GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Canadian GLK 250 BT have inflatable spare+pump, can USA owners use the same?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by mflores342
Are you sure it is a 19 inch rim, that tire will be too tall for a GLK. The spare tire in mine is 185/75R17 and it is the same as the one sold in Kijiji. The stock tires are 20's. All the 2014 GLK350 sold in Canada currently have 20's. The AMG upgrade is also a 20.
Sorry - I have changed the previous post, it should have said 185/75R17. According to the MBCanada site, the base GLK250 has 19" wheels as standard and the GLK350 has 20" as standard. But OD of tires is likely about same. Seems strange for them to supply different tires just because of the different engine.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C350 4M Sedan , 2014 GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by 107123210
Sorry - I have changed the previous post, it should have said 185/75R17. According to the MBCanada site, the base GLK250 has 19" wheels as standard and the GLK350 has 20" as standard. But OD of tires is likely about same. Seems strange for them to supply different tires just because of the different engine.
It is the demographics of the buyers. GLK250 buyers are aiming for better fuel mileage. The weight of a 20 vs 19 creates a difference on the mileage as the 20 is a heavier tire. I am really surprised that the GLK250 did not come with 17 inch rim as standard.

I also just realized that the MOE (extended mobility tires) are not currently available in 20, since the GLK250 does not have a spare, hence the 19 instead of the 20

Last edited by mflores342; 10-26-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-26-2013, 02:47 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by tn1
MY GLK came with 20" wheels -- tires are 235/45-20
If someone buys the optional 20" wheels or the AMG package that comes with 20" wheels with their new GLK250, then what protection do they have in case of a puncture?

The car comes with no spare, and according to mflores' post above, MOExtended tires are not available in 20" . So no protection at all? Only option would be to have car towed.

Staying with the 19" wheels is only slightly better. The 19" MOEs are not true runflat and are Mercedes specific and unlikely to be available even at smaller MB dealers.

My dealer says that the MOE tires are designed to suit the suspension of particular Mercedes models. As a result they could be in very limited supply and expensive.

Just not a good situation all round.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:17 PM

2014 C350 4M Sedan , 2014 GLK350 4Matic
as you can sympathize to lisa on this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...run-flats.html

Runflats does not give you that insurance as well as they can only be driven 50 miles or 80 km at speeds of 50mi/80km per hour max. going over that can ruin the structure of the tire and the only fix will be a replacement. I had a puncture on the BMW last summer and it was an uneasy feeling driving around till I got to the tire shop. The tire held up but it was still uncomfortable in such that you are highly sensitive to the speed you are travelling and even braking, you try to be nice and easy.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:49 PM

2014 GLK250
Posted by Lisa Johnson-Stott · Brillantmont International School on http://driving.ca/mercedes-benz/glk-...k-250-bluetec/

As the owner of a GLK250 Bluetec and of many previous Mercedes Benz, there is one major issue that seems to have been overlooked by Mercedes Benz (despite the tire kit!) Purchasers of this vehicle should bear in mind that if you live anywhere in Canada where cell phone coverage is sporadic or you intend to take a trip driving this car to such an area, consider this first:

I am a female and live in BC in Canada and our nearest MB garage is 120 kms away. Cell phone coverage in our Province is not as established as in urban areas and there are parts of BC where you can drive up to 4 hours without any cell phone service.

Story

I leased my GLK250 Bluetec, ex demo with 1500 kms on it in May this year.

In June, I went on a trip and on the way back the sign came up "check run flats". I ignored it for a day and by the next day the t...ire was so flat that the wheel rim was sitting on the tire itself.

I called MB assistance and explained about the run flat sign. I asked her what this meant and was told that as I had run flat tires on my car, I could inflate it and this still enabled me to drive up to 80 kms per hour and take it to the nearest MB garage which is 120 kms away. I told her I didn't believe I could do this as it is a highway and the tire looked like it couldn't be saved. After a lot of back talk from her, I finally convinced her that she should organize a tow truck (which had to come from 60 kms away) and collect the car and take it to Vancouver.

This was arranged and the next day I took a bus to pick my car up and was presented with a bill of $575 as the tire could not be saved.

Last week, the run flat signal came up again and I took it to the local garage to see if they could fix it. They did and it cost me $24. I asked them what they would charge me for run flats and they said that I don't have run flats on my car! and that a good quality regular tire replacement would be around $275 - $300.

As you can imagine, I am annoyed on several levels. Not least the fact that I was led to believe that I had run flats but that I overpaid for a regular tire from MB. The main concern is that as I don't have run flats, I am nervous that I am not not able to drive the vehicle outside of any urban area as I risk being stranded somewhere without cell phone coverage. The tire kit will not help with a blown out tire.

Of course, I have taken the matter to MB Customer Service based in Ontario which is a lot more urban than BC and I don't believe they comprehend the severity of what they are exposing their BC clients to? They have basically washed their hands of it and said that the vehicle does not come with run flats as standard and they also do not recommend that I carry a spare tire in the car "as there is no safe way to secure it and the safety of their car drivers is of utmost importance to Mercedes Benz."!

Am I missing something here? does this mean that a woman stranded in the middle of nowhere without any cell phone coverage or spare tire is not a safety issue created by Mercedes Benz?

I would welcome any comments and/or suggestions of what to do. Frankly, I just want to give the car back as it doesn't give me any comfort driving it now.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by ninfru
Excellent! I would like just one like that. Can it be purchased? With compressor. I would definitely will ask my dealer.
I would rather not depend on MB roadside assistance. Especially somewhere in upper NY state or Vermont.
And one would wonder endlessly why MB couldn't find a space for such a tiny spare.
Vredestein provided following information regarding size of Space Master:

The dimensions of our Space Master 185/75-17 are:
When deflated:
New Maximal width: 169 mm (6.65in)
After 2000km Maximal width: 169 mm
New Maximal Diameter: 551 mm
After 2000km Maximal Diameter: 578 mm (22.75in)
When inflated with tyrepresure 2.8bar (static dimensions):
New Nominal width: 190 mm
After 2000km Maximal width: 197 mm (7.75in)
New Maximal Diameter: 725 mm
After 2000km Maximal Diameter: 737 mm (29.02in)
By comparison, a full size 235/50-19 tire would be 9.25" wide and 28.25in diameter.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:41 AM

2014 GLK 250 Bluetec
just bought a new GLK 250 and I see the electric tire pump under the rear cargo floor but I don't see the canister. Is it included or do I need to buy it separately?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by bflaman
just bought a new GLK 250 and I see the electric tire pump under the rear cargo floor but I don't see the canister. Is it included or do I need to buy it separately?
Look in the compartment on the left side, verticle door, where there is access to the tail lights. The canister should be inside there.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Rather a negative comment, but... for those Canadian owners.... check for your pump after visiting your dealer..... mine is gone!.... and only been to 1 dealer for warranty work! Someone there helped themselves to it and there's no way to prove it. Perhaps the carwash /detail guys decided it was better in their car. It was definately there when I purchased the car....
I have heard others have had the same surprise...
Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Koenig1
Rather a negative comment, but... for those Canadian owners.... check for your pump after visiting your dealer..... mine is gone!.... and only been to 1 dealer for warranty work! Someone there helped themselves to it and there's no way to prove it. Perhaps the carwash /detail guys decided it was better in their car. It was definately there when I purchased the car....
I have heard others have had the same surprise...
I can't imagine that happening at our dealer. But, if the pump had to be removed to get at the Adblue filler, I could imagine someone forgetting to replace it. If that happened to me, I would first discuss with service manager. If no satisfaction, the dealer owner/manager and if still no luck, MBCanada customer service. If still no luck, there are two dealers in Ottawa? Share the one that is not being cooperative. They are responsible for your car while they have it. Everything but personal stuff, I imagine.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
I have a quick question. I've looked through my manual on my 2013, But I can't find any instructions on how to use the compressor with the cylinder of what I assume is sealant. Where can I find instructuions on how to use the sealant (and on which tires)? I have continental MO tires, Not MOE. We purchased the car a few months ago, and the tires now have 30k. If I do get low pressure, am I supposed to put the sealant in and then use the compressor? And since these Continental are MO (Mercedes Original), and therefore not true runflat, why can't I use the the compressor and the sealant on a conventional tire? Also, what is different between the sealant/compressor supplied, and a can of tire sealant you get at the auto parts store? You put that into the tire and then use a compressor. And they are not for run flats. Don't understand why MB would provide sealant with a compressor if the tires are run flat.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 AM

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...ant-pros--cons

Used to fix punctures. Not for regular maintenance.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:13 PM

Thanks. I understand fix-a-flat is used to fix punctures. What I'm missing (can't figure out) are:

1. Where are the instructions on how /when to use the sealant and compressor?
2. Is it supposed to be used on my MO's (Continental 4X4 Contact 235/50R19 M+S 99H MO)?
3. Since the Conti MO (Mercedes Original) are NOT MOE, does that mean that when I have low pressure on a tire, rather than an MOE (where (after checking what the problem is) I just keep driving another 50 miles at
Old 01-17-2016, 05:30 PM

You use the sealant and compressor when you have a puncture in the body of the tire and you need to increase the tire pressure. A spontaneous flat or radical air loss. No way you can get the sealant in there if there is air in the tire since you must remove the valve core to get the sealant in there.

The sealant can be used on ANY tire where there is a chance it can seal the leak, even a run flat. You have the same tires I have. The only flat I've had resulted from hitting rocks on a road brought down in a storm. The lesion was too big to repair with sealant. The sealant and compressor is for emergency situations. If a tire is flat and you have no other alternative use your best judgment in utilizing it. A low tire is NOT a flat.

Run flats have a thicker wall to keep rims off the road surface. They are for emergencies also. If you can get to a tire repairer within a relatively short distance, they'll get you there. They are not made to drive forever. Low tire pressure is NOT a flat. It can and usually is maintenance. Tires lose air through the rubber which is the reason checking tires monthly, or in radical temperature changes, is highly recommended. Use the compressor in ANY situation where it will get you out of a critical environment.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:31 PM

Sorry, the rest of my reply above got deleted somehow....

1. Where are the instructions on how /when to use the sealant and compressor?
2. Is it supposed to be used on my MO's (Continental 4X4 Contact 235/50R19 M+S 99H MO)?
3. Since the Conti MO (Mercedes Original) are NOT MOE (extended--run-flat-like), does that mean that when I have low pressure on a tire, rather than an MOE or true run-flat (where (after checking what the problem is) I just keep driving another 50 miles without adding any sealant), with the MO, do I first need to first add sealant and use the compressor before driving?
4. If I have to add sealant and air to the MO before driving, why can't I just use conventional tires and do the same thing? What's the difference between MO (not MOE) and conventional tires?
5. Since the manual says MOE but my tires are MO, is it possible the PO could have gone through a set of MOE in 10-15k miles, and then purchased a set of MO and burned through them by 30k (we got the car at 27,500)?

On top of all this, I usually get Michelins at Costco (too many problems with other tire dealers here in the south bay (San Francisco Bay Area) and none with Costco). However, Costco doesn't sell run flat, and won't sell me any conventional Michelins or Bridgestones to replace my run-flat unless I have a spare in the back. If there was anyone in the south bay with an GLK350 spare that I could borrow for a day, I'd do that just to get the conventional tires and keep the sealant and compressor in the car....

Answers, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated. While the front tires are not quite to the wear indicators, my wife said she noticed some hydroplaning two days ago, so she's going to want me to get new tires soon (hopefully El Nino gives Northern California enough rain that I'll really need new tires now.......)
Old 01-17-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bob338
You use the sealant and compressor when you have a puncture in the body of the tire and you need to increase the tire pressure. A spontaneous flat or radical air loss. No way you can get the sealant in there if there is air in the tire since you must remove the valve core to get the sealant in there.

The sealant can be used on ANY tire where there is a chance it can seal the leak, even a run flat. You have the same tires I have. The only flat I've had resulted from hitting rocks on a road brought down in a storm. The lesion was too big to repair with sealant. The sealant and compressor is for emergency situations. If a tire is flat and you have no other alternative use your best judgment in utilizing it. A low tire is NOT a flat.

Run flats have a thicker wall to keep rims off the road surface. They are for emergencies also. If you can get to a tire repairer within a relatively short distance, they'll get you there. They are not made to drive forever. Low tire pressure is NOT a flat. It can and usually is maintenance. Tires lose air through the rubber which is the reason checking tires monthly, or in radical temperature changes, is highly recommended. Use the compressor in ANY situation where it will get you out of a critical environment.
Thanks Bob. Our posts crossed in the air but you answered many of my questions. At this point, since I'd prefer to get conventional tires (better ride, wear, etc.), I just need to determine what seems best for the car and get those. Then I need to keep an eye out for a used spare that will fit. I just keep that in the garage when driving is local, and toss it in the back for trips. Hopefully I can find a reasonably priced one (right now on eBAY I'm looking at $260). Anyone know what other models share the same spare tire?
Old 01-21-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 MB GLK250 BlueTec; 2016 Acura MDX Advance
Originally Posted by balticgreen
BMW gives you runflats. Acura does nothing, if my conversation with an Acura sales guy was correct.

Sales guy (SG) is showing me the new MDX and lifts the cover in the cargo area, I presume to show me a spare but instead it's a storage area.
Me: "Where's the spare?"
SG: "There isn't one but you could buy one separately if you really want one."
Me: "Does this have runflats?"
SG: "No, they're regular tires."
Me: "The car has no spare and no runflats?"
SG: "Correct. We have AcuraLink now, you just press a button and they come help you."
Me: "What if I'm in an area with no cell reception?"
SG: "Uhh..."

I didn't even ask if the AcuraLink is free. If it's like mbrace or OnStar, it's not free. I didn't care for the MDX anyway, but even if I had liked it, that conversation would have made me think again.
My '16 MDX Advance+Ent has a spare underneath the back. That salesman was an idiot as all MDXs have a normal spacesaver spare under the back with room to fit a full-sized alloy spare if you so desire.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Locating a new Vredstein Spacemaster?

[I the last few days I have been trying to locate in The USA , a tire dealer to purchase
A Vredstein SpaceMaster tire to fit a 2014 MB GLK250BT with 19 inch rims
19x7.5 Chrome Aluminum Alloy 5 triple Spoke Wheels

On the Web there are many neat You Tube Videos concerning this spare tire.
Websites show Canada ,UK, & Germany where this tire is available .
Old 06-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 BT, GLK 250 BT, C230 4Matic
You're right

Originally Posted by ble2716
From what I understand, Canadian GLK250 has regular tires with repair kit in a can and an air pump. NO spare tires.
Some one else from Canada has GLK250 can confirm this.
Canadian GLK250 don't come with spare, it omes with seal kit and an electric pump, as to the run flats I don't know since mine was bought used. Cheers