leather package, which included additional cabin lighting. I have MB Tex and have the same rear light you described.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 AM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by zagil9
I believe these lights were a part of the leather package, which included additional cabin lighting. I have MB Tex and have the same rear light you described.
Ah, that explains it, thanks! The manual does not tell you which features are standard and which are available with optional packages, which is somewhat annoying.

I wonder if I can retrofit the optional overhead lights into my GLK?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 X3 M Sport, 2014 ML350
Originally Posted by lyonkster

I wonder if I can retrofit the optional overhead lights into my GLK?
It seems possible, power is already there. May not be quite so easy though.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Maybe not so easy. Remember most switches on these new vehicles are not in the power line but are just digital inputs to the microprocessor. The computer turns on and off power to the device. That way the switches are in the low current loop and need only be small contacts, read cheap and less prone to contact burn, and not big to carry the full current demand of the actual device. This is why you can't power your Radar detector from the lines in the front overhead light box. So it may take a program change to actually have the power wires to those lights turned on.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 AM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by bop11
Maybe not so easy. Remember most switches on these new vehicles are not in the power line but are just digital inputs to the microprocessor. The computer turns on and off power to the device. That way the switches are in the low current loop and need only be small contacts, read cheap and less prone to contact burn, and not big to carry the full current demand of the actual device. This is why you can't power your Radar detector from the lines in the front overhead light box. So it may take a program change to actually have the power wires to those lights turned on.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I found some used C350 rear reading lights on Ebay, and although the size and shape looks similar to the GLK, the photos of the back show two connectors, one near each lamp/switch. I haven't pulled the GLK lamp out, but I expect it will only have one connector. At this point, the last thing I need is another project on my hands , so I think I'll velcro two small flashlights in the back for the rear passengers to use (J/K).
Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Be original, get those lights that look like light bulbs from that guy on TV. No connections, they are battery powered. Pull chain switch. Just Velcro them up and your GLK will be special. You might need some lamp shades to help the driver see, but any good lamp store should have the clip on type.