GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Canadian GLK 250 BT have inflatable spare+pump, can USA owners use the same?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Canadian GLK 250 BT have inflatable spare+pump, can USA owners use the same?

It seems Canadian GLK250 don't come with run-flats, instead inflatable spare with compressor pump. Does the compressor plug into the 'lighter' slot or all Canadian models have the electric plug in the trunk?

Can paranoid USA owners use this kit and fit under the trunk liner. USA owners should have the same trunk liner and molding under there.

Can this spare be mixed with run-flats? Incase of a blow out on a long trip?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43
Do they also have urea tanks in there trunk like the US models??
Old 07-29-2013, 02:39 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
From what I understand, Canadian GLK250 has regular tires with repair kit in a can and an air pump. NO spare tires.
Some one else from Canada has GLK250 can confirm this.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by ble2716
From what I understand, Canadian GLK250 has regular tires with repair kit in a can and an air pump. NO spare tires.
Some one else from Canada has GLK250 can confirm this.
You are somewhat correct. Canadian models have a fill kit. It is a little more than a pump and a can of foam. The sealant can inserts into the pump so you pump up the tire and seal it at the same time. No spare and the AdBlue tank is in the same location as the US model.

Last edited by Gt. Dane; 07-29-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 AM

GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by bugelrex
It seems Canadian GLK250 don't come with run-flats, instead inflatable spare with compressor pump. Does the compressor plug into the 'lighter' slot or all Canadian models have the electric plug in the trunk?

Can paranoid USA owners use this kit and fit under the trunk liner. USA owners should have the same trunk liner and molding under there.

The 250 model does not have the inflatable spare. There is no room for it under the trunk liner. That space is taken up with the AdBlue tank. USA GLK 350 models should have the inflatable spare - same as in Canada.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 PM

'02 VW Golf TDI, '13 GLK 250
mine wears Pirelli Scorpion Run Flats, has the fill kit. No room for the spare, plus I have the HK subwoofer stuffed in there as well.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 AM

GLK250 bluetech
Run on flat and no spare

I can confirm. My canadian 250 has run on flat tire with no spare. However a mobility kit is also included; a small compressor and sealant. Jack is also included. This is way better the BMW which included nothing.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM

glk
pardon my ignorance, is there any reason american GLK owners should not buy this 'mobility kit' which comes with the run-flat tires? What is the model number? I'm assuming we can buy 'any' sealant/compressor kit for the run-flats?
Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
pardon my ignorance, is there any reason american GLK owners should not buy this 'mobility kit' which comes with the run-flat tires? What is the model number? I'm assuming we can buy 'any' sealant/compressor kit for the run-flats?
If your run-flat has spontaneously lost air, it's not likely the sealant would work enough to contain any air applied through a small portable compressor. Would be a waste of money. The whole idea of the run-flats is to let you cripple in to some place you can get replacement or repair. Yeah, any sealant and compressor will work and though I have both, I don't think I'll carry them nor try to use mine. Useless in most circumstances. If your leak is slow your tire monitoring system will tell you and you can hurry to the next repair facility. If fast, you're in trouble!

What I find ridiculous is that included with the car, is a jack with the run-flats! When would you use it? To remove a tire on a highway and roll it in to the next town or repair station? Or maybe you're expected to buy a spare tire and wheel to flop around in the back so you can use it as a spare 'in case'. You do have the Mercedes roadside assistance you can call.

I've been running around on run-flats all over the West and have never been uncomfortable nor concerned. In a similar discussion I mentioned I was a 'road warrior' for many years, all over the west. Spent at least every other week on the road, sometimes two weeks at a time over many years. Have no idea of the miles I've traveled but it has to be at least a million. In all that time, and with tires in the 50's and later, I NEVER had to change a tire on the road! I have gotten nails or debris, always in the right rear tire, and developed slow leaks that I was able to catch and repair before I was forced to change the tire. It all has to do with your comfort level and that's highly personal.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by Jyhudon
This is way better the BMW which included nothing.
BMW gives you runflats. Acura does nothing, if my conversation with an Acura sales guy was correct.

Sales guy (SG) is showing me the new MDX and lifts the cover in the cargo area, I presume to show me a spare but instead it's a storage area.
Me: "Where's the spare?"
SG: "There isn't one but you could buy one separately if you really want one."
Me: "Does this have runflats?"
SG: "No, they're regular tires."
Me: "The car has no spare and no runflats?"
SG: "Correct. We have AcuraLink now, you just press a button and they come help you."
Me: "What if I'm in an area with no cell reception?"
SG: "Uhh..."

I didn't even ask if the AcuraLink is free. If it's like mbrace or OnStar, it's not free. I didn't care for the MDX anyway, but even if I had liked it, that conversation would have made me think again.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
So i guess this is part of their cost cutting strategy..yike!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 197 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by davezaristo
So i guess this is part of their cost cutting strategy..yike!
I'm sure they would prefer to promote it as "weight saving". Regardless, this is a disappointing trend. I despise runflats, and quickly replaced them on my BMW with conventional tires which ride and perform better. As a precaution, I keep one of these in my car ...

Likely to never need it, but it's cheap insurance.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
"As Seen on TV" That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:40 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by balticgreen
"As Seen on TV" That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product.
It's hard to argue with logic like that. If it instills more confidence, you could always spend twice as much and get the Continental branded kit from Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...Tire+Inflation

But seriously, the Slime kits work. It's $40 well spent if you don't have runflats or a spare.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014

We have a 2014 GLK250 on order.

I did not even ask about the tires But I will. However, part of the standard equipment is option 477 - Tire Pressure Loss Warning. But I guess runflats could have that. The tires are option R02 and all it says is All Season tires. Wheels are 19". On an earlier quotation, it said tires were Continental.

I don't see anything about a block heater. Canadian options could be 1U2/3. Snow guard in front and underbody waxing.

After being offered a 2013 demo with all the bells & whistles, we opted to get a base 2014 with only options being trailer hitch and locks on wheels. We also got extended warranty because we are retired and hope to keep this vehicle for a long time. Price was about the same.

I didn't want most of the options - just so many things to go wrong or become obsolete. Anyone remember the first cell phones MB installed
I would have liked the power tailgate and USB port for radio. Maybe in time I can add those? Definitely didn't want a sunroof (have two MBs with them now - just a problem down the road.

Last edited by 107123210; 09-09-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I thionk there is a bit of unintended confusion here - yes, GLK250BT has no spare - however the GLK250BT does NOT have OLD DESIGN "Run Flats" but has the NEW DESIGN "extended mobility" tires.

Yes - the intention of RunFlats (old) and ExtendedMobility are the same - the ability to safely pull-off-/drive at limited speed when you have puncture/loss-of-pressure- but the new design Extended Mobility do not have quite-as-harsh sidewalls of the original RunFlats - much better ride than the old-style- runflats actually.

Always prudent to have a can of good sealant - regul;ar tires, extended mobility, or whatever - in the event of a slow leak tread puncture.

If I lived some miles from the dealer - I might choose to buy a 5th extended mobility tire for long term "confidence".
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
I had runflats on the E350 I just dumped and I truly found no problem with them. I did have the stiffer 'sport' suspension and I like a firm ride, but I really wasn't aware of how hard they were unless I hit a major rut or hole in the road, and I usually don't go over those kinds of roads. The few time I did I was aware they were almost solid and had little give, but not usually objectionable in normal driving over reasonable paved roads.

When I got my GLK, the lack of a spare was a minor concern, as were the runflats. I posted to another thread here (or was it this one?) that my dealer offered to swap me for regular tires at no charge. After driving over three weeks in Europe over some very marginal roads, I still found no problem with the runflats. I passed on the dealer's offer to change them.

I agree they aren't bad. I'm quite comfortable with them. I haven't hit anything, even in Europe, that told me I would be better off with regular tires instead of the runflats, or whatever you want to call these. I'll replace with the same tires when the time comes.

Another poster here who recently picked up his car in Europed, concluded the same thing.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 AM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I thionk there is a bit of unintended confusion here - yes, GLK250BT has no spare - however the GLK250BT does NOT have OLD DESIGN "Run Flats" but has the NEW DESIGN "extended mobility" tires.

Yes - the intention of RunFlats (old) and ExtendedMobility are the same - the ability to safely pull-off-/drive at limited speed when you have puncture/loss-of-pressure- but the new design Extended Mobility do not have quite-as-harsh sidewalls of the original RunFlats - much better ride than the old-style- runflats actually.
It's not just about the ride comfort, although no matter how much improved, any tire sidewall designed to support thousands of pounds without the benefit of air pressure simply has to be more rigid. But they are also heavier than conventional tires, increasing unsprung mass and negatively affecting performance. They're typically substantially more expensive, don't last as long, are harder to find in stock for emergency replacements, and many tire dealers will not repair them. I love the concept, but in practice they require too many compromises. I just don't see runflats becoming mainstream until the airless tires finally arrive. Of course, then we have to deal with the, umm, less than ideal aesthetics ...

Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM

GLK250 2014
I was a bit concerned about there being no spare.

But, we had an 06 smart cdi that had no spare and no runflats - just a compressor kit. Never had to use it.

Yesterday, I checked out a soft tire on our E320. My wife had driven 150km on it with only about 15psi pressure. Anyway, she was going on a longer trip today, so I put some sealant into tire and re-inflated. I also checked the spare which I can't recall ever having done. Pressure was 22 psig. The tire is a completely unused Goodyear which was the OE tire.

Anyway, sent her on her way with a good spare, 2 cans of sealant and more important, her CAA card!

So our experience is that we seldom will need a spare.

More of a concern with runflats, is if one does fail and nearest service station that we limp to can't fix it.

Is it possible to install a tube in a runflat on a temporary basis? That would be easy to carry.

Maybe we should get a steel rim and spare? Extra luggage or the spare could go on rooftop box.

If we call MBUSA road service (or equivalent in Canada) when we have runflat fail, what would they do? Would they carry suitable spares? AA or CAA would only offer tow.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM

GLK250 2014
I found an answer to my last questions re Roadside Assistance:

For certain models
(i.e.: AMG) which have no spare tire, Roadside Assistance provides inflation of a flat tire after using the vehicle’s
Tirefit puncture sealant.
If that doesn't work? Probably get towed?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:09 PM

2014 GLK250
I did asked salesman

I truly like GLK250 with diesel. awesome mileage. But!

With all threads about runflats I am more than concerned. Canthis be a deal breaker?

Negatives:

- Short life span of the RF tire

- No spare tire

- Price of the RF tires.

- Limited number of tires on a market.

So I did asked salesman at my MB dealer. Please see below.

But I still in a big doubt. I wonder how I can recognize RFtire. Must be properly labeled on a tire wall. Does anybody know?

I also asked if I can downsize to 17’ rims instead of 19'. The answer was :No!

My friend in Europe bought GLK 220 CDI few months ago andshe assured me that she does have a spare!

Why not us? Even with tougher California restrictions. It isuber unwise for MB not to push urine container on a side and leave a proper space for a spare.

I would rather haveeven less space in the trunk, but peace in my mind.

Here is what Iwrote:
Good Morning,

I would like to ask you couple of questions:

1) Is there spare tire with GLK250 BlueTec?
2) Is 19" tires are run flat tires?

If all above is true, then this explains high cost of tiresand my inability to find such sizes over internet.

3) If there is no spare tire and I am far away, in Bostonfor example, then what should be my steps?

4) You were talking about extra warranty fortires/rims I can buy. Could you please give me more details?
- How much will it cost?
- What will be the period for coverage?
- What kind of coverage I will have? Road Hazard warranty? Roadside assistance?Given that I will not have a spare tire.

Thanks you very much for your time and understanding.

and here are the answers:
1. No spare tire in the car. There is a can of latex and a compressor.
2. All-season tires, not run flat, please see file I sent attached.
3. You have roadside assistance for 4 years, comes with the car
4. I will check winter tires availability for you on Monday. Typically,people buy a 17 inches winter package, easier on tires on our infamouspotholes.
5. Tires and rims insurance is NOT a road hazard thing. It covers anydamage to rims and or tires for the whole duration of the coverage, regardlessof the number of times they have to replace one or the other or both. OurF&I could give you more details on those.
6. Unless you drive often in construction sites, you should not reallyworry about those things. By the way, Ilia, run flat tires are known to be muchmore prone to flats than regular tires. The GLK tires are NOT run flats, seelist of standard equipment on file I attached.

C
Attached Files
Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 PM

glk
Looking at the wheel well, someone might be able to make a floor mold to fit a spare? at the expensive of the rear trunk floor being several inches higher.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Spare Tire Riser

I have considered making a riser/false floor to house a full-size spare, but I've reconsidered doing is as I think it would take up a significant amount of cargo volume. I still think it could be done easily and inexpensively with some plywood/OSB and riser legs. The carpet could be used a a pattern to cut out the wood form and then just screw some riser legs (enough to support your "normal" expected loads). Use some bungee cords to secure the wheel to the LATCH mounts under the riser platform. Attach some handles to aid in removal on the top side (to refill adblue, at least) and paint it black. Buy a trimmable cargo mat and resize to fit and it could look fairly nice.

Cons: Weight to remove each time to refill adblue, reduced cargo space (approx. 9.5" higher floor), necessity to remove everything to access the underfloor storage compartment

I am hoping that there will be more RF/EM tires on the market by the time I need to replace mine. Also hoping that they will have a higher treadwear rating than 200. If not, I'll put regular tires on and take my chances!

In 30 years of driving, I've had three flats that caused me to put the spare on. Two punctures with road debris and one nail.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 PM

2014 GLK250
It is all sad when we are trying to think where to store abloody spare tire.
I tend to agree - we need to test our lady Luck.
I have driven my old Highlander for 9 years. 100K miles. AndI never ever had to take out spare tire. It is clean very nice looking. And itis full size spare!
I had few nails here and there. I even manage to damage awall on one of my front tires and was losing pressure and pumping it back forweeks. Until I properly inspect the tire.
But above all I had peace in mind.
But all this so troubling.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 PM

glk
How about a collapsable spare donut + compressor, this might only take up a 4 inches of height with a custom floor? I haven't seen one in person so I'm not sure. But the cost savings of regular tires vs runflats might make this worth it when it comes time to replace.

Originally Posted by mike-nc
I have considered making a riser/false floor to house a full-size spare, but I've reconsidered doing is as I think it would take up a significant amount of cargo volume. I still think it could be done easily and inexpensively with some plywood/OSB and riser legs. The carpet could be used a a pattern to cut out the wood form and then just screw some riser legs (enough to support your "normal" expected loads). Use some bungee cords to secure the wheel to the LATCH mounts under the riser platform. Attach some handles to aid in removal on the top side (to refill adblue, at least) and paint it black. Buy a trimmable cargo mat and resize to fit and it could look fairly nice.

Cons: Weight to remove each time to refill adblue, reduced cargo space (approx. 9.5" higher floor), necessity to remove everything to access the underfloor storage compartment

I am hoping that there will be more RF/EM tires on the market by the time I need to replace mine. Also hoping that they will have a higher treadwear rating than 200. If not, I'll put regular tires on and take my chances!

In 30 years of driving, I've had three flats that caused me to put the spare on. Two punctures with road debris and one nail.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Canadian GLK 250 BT have inflatable spare+pump, can USA owners use the same?