GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New GLK Owner - Grille Black-Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11' GLK350 - AMG Package
New GLK Owner - Grille Black-Out

Well this is my first post on MBWorld Forums but I am no stranger to forums / mods. I notice there isn't a lot of modding going on on this forum but I've thumbed through a lot of helpful threads nonetheless. I picked up a 2011 GLK w/ AMG Apperance Package yesterday and within hours had the grille apart and blacked out. Next up will be blacking out the LED DRL bezels and the center chrome bumper fascia as well as a few other subtle / tasteful mods. I'll try to document / ad pics as they happen since there are not really many mod threads in the forums.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
yes
Every day I don't see a "subtle" or "tasteful" GLK mod on here I'm just that little bit happier. When I see something blackened on a car I think "there's another guy that bought a can of black spray paint." No more, no less - but that's me...

Anything that's not black can be blackened. What's the point? Easy to do, no real challenge. When do you stop? Where do you stop? Someone once wrote they thought about blacking out the headlamp reflectors.... God, I hope they were joking.

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
Well this is my first post on MBWorld Forums but I am no stranger to forums / mods. I notice there isn't a lot of modding going on on this forum but I've thumbed through a lot of helpful threads nonetheless. I picked up a 2011 GLK w/ AMG Apperance Package yesterday and within hours had the grille apart and blacked out. Next up will be blacking out the LED DRL bezels and the center chrome bumper fascia as well as a few other subtle / tasteful mods. I'll try to document / ad pics as they happen since there are not really many mod threads in the forums.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM

11' GLK350 - AMG Package
It's actually called Plastidip, pretty amazing product and completely reversible, you should look into it. Not "just another can of black spray paint"

I understand different strokes for different folks but this forum (x204 specifically) is the most conservative I've ever been a part of. I've modded every vehicle I've ever owned and this one will be by far the most conservative in terms of what I have planned for it, but I understand the majority of this forum will bash and complain that my vehicle doesn't look like every single other one of them on the road.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
yes
I'm familiar with Plastidip. Not really bashing. I just don't get it. There are various ways to blacken things and I can appreciate fine workmanship/painting/coating. Pretty much everything is reversible with respect to painting/coating/plating. Doesn't mean I like it or it makes sense to me. Reminds me of when "everybody" riveted wings on their trunks so their cars didn't look like every other car or when I lived in Colorado and "EVERYONE" went up to the mountains on the weekends "to get away from it all."

I certainly doubt that the majority (or anywhere close) on this forum will complain about or bash your changes.

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
It's actually called Plastidip, pretty amazing product and completely reversible, you should look into it. Not "just another can of black spray paint"

I understand different strokes for different folks but this forum (x204 specifically) is the most conservative I've ever been a part of. I've modded every vehicle I've ever owned and this one will be by far the most conservative in terms of what I have planned for it, but I understand the majority of this forum will bash and complain that my vehicle doesn't look like every single other one of them on the road.

Last edited by MBKLUE; 07-16-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM

08 C350
Looks good, you should black out the stupid chrome **** around the LED's. I have no idea why buying a MB means I want chrome everywhere.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:16 PM

11' GLK350 - AMG Package
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
I'm familiar with Plastidip. Not really bashing. I just don't get it. There are various ways to blacken things and I can appreciate fine workmanship/painting/coating. Pretty much everything is reversible with respect to painting/coating/plating. Doesn't mean I like it or it makes sense to me. Reminds me of when "everybody" riveted wings on their trunks so their cars didn't look like every other car or when I lived in Colorado and "EVERYONE" went up to the mountains on the weekends "to get away from it all."

I certainly doubt that the majority (or anywhere close) on this forum will complain about or bash your changes.
I understand and appreciate your thought process and position, I to hate the overplayed "murdered out" look and just blacking items out because you can. In this case, the end game is to replicate the new Mercedes "stock" style (such as CLS AMG cars) of the black and chrome trim.

I do automotive paint on the side but with the advancements of Plastidip I see no reason in making any paint change permanent when it can look just as good for cheaper and be reversible. The pic below of my Escalade has the hood trim molding (strip along top part of grill attached to the hood) color matched as well as the Cadillac emblem, and that is 100% Plastidip! No way you'd ever know unless I stated it

Last edited by baggedlvintegra; 07-16-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
Everyone has their own opinion for sure, I myself use plasti dip it is a great product. Congrats on your new GLK, make sure to post pics when you are done.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
check out Mr. JLT's glk
I think he did a very good job.
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-jlts-glk.html