My 2014 GLK 350 is on the way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by Alex Bel
For sure I'll publish progress...
I can't believe, on Thursday, October 3d I've received second notification from IFF Forwarder about vehicle Customs Clearance and today, October 4th I've got email from my CA ordering dealer that he has call from my local MI dealer "that they received your car today", so I can contact them for the final delivery.

So, the timing for ED of 2014 GLK250 BT was:

- dropped off in Frankfurt on September 2d
- loaded on vessel on September 16th
- discharged in Baltimore on September 30th
- liner released on October 1st
- customs clearance on October 3d
- arrived in MI on October 4th ???

I'll go to dealership tomorrow and we will see what happens...
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
WOW! Congratulations! That IS fast!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Clearing customs to Michigan in a day? That truck was waiting.

My 2014 GLK250 build turned yellow in the system. That means last opportunity to make any changes. I said in one discussion thread that I didn't order the Driver Assist Pkg (Distronic). I never use cruise control because it's annoying, so I figured the Lane Tracking Pkg was sufficient. Until last weekend when I was sitting in heavy traffic thinking, "If I had Distronic, I could let the car move itself." Decision made. Now the full Driver Assist Pkg has been added.

I also asked if they would paint a color from a different class on a GLK. I was thinking that a GLK in Ruby Black from the S Class would be hot. Honestly, I expected the answer would be, "Yes, but it costs a whole lot extra" to the tune of something more than I would have been willing to pay for it. The actual answer was a flat out "No." Oh well.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by Bob338
WOW! Congratulations! That IS fast!
After 3 days standoff between my CA ordering dealer and MI dealer who refused to release the vehicle to me asking CA dealer to pay outrageous $1500 for the "courtesy delivery" the case closed - I've got my car yesterday washed up and filled with full tank of diesel.

Can you believe that? The $1500 for car wash and tank of the diesel and refusing to release the vehicle to me when I came with everything - plate, registration, insurance, copy of application for a Title. All done by myself.

I am glad that car is finally mine, but this "last mile problem" does not make me happy. Can you imagine after so many months of wait and so quick travel over the ocean to see my car 10 feet away behind the locked fence and not be able to get it?

I do not know what helped them to end standoff - my "scandal" at MI dealership, calls to MBUSA customer service and emails to ED program department or just the payment from one dealer to another.

No complains to my CA dealer, only huge THANKS, for all work he done for me starting with ED order (with extra discount), help and valuable suggestions with travel arrangements, help with financing, etc. I cannot count how many emails went back and forth without ANY delay day and night.

But as far as future relations with this local MI dealer - no way. I've read before a few negative reviews about them, but did not pay attention. Now I do. They lost the current and future customer and I think they do not care.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:47 PM

2008 SLK
How can I track my Mercedes after I get the vin#?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:34 PM

You can get the name of the ship from your sales person and you can track where the ship is, but Mercedes-Benz does not have a customer-facing portal to track the car. Your sales person can give you updates.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:42 PM

2015 E350W4, 2016 GLE350W4
dealers dont get the ship name. it just says "ship assigned" with a ETA on arrival at the port and another ETA on dealership arrival time. Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ksimone64
dealers dont get the ship name.
Yes, they do. Or at least mine does, but I really don't think they're special in that regard.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
My GLK250 is now sitting on the dock at Bremerhaven. No ETA yet because not assigned to ship yet.

Still earlier than I expected and I am not in a hurry. Once it comes, I have to pay for it!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
GLK Factory Build Timeline...

For the benefit of those that have recently begun the MB factory order process, can you please post the timeline of your GLK250 purchase, i.e., when you ordered your car, when you were provided a Decade Build date, when the vehicle was actually built and the date MB has indicated delivery should occur? Any additional details regarding your factory order experience would be greatly appreciated.

And if you don't mind my asking, when did your dealer provide you the VIN?

Thank You,
Jim
Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by BigBoeing

For the benefit of those that have recently begun the MB factory order process, can you please post the timeline of your GLK250 purchase, i.e., when you ordered your car, when you were provided a Decade Build date, when the vehicle was actually built and the date MB has indicated delivery should occur? Any additional details regarding your factory order experience would be greatly appreciated.

And if you don't mind my asking, when did your dealer provide you the VIN?

Thank You,
Jim
I don't have all that information. All I know is that I ordered on Sept 3rd. About 2 weeks ago, car was apparently "In Production" but no VIN assigned. This week, it is on dock at Bremerhaven awaiting a ship and loading. No ETA assigned yet. It must have a VIN, but I don't have it or care about it really.

I have not been pushing for info. I am often at dealer for parts for my old cars, and they volunteered some of the above info. I am in no big hurry. When car gets here we will have it. We have enough old cars to drive. The GLK will be our Go-South car and not needed for a few months yet other than check it out and get familiar with it.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:11 AM

For the benefit of those that have recently begun the MB factory order process, can you please post the timeline of your GLK250 purchase, i.e., when you ordered your car, when you were provided a Decade Build date, when the vehicle was actually built and the date MB has indicated delivery should occur?
* Emailed configuration to sales rep on August 20.
* He immediately gave me a choice of two decades: first decade October or third decade October. I chose the third decade of October.
* Car was built October 25.
* Sales rep told me on October 31 that the car shipped and the name of the ship.
* Ship is currently in the middle of the Atlantic, due in Baltimore next week.
* Delivery will be when they call me and say, "Your car's here." For my location, it is normally about three days, give or take, after the boat docks.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
Balticgreen,

Thank you. I'm impressed with how quickly they shipped your GLK250 after it was built.

Interesting it took so long to get a Decade Build date from the time you e-mailed your desired configuration. I'm curious as to how Decade Build dates are allocated to various dealers.

Best Regards,
Jim
Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Interesting it took so long to get a Decade Build date from the time you e-mailed your desired configuration. I'm curious as to how Decade Build dates are allocated to various dealers.
The dealer had earlier allocations but they were already pre-sold to other customers and thus not available to me. The GLK250 has been very popular in my area. I had a difficult time even finding one to test drive because most were sold before they arrived.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
GLK250 Factory Build Timeline...

Balticgreen,

Thank you and very interesting. That sure explains your Decade Build delay. I'm wondering if perhaps the reason I got a build date so rapidly after placing my order is because somebody cancelled their order at our local MB dealer? Don't know...but I'm very thankful nevertheless to have a November Build Decade date given demand for the vehicle.

There are very few GLK250's available at dealers throughout New England, and most are sparsely equipped. Darned sure nothing I'd want to buy, and precisely why I finally ordered the vehicle.

Why dealers are scrimping on options on the GLK250 is beyond me. I simply can't see paying serious money for a vehicle, and then scrimping on the options. But that's just me. I'm all ears if anybody has insights on this dealer phenomenon.

Best Regards,
Jim
Old 11-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Why dealers are scrimping on options on the GLK250 is beyond me. I simply can't see paying serious money for a vehicle, and then scrimping on the options. But that's just me. I'm all ears if anybody has insights on this dealer phenomenon.
Dealers order what they expect will sell. Do the dealers in your area typically order stripped GLKs or are they only doing it for the 250? Maybe they expect the 250 to attract more budget-minded customers. Personally, I feel budget-minded customers would be better served at the Honda dealership across the street but that's probably why I don't have a job ordering cars for dealer inventory.

Also, how much scrimping are you talking about? Do they not even have the Premium package? With nothing but P1 and heated seats (the two options that are on nearly every GLK here), the GLK250 and GLK350 4Matic are both over $44k. Most of the GLKs that I've seen on lots are between $44k and $49k, with a few popping up in the low $50s. Under $44k and over $52k seem rare. Mine is almost $60k and I could tell the dealer was nervous about it in case I fall through and they have to find a different buyer.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
Dealer Builds on GLK250...

Balticgreen,

I've primarily seen the Premium 1 package and heated seats, but NO combinations of Premium 1, Multimedia Package, Light Package, Heated Seats, etc. They seem to order with the Premium 1 or Multimedia, but not both. I've never seen the Lighting Package offered up here. And our dealers almost always stick with Black or White...very few in a metallic option.

It may well be that they're trying to down-market the GLK250. I don't foresee many Toyota/Honda customers walking across the street to look at the GLK250, however I may be wrong. The vehicle has received numerous laudatory reviews in auto magazines and several large circulation US newspapers. That stuff counts for sales.

Best Regards,
Jim