2013 GLK liftgate noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
2013 GLK liftgate noise

Hey all,

I'm newly registered to these forums but have occasionally lurked around to gain some good info.

I have a question regarding my 2013 GLK (~8500 miles). I've loved everything about my car until about 4 months ago I started hearing a rattling noise that seemed to come from the back of the vehicle. I brought it in to the dealership and the technician figured out pretty quickly that the noise was coming from the liftgate. He claims to have adjusted something so that it would have closed tighter?

Anyway, the noise was gone for about 1 week and has been back for the past 2 months. I thought it may go away eventually, but it hasn't.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the technician may have adjusted in the liftgate area (I've looked a bit, but know very little about car mechanics). I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealership as it is not very close to my home or work. I called the dealership to see if they could explain it to me and there were not any records specifically detailing what the technician did to solve the issue.

I realize I may end up having to bite the bullet and bring the car back in, but thought I'd check here first. Thanks for reading!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM

2013 GLK
If you are absolutely certain the noise is coming from your liftgate, my reply will be of no help.

However, if you are hearing a 'thump' (as opposed to a vibrating rattle) when crossing over rolled curbs, drainage culverts, etc., check the driver's side latch that secures the REAR seats in their upright position. Apply some thick lubricant (I used clear plumbers grease) to the hook loop and lock the seat in the upright position; in my case, the 'thump' I was hearing (which sounded like it was coming from the rear hatch) disappeared and has not returned since applying the lubricant.

Or, if you determine the rear seat back latch is the problem and you don't want to use plumbers grease or similar on the latch, take the car back to MB and their dealer will apply their own version of same (for squeaks, rattles, etc). Its non-petroleum based, clear, gooey, etc. Either works fine on the metal hook loops. Just keep it off the seats/MBTex/Leather.

Another forum member deserves credit for this fix; his name escapes me.

*Edited to add: Thanks to 3.5L

Good luck!

Last edited by Landrover2001; 07-30-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
If indeed he was adjusting the liftgate, then he most probably was adjusting the center latch on the back floor of the GLK. I'm guessing that the latch can move forward/backward, and in doing so, would 'tighten'(adjust the tension) of the rear door as the locking device(inside hatch door) winds up its cycle. It's dark outside at the moment so it's only a guess that the plastic trim can be removed around the base of the latch (on floor), exposing an adjustment bolt or two.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM

GLK
Thanks for the advice!

It's definitely more a rattle as opposed to a thumping sound (Sounds like rattling/creaking plastic). But I'll keep your advice in mind in case i ever get a thumping noise

I'll check out the adjustment latch after work today and see if there are as a relatively simple fix. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK 220 CDI Sport
Hello, did you find what the cause of the rattle/ noise was? Have it in my 12 but having hard time to find...
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 PM

GLK
Short answer is no. It's a lease I have one year left and while I really enjoy driving the car, I won't be disappointed when I turn it back in.

I've brought it to the dealership 3 times. The problem is that it takes them forever because they have to have two technicians drive the car (one to drive, one to try and pin point the location of the rattle). They replaced the chrome pieces that the lift gate sits on, thinking that those were bowing upwards. This actually helped, for about 3 miles and then back to normal rattling.

Troubleshooting on my own - I've noticed that it's seasonal (odd, but seems to the be the case). During really cold or really hot days, I don't seem to here the rattle. I also noticed that the plastic molded piece on the inside of the tailgate (below the window) would replicate the rattling noise if I pushed it with my fingers at various locations. I've been meaning to get a strip of thin black foam or something to try and pad the opening between the glass and plastic, but have been too busy to test this.

Let me know if you figure anything out!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
The only rattle I get in my 2011 is when the sun shade is retracted, so I just keep it engaged at all times...