GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK250 vs GLK350 mountain roads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350 4MATIC, 2013 GLK350 4MATIC
GLK250 vs GLK350 mountain roads

Hi guys, I have a 2011 GLK350 with 265 HP. I love it. But I am thinking getting the GLK250 Diesel for my mom. Since it is 2.1 I4 with 200 HP.
Has anyone notice how much harder the GLK250 has to be pushed when constantly driving uphill at around 65-80 mph compare to the GLK350, e.g. driving up the LA Grapevine, or driving up Lake Tahoe on I80/I50?
Is the V6 inherently better? I have never driven a Diesel before....
Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 BMW M3, '11 GLK350 AMG (RWD)
Diesels have tons of torque down low. I would think it would sound more relaxed going up a mountain.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
I picked mine up in Europe several weeks ago, drove 2100 miles on mostly mountain roads through the Alps and Italy. It was loaded with 5 people plus luggage. There was absolutely no strain nor problem, nor any perceptible lack of power. There was always more throttle available.

When I picked it up the technician at the factory asked if I wanted him to set the speedometer to kilometers or miles. I asked he set it to kilometers to conform with traffic signs. Driving out of the factory on the autobahn I was driving it 'slowly' but trying to move with traffic @ about 80 kph. Traffic was moving faster so I easily kicked it up to 110 kph. I was still evaluating the driveability when there was a panic stop required. Because of the long stop I was questioning the brakes. I shortly realized that the speedometer was actually set to MILES per hour, not kilometers. The technician had goofed. Stopping under the circumstances from the speed I was traveling, was 'normal'. No question on the braking force. Never had any need for more power under any condition.

Been a while since I have driven a GLK350 but my perception is that there is not much difference in the power nor the driveability. The power band just provides the torque in the lower r's with the diesel. I can't see power will be a problem under any conditions short of towing a heavy trailer, and even then I think the diesel will outperform the gasser because of the higher torque in the lower end of the power band.

It's a non issue in my mind. If you're looking for a hot rod, buy a Porsche.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by Bob338
...When I picked it up the technician at the factory asked if I wanted him to set the speedometer to kilometers or miles....
Sorry for the hijack.... are you saying the analog speedometer (the round dial with the needle) can be factory set for MPH or KPH? I always assumed you can bring up a digital version of it on the screen and change that between the two. Would be great if it can be done on the dial too.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM

No, I'm not saying that. I presume it can be done, as it can on the E350, which is why I was comfortable with the technician offering to change it. It wasn't an issue with me. There is a digital display in one of the display modes which indicates kph, and along with some experience and mental ability with that conversion, it didn't matter to me.

There probably is a means to change it and I'll look it up in the E350 manual. I know the E350 was delivered to me in Germany indicating kph and was changed over at the VPC before it was delivered to me. I looked it up back then and the means was there in the system. That one does switch back and forth but there is a process to it. This system is almost identical to the one in my E350 but I just looked in the GLK manuals and can find nothing on that ability to switch. I'll post what I find when I get around to checking the E350 manual.

I think that ability may be there and that is why the technician asked the question. Although I will say that the only minor criticism I had in this entire European Delivery process, was that my technician didn't know the car very well. I got some bad information from him. I attribute that to the fact those cars are assembled in Bremen and trucked down to Stuttgart for ED. I don't believe that many deliveries of this model occur there and there is a bit of an experience and knowledge gap with that lack of familiarity. I saw many models delivered in the day I was there and only saw one other GLK for delivery. I was also very clearly told about the AC operation and controls and what I was told was completely wrong.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Curiosity got the best of me.

I've looked up the change in the E350 manual. That section is clearly eliminated in the GLK manual. I see no difference otherwise in the systems. My GLK is currently seasick on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic so I can't experiment, but some other curious owner here can.

The E350 manual, p219, in the instructions of 'Settings menu' and 'Selecting the permanent display function', takes you to the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. The path is: Settings> Inst. Cluster> Permanent Display> Select either 'Temperature' (Celsius or Fahrenheit,) or 'Speedometer'. The latter enables you to change to mph or km/h. Press OK and you have what you want.

That section does not appear in the GLK manual and possibly they have programmed the software to eliminate user ability for the that change.

If those same options are hidden in the manual yet appear on a GLK, then you CAN change the display. I'll still bet it can be done.

Last edited by Bob338; 06-28-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM

yes
No, I'm not saying that. I presume it can be done, as it can on the E350, which is why I was comfortable with the technician offering to change it. It wasn't an issue with me. There is a digital display in one of the display modes which indicates kph, and along with some experience and mental ability with that conversion, it didn't matter to me.

There probably is a means to change it and I'll look it up in the E350 manual. I know the E350 was delivered to me in Germany indicating kph and was changed over at the VPC before it was delivered to me. I looked it up back then and the means was there in the system. That one does switch back and forth but there is a process to it. This system is almost identical to the one in my E350 but I just looked in the GLK manuals and can find nothing on that ability to switch. I'll post what I find when I get around to checking the E350 manual.

I think that ability may be there and that is why the technician asked the question. Although I will say that the only minor criticism I had in this entire European Delivery process, was that my technician didn't know the car very well. I got some bad information from him. I attribute that to the fact those cars are assembled in Bremen and trucked down to Stuttgart for ED. I don't believe that many deliveries of this model occur there and there is a bit of an experience and knowledge gap with that lack of familiarity. I saw many models delivered in the day I was there and only saw one other GLK for delivery. I was also very clearly told about the AC operation and controls and what I was told was completely wrong.
Thanks for the info. It's easy to change (by the owner) on the digital display of my '94 Saab but you definitely cannot change it on the analog display.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Well, at least SOMETHING works on the Saab!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 PM

yes
Well, at least SOMETHING works on the Saab!
19 years and almost 200,000 miles with no major problems. Other than old batteries, never failed to start. Engine is still strong and the 4-speed auto. gearbox seems to shift more smoothly than the two GLK's I've tested (gas and Diesel)!

Last edited by MBKLUE; 06-28-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Yeah, I know! Feel the same about my '85 M-B 190D. Just runs and runs with only the nit-picky little problems that go along with age. I has very little power, (72 HP, un-aspirated,) and yet I drive it around 95% of the time with the E350 sitting in the garage.

Just pulling your chain!

Transmissions and shifting. . . I have never perceived the shifts in the transmission on either the E350 nor the GLK, better than smooth!

Last edited by Bob338; 06-28-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:51 PM

yes
Yeah, I know! Feel the same about my '85 M-B 190D. Just runs and runs with only the nit-picky little problems that go along with age. I has very little power, (72 HP, un-aspirated,) and yet I drive it around 95% of the time with the E350 sitting in the garage.

Just pulling your chain!

Transmissions and shifting. . . I have never perceived the shifts in the transmission on either the E350 nor the GLK, better than smooth!
My Saab has good power (170hp - no turbo) but there is something to be said about "low" power - longevity. I seriously considered the GLK Diesel but I'm just not convinced modern, high-output, complicated Diesels are going to last anywhere near as long as the more "relaxed" Diesels of "yesterday" that would be happy to run off of used deep fryer oil!

Less hp leads to more relaxed driving and a more relaxed driver at the destination!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MBKLUE
. . . . .. but I'm just not convinced modern, high-output, complicated Diesels are going to last anywhere near as long as the more "relaxed" Diesels of "yesterday" that would be happy to run off of used deep fryer oil!

I'm certain they won't! But I do expect they'll last longer than the gassers using all that ethanol in our current fuel. I'm a diesel fanatic through and through. A '78 I had went 400K miles with no major repairs and the '85 is older than your Saab and if anything it's running stronger and better than it ever did, even when new.

Apologies for hijacking the thread. Sorry!