GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Considering a GLK250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250BT
Considering a GLK250

First, thanks to all the posts and all the info. on this site. I've been lurking for a few weeks, but decided to join now that I'm going to get serious about considering a MB.

I am looking for clarification on the Map Pilot and Ipod Integration. I am interested in a bare-bones GLK250, just heated seats and metallic paint and adding the Map Pilot.

As I understand, the Ipod integration kit is located in the glovebox along with the Map Pilot connector. Can you have both? Does having the Map Pilot exclude the Ipod integration? Do I really need the Ipod integration? How is this different from a standard USB connection.

Please respond, if you can clear this up for me. I like to KNOW everything before I even contact a dealer.

BTW, I am leaning towards the Pebble Gray.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1) iPod - in your proosed "bare bones" GLK250 - without Premium 1 package - but with "iPod connectivtykit" - the iPod/iPhone "connectivity" is bare bones too - which will consist of a round port inside the center console similar to a headphone port - from that you run a cable to your iPod/iPhone - there are very-very-very few GLK250's coming into the US with that basic of a system/connectivity. Basic, you control music/audio selection from the iPhone/iPod

2) Premium 1 gives you a dedicated connecting cable outlet - including a expanded port/interface - including a connecting cable - that cable then runs to your iPod/iPhone if 30 pin connector (or you can add Apple approved Lightning adapter 30pin-Lightning on that , and in turn you have more control from whichever system - Audio 20 or upgraded COMAND. With Premium 1 you also get a 2nd USB data port down there as well.

3) Becker Map Pilot requires having the Becker Map Pilot pre-wiring - then whether the Map Pilot unit is ordered on the factory build, or later added as a dealer accessory - the Map Pilot unit plug-n-play is $600 more.

I understand if you are intending to mange your budget - and I respect you on that direction.

The two facts are these - 1st, that basic connectivty is so basic even the Mercedes part's reference guide is incorrect - it is a round port similar to a headphone port - and basic means all control continues with your device - you select aux input from the system, then all content playback is controlled from your iPod/iPhone.

2nd fact - the COMAND Navi is hugely-hugely more effective than Map Pilot - and you have 7" screen with COMAND and you have a whole bucnh of more added features wrapped up in that upgrade.

To get exactly what you want - more likely than not you will need to pre-order a 2014, most likely best case this moment end-October delivery - if your cool with that all is OK - if you're not then your best convenient dealer can do a regional inventory and incoming search and advise you what inventory or incoming unit is closest to your "wants" list..
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM

2014 Mercedes GLK 250 Bluetec
Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you don't need the full premium package to add the USB/iPod control ability, but only the "Media Interface" option which can be added as a stand alone option for about $300.

I asked this question in another thread and it was never specifically answered, but from reading the mercedes site info it appears this "Media Interface" option is exactly that -- it adds the USB port and the ability to read music from an iPod or USB stick drive.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
"Expand" iPod/MP3 Media Interface on the MBUSA entertainment & Convenience website: http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...#entertainment

Note the MB Media interface webpage Media Interface: http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/...008-10/~topic/
Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Thanks so much for your responses. In searching dealer inventories, I don't really see any vehicles with the Connectivity kit ($300 option), as most have P1. That's really disappointing that all MB can provide is the ancient headphone jack as standard equipment. I also think it's also ridiculous that for $40k there's no back-up camera. C'mon MB, even entry level models from other manufacturers have cameras!

I'm going to have to re-consider my options, since I rely on an iPod for much of my music and really need a USB port.

I know the Command system is the superior system, but I can live with the smaller screen of the Map Pilot.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM

2013 GLK250BT
I don't know how accurate mbusa.com is, but . . . for the GLK 250:

They show Aux In and USB ports as standard. There is no mention of the Connectivity Kit or Map Pilot pre-wiring as available options.

They also list Bluetooth audio streaming as standard, so that would work for me vs. upgrading to the Command system.

Please comment, if you have anything to add or corrections.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 PM

GLK 250 or 350 soon
Originally Posted by mike-nc
I don't know how accurate mbusa.com is, but . . . for the GLK 250:

They show Aux In and USB ports as standard. There is no mention of the Connectivity Kit or Map Pilot pre-wiring as available options.

They also list Bluetooth audio streaming as standard, so that would work for me vs. upgrading to the Command system.

Please comment, if you have anything to add or corrections.
I just purchased a barebones GLK 250 last week. The only upgrade it has is the Map Pilot pre-wiring which I didn't even want, but it was already on the vehicle.

The 250 DOES have a built in USB port which you can use with your iPod. It also comes standard with Bluetooth music streaming, which I've been using every day, and it sounds great.

Personally, I didn't feel like the Premium 1 package was worth it for me, and the base GLK 250 is a very nice vehicle. I'm extremely pleased with it so far.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Thanks for the info. Was the pre-wiring listed on the window sticker? What was the cost?

I may consider the P1, but I really don't want the sunroof. The other features are things I can do without.

Right now my "perfect" GLK250 would have heated seats, H/K audio and metallic paint with Map Pilot as an accessory. I'm not sure if MB is actually building them with the H/K audio as a stand-alone option, even though it's listed on the webpage as such.

BTW, congrats on your new ride!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM

GLK 250 or 350 soon
Originally Posted by mike-nc
Thanks for the info. Was the pre-wiring listed on the window sticker? What was the cost?

I may consider the P1, but I really don't want the sunroof. The other features are things I can do without.

Right now my "perfect" GLK250 would have heated seats, H/K audio and metallic paint with Map Pilot as an accessory. I'm not sure if MB is actually building them with the H/K audio as a stand-alone option, even though it's listed on the webpage as such.

BTW, congrats on your new ride!
You can get P1 without the sunroof. I've seen at least one 250 at a nearby dealer that had it configured that way. I can't remember how much it cuts off the price.

Map wiring costs around $200 I think. You should be able to order one straight from the factory with P1/No sunroof, H/K, heated seats, and map wiring.

I agree with the no sunroof concept, especially here in TX. Plus, I wasn't in love with the GLK sunroof.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by texasGLK
You can get P1 without the sunroof. I've seen at least one 250 at a nearby dealer that had it configured that way. I can't remember how much it cuts off the price.

Map wiring costs around $200 I think. You should be able to order one straight from the factory with P1/No sunroof, H/K, heated seats, and map wiring.

I agree with the no sunroof concept, especially here in TX. Plus, I wasn't in love with the GLK sunroof.
We discussed this before - you had the choice to have P1 without the sunroof (Q01 Package) with 2013 model.
According to my dealer "1) MB took away the Q01 Package, the Premium 1 Package that they offered on the 2013 WITHOUT the Panorama Sunroof. The 2014s will come only with the P01 Package that has the Panorama Roof, sorry."

Can someone prove otherwise?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No one has to "prove" anything - Q01 was not a orderable option for MY13..- it was a MY13 production/factory stop gap when the supply of sunroof's fell short..
Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Prius, GLK at port
I saw a few GLK's without a pano, but the rest of the package. I wanted the Pano but not the rest of Package 1 and it was indeed produced for a short time.

I located one and purchased it and there was at least one more at port around May 20. Got my GLK on May 30.

I love the double Pano as it increases visibility and gives a much more open feel. I drove one without Pano, and did not like it as much. Riding downtown the views of the city were incredible.

But to each his own. I agree about the camera, come on MB. But you will adjust . I had it on the Prius, and used it for parking.

I mildly regret not having auto dimming mirror, but I think that might be added.

Mine came with heated seats, becker connection, and a Pano, for about $36,4000
Old 06-28-2013, 02:25 AM

2014 Mercedes GLK 250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by texasGLK
I just purchased a barebones GLK 250 last week. The only upgrade it has is the Map Pilot pre-wiring which I didn't even want, but it was already on the vehicle.

The 250 DOES have a built in USB port which you can use with your iPod. It also comes standard with Bluetooth music streaming, which I've been using every day, and it sounds great.

Personally, I didn't feel like the Premium 1 package was worth it for me, and the base GLK 250 is a very nice vehicle. I'm extremely pleased with it so far.
Are you able to control the iPod by using the radio/steering wheel controls? (either if you are using bluetooth music streaming, or if you plug into the USB port)

That is the big issue for me. I want to be able to leave the iPhone in my pocket (or plugged into the USB port) and control it by using the radio controls.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by eric5273
Are you able to control the iPod by using the radio/steering wheel controls? (either if you are using bluetooth music streaming, or if you plug into the USB port)

That is the big issue for me. I want to be able to leave the iPhone in my pocket (or plugged into the USB port) and control it by using the radio controls.
The iPod cannot be controlled by the steering wheel buttons except for volume and muting. The control is totally with the joystick on the lower center console.