GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Tell me 3 things that you DON'T like about your GLK250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by mike-nc
Since I started the thread and really used all the information before purchasing, here are my three things (all really, really minor and it's only been a few days):

1. Reflections of outside air vents in both side view mirrors (just a little distracting, but I'll get used to it.)

2. Automatic door locks sound harsh when locking during acceleration-sounds less than premium. (I know I could disable, but it's a function that I like to have.)

3. Back-up camera only available in an expensive package. It should be standard in all MB SUVs.
Hilarious... Just noticed this for the first time yesterday... I thought something we wrong with my passenger mirror... Lol
Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 PM

Prius, GLK at port
I thought the mirrors looked weird. Ha
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 VW Golf TDI, '13 GLK 250
Originally Posted by bigd69
I've only put 76 kms on mine but so far I can only think of one thing- the cruise control stalk could be a wee bit shorter as I sometimes hit it rather than the signal stalk when turning.

So far, that's it...but I'll check back in tomorrow PM if I find any more issues as we are taking a 7 hr road trip tomorrow for my daughter's graduation ceremonies.
Second thing is the door lock pins, they stick out way too far and my arm always seems to rest on them. They are also very cheap looking, made of low quality plastic with some sharp edges on them.

The third thing I don't like is that I can't seem to have the sunroof popped up (rather than open and back) with the shade closed. Sometimes it would be nice to have the airflow but to be able to block the sunlight.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
I've only put 76 kms on mine but so far I can only think of one thing- the cruise control stalk could be a wee bit shorter as I sometimes hit it rather than the signal stalk when turning.
I hit the wrong stalk too, but not because of the length. For some reason, with the interior facelift, they flipped the turn signal and cruise stalk positions. Now when I drive a GLK, I end up hitting cruise when I want to turn. I guess I'll get used to the new positions but why change it? The turn signal was in exactly the right position before and now it's too high.

The third thing I don't like is that I can't seem to have the sunroof popped up (rather than open and back) with the shade closed. Sometimes it would be nice to have the airflow but to be able to block the sunlight.
Wait, really? You can't pop up the back of the panorama roof and have the shade closed? I don't have a panorama roof currently but I frequently do exactly that when parking in the sun. I think I'm going to miss that.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by balticgreen
For some reason, with the interior facelift, they flipped the turn signal and cruise stalk positions. Now when I drive a GLK, I end up hitting cruise when I want to turn. I guess I'll get used to the new positions but why change it? The turn signal was in exactly the right position before and now it's too high.
I picked mine up in Germany a couple of months ago. I asked that very question at the factory. Their answer was that the European Union had mandated that in the future, all cars manufactured in Europe had to have that configuration. I presume it will also apply to the French cars as well and BMW, Porsche, VW and Audi, along with all the Italian marques.

I found it was very easy to get used to. I have had a bit of confusion after returning home and driving the older E350, but I think it's just a different habit to which you need to adapt. I found no problems with it after a while and actually prefer it as it makes more sense to me anyway.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 PM

2017 GLC43AMG
Panaramic

Originally Posted by balticgreen
I hit the wrong stalk too, but not because of the length. For some reason, with the interior facelift, they flipped the turn signal and cruise stalk positions. Now when I drive a GLK, I end up hitting cruise when I want to turn. I guess I'll get used to the new positions but why change it? The turn signal was in exactly the right position before and now it's too high.

Wait, really? You can't pop up the back of the panorama roof and have the shade closed? I don't have a panorama roof currently but I frequently do exactly that when parking in the sun. I think I'm going to miss that.
My las 2 SUVs did not allow this either so it's not new for me!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM

GLK350
Reported before, but a cosmetic pain. Entry and exit on drivers side rubs the trim surround and tears the rubber weather strip. Hard to protect and harder to repair.
:-(
Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
The silver on silver tach is almost impossible to 'glance' to see what speed you are going. The only work around is to switch to the digital speed display (but u loose the extra nav)
The following users liked this post:
Wheatridger (11-02-2023)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 AM

'02 VW Golf TDI, '13 GLK 250
found another peeve

Why do I have to hold the seat memory button until the seat moves into position? Never had to do this before, should be a push without a hold...I"m 6'7"and my wife is 5'6" so I have to stand outside of the vehicle and hold the button for nearly 20 seconds until the seat fully adjusts to my setting. Grrr.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 AM

2017 GLC43AMG
Why do I have to hold the seat memory button until the seat moves into position? Never had to do this before, should be a push without a hold...I"m 6'7"and my wife is 5'6" so I have to stand outside of the vehicle and hold the button for nearly 20 seconds until the seat fully adjusts to my setting. Grrr.
Never understood this.... It's the same on our c350!

Got stuck yesterday waiting for my seat to go back to my position in -25 weather with blowing snow... Not fun!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Its a safety guard, if you are driving and accidently hit the wrong button, you dont want to get distracted while it moves all the way.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:26 PM

2010 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2014 Mazda3
Originally Posted by bugelrex
Its a safety guard, if you are driving and accidently hit the wrong button, you dont want to get distracted while it moves all the way.
They could've easily made it so that we'd have to push and hold for 3 seconds then the seat goes to position all the way.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 PM

2017 GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by glayfan40
They could've easily made it so that we'd have to push and hold for 3 seconds then the seat goes to position all the way.
Agree 1000%

My 250 is going in again next week for new key fob/battery and broken driver headrest... This is 5th time to dealership in 20k not very happy!

Our C350 was flawless this glk is costing me a lot of time!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by kenobee
3. windshield wipers seem really sub-par for a luxury vehicle. they streak and squeak easily with mild-moderate precipitation. Only with a downpour do they not do this.
do you use rain-x?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Rixard
Unfortunately the GLK memory functions are only for seating, steering wheel and mirrors. The throttle is based on driving. Approximately the last 100Km.

If you and your wife drive very differently try a Sprint Booster. It electronically overrides the GLK computer to make the throttle linear and more responsive. The newer ones allow you to set it by push button to three different settings.

This allows it to be stock for the wife and responsive for you at the touch of a button.

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/default.aspx
I believe transmission response is the real issue. Here are a couple of tricks that might help. When accelerating, if you progressively push the gas pedal the rmps will go higher to 3-3.5k before upshifting. When driving, if you tap the gas once or twice (quickly) it will downshift and be ready for acceleration.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250
My 5, & opinions

1) Pop out hooks in the sides of the cargo area to keep grocery bags
upright. (my Subaru had them!)
2) Basic audio package should have an Aux input jack in addition to the
USB jack.
3) Auto high beam function's too sensitive. On dark back roads, (the
only place it works at all), a post light by a driveway dips the beams
from over 100 yards away. Still this way after dealer adjustment.
4) To much wind noise at highway speeds for a high end vehicle.
5) Occasionally notice a Diesel smell when exiting after a drive. Will get
this checked at first service.

I agree a backup camera should be standard or a stand alone option like
Nav or tow hitch.
While I personally like the engine braking, the paddle shifter's there if
you don't.
Agree wipers are not up to expectations, but then it won't be the
first time I've replaced OEM blades after only 4-5 months.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM
tn1

2013 GLk 250
For me:

1) Why no front fog light? But why a rear one when it confuses other drivers in North America? And why dim the front led DRLs when the headlights are on?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 PM

2013 GLK250BT
2) Basic audio package should have an Aux input jack in addition to the
USB jack.

Mine has the Aux. jack near the USB port in the center console. Used it last week with a portable DVD player.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:19 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
There's a small annoyance with the blind spot assist at large intersections. When there are two (or more) lanes that turn left, you're not in the left-most lane, and there's a car to your left, the blind spot assist senses that other car and thinks you're going to merge into that car. So it beeps and flashes like you're about to have an accident when really you're just turning within your lane exactly as you're supposed to do.

The blind spot assist is inactive below 20mph so it won't do this if you're not going faster than 20, but at large intersections you'll be going faster than 20 by the time you complete the turn.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
My biggest annoyance is that it gets such good mileage I have to take a break between fill ups... I've never had this issue with any of my other vehicles... lol
Old 01-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
  1. The driver and passenger window really tend to fog up in cold weather, and only stop doing so if the fully dedicated front defrost is activated.
  2. The windshield angle causes a ton of rock chips, and ours is already cracked after less than 2 months of ownership.
  3. The AdBlue filler tank is difficult to get to without removing nearly everything in the hatch area.
  4. Yes I know you said 3, but the windshield wipers are the worst I've had on any vehicle that I've ever owned.

This stuff makes it sound like I hate the vehicle - really not true at all, I really quite like it. It's my wife's daily driver, so I don't drive it as much (I don't like how SUV's drive, so I wouldn't use one daily)... but it's a great highway vehicle and the 370 ft lbs of torque in the diesel is great fun, especially in ****ty weather, it's actually rather easy to mess around with and drift out the back end with ease.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Cwdawson
My biggest annoyance is that it gets such good mileage I have to take a break between fill ups... I've never had this issue with any of my other vehicles... lol
Does it need to be refilled? I have had my 250 for over a month and it is still running on the dealers original fill.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by koalatm
  1. The driver and passenger window really tend to fog up in cold weather, and only stop doing so if the fully dedicated front defrost is activated.
  2. The windshield angle causes a ton of rock chips, and ours is already cracked after less than 2 months of ownership.
  3. The AdBlue filler tank is difficult to get to without removing nearly everything in the hatch area.
  4. Yes I know you said 3, but the windshield wipers are the worst I've had on any vehicle that I've ever owned.
I haven't driven car enough to notice any fogging.

Is the angle of the windshield different from other comparable SUVs?

I agree the Adblue access is really bad. It is clear that this car was not designed to be a NA diesel and they must have assumed only dealer would add Adblue.

I have used the wipers several times - seemed to work OK? I was confused about rain sensors, but they seemed to work. Do they work on rear too? I guess I should read manual!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM

SLK 350 2013
Smile

Originally Posted by 107123210
Do they work on rear too? I guess I should read manual!
The rear wiper will automatically activate if the front wipers are active and you shift into reverse.
They don't have an "auto" mode for normal driving, only intermitant.

For my part, 42,000 km since mid-july. No problems.

1) I had some problems with fuel freezing at -27 celcius, but none since I started adding power service or kleen flo.

2) Same issue with humidity. I don't run the compressor all the time, so the side Windows fog slightly when it's cold and the "auto" setting doesn't send enough air to the windshield to keep it fog free or melt freezing rain. I use manual settings.

3) My girlfriend gets her pant legs dirty when she steps out as it's a wide reach to step out for a 4' 11" lady.

Minor stuff. ... Really am pleased, especially this morning with freezing rain, 4 inches of slush on ice covered roads. (Studded tires help).
Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 PM

2010 BMW 335d, 2013 GLK250
Originally Posted by rmeier1
5) Occasionally notice a Diesel smell when exiting after a drive. Will get
this checked at first service.
I suppose this might be your first modern diesel vehicle? The burning diesely smell you're noticing is most likely due to the DPF regeneration cycle. Its a normal thing for a diesel car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tell me 3 things that you DON'T like about your GLK250