GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK HK Logic7 option and Multimedia package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK HK Logic7 option and Multimedia package

Hi,
As we move closer to submitting a 2014 build, we are debating about the MultiMedia package. The only thing of value for us is the rear view camera but it's not important enough to spend >$2,500. It appears that the important component, the upgraded amplifier, is tied into the HK Logic7 upgrade ($850). When reading the description, it appears that multimedia package is required to get the most out of it (quality sound system is important to us). Can anyone shed some light on what multimedia offers that improves the sound. Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the head unit was the same between the standard and multimedia (minus the larger display screen) and the amplifier is part of the HK Logic7 option.

Below is the description for HK Logic7. Note the last sentence:
harman/kardon LOGIC7® sound systemSpecifically engineered for the GLK-Class, this premium digital sound system fills the cabin with 510 watts of beautifully balanced audio. No fewer than 11 strategically placed speakers plus the rich bass of a subwoofer deliver a wholly immersive listening experience. Digital Dynamic Volume Control impeccably and imperceptibly maintains the sound spectrum for consistent listening pleasure in varying driving conditions. And on models also equipped with the Multimedia Package, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound technology adds to the experience.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:24 PM

2013 ML350
i have the HK system and have been very pleased with it performance. The sub and amps are all packaged under the spare tire in the rear and you have the other channels for the Dolby surround in the rear deck up higher. It does add to the separation of the sound, but the upgraded drivers and clean multi channel amplification will give you a very nice signature , assuming you have a clean source being fed into the head unit.

As a baseline, I am a recording engineer with 25 years of experience. I have several vehicles with custom systems and I would say that the HK system is worth 2k. There is also something to be said for integrated and warranty if you should need it.

There are times that I put in a CD and am pleasantly surprised by the impact and bottom end. Its a worthy upgrade in my opinion.

Of all the options in the GLK I would say that this one is worth while. But then again I drive by sound :-)
Old 07-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks CMASTEN for the input. If there was only a way I can look at the specifications of the audio component to see if there was any significant differences. The general summary for the multimedia is this:
Multimedia Package $2,860
Rear view camera
Voice Control
Navigation with 80GB hard drive and 3D map views
7-inch high-resolution color screen
Gracenote® Media Database, including album cover art
In-dash 6-disc DVD/CD player and SD card reader
10GB Music Register
SiriusXM Traffic and Weather

None of this describes if the audio performance itself is different to warrant such an increase. Other than the rear view camera, I don't have any use for the other features as the standard already comes with USB connectivity. If I can save some money if the sound coming from (standard + HK7 option) is the same as (Multimedia + HK7 option) from those who may have heard both configuration.

Another option I don't quite know the difference is the media interface. Is the only difference between media interface and the standard usb the ability to control your music device through the steering wheel controls?

I spent too much time focusing on the drive and handling that I didn't even allow the salesman to turn on the radio. Thought the options would lend itself to stand out more.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!!!

Last edited by JHBENZ; 07-20-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 PM

2013 ML350
audio is very subjective. If you have an opportunity to take a high quality CD with you down to the dealer and play it to see the difference between the HK and the standard system that would be ideal. Something that your really familiar with. That is what I did, I was going to just take the standard system out and rebuild it with FOCAL if it didnt work. But .. I found that the HK system was worth the difference, albeit I bought a CPO GLK. So paid about $750 more not the $2500 that you are looking at.

either way your going to like the GLK. I really enjoy driving mine.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:19 PM

2013 GLK250BT
I'm still a bit confused about the USB vs. multimedia interface, as well. Can someone please summarize and/or clear up the details?

Standard audio-has USB in center console, but it will not work with an iPod to "control" it, just volume level and muting with steering wheel controls, is this correct? Will the Command knob control the iPod?

Standard audio-USB will or will not play music from a thumbdrive? Can it be controlled (tracks selected, folders, playlists, etc.) from the steering wheel?

What does the Multimedia option add, as far as functionality or integration?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Multi-Media adds "integration" that Audio 20 simply does not have.

Audio 20 provides a aux input only - no "integration".

Hope that clears that up for you..
Old 07-21-2013, 12:00 AM

99' Lexus RX300-retired, 01' BMW 330i
I don't have HK in my GLK. But I have HK in my C-class and bimmer and the sound quality is much much better than w/o. If my GLK was ordered, HK would be my top priority. GL
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM

2013 GLK250BT
Thanks so much for making that clear. I appreciate the info. and your patience to answer my questions. What about audio files on a USB drive? Can this function similar to an iPod? Show cover art, etc?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Multi Media - if you export iTunes to USb - yes, you get cover art
Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 AM

2013 GLK250BT
Ok, but do you if this is the case without the MM option (standard audio)?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Let me be clear - again - Audio 20 does not have integration, it has aux input function only - think of it like a plug in to your iPhone headphone jack
Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM

2013 GLK250BT
fabbrisd1,

I don't think I was clear. I was referring to using a USB drive on a standard audio (no MM).

I took a chance and copied a few files from my iTunes to a drive and plugged it in at the dealership (2013 GLK250BT). I was surprised to see that the cover art is displayed!

That's great for me, even though my iPod won't integrate. I can live with using a USB drive for music.