GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Need advice-purchased used GLK350-warranty runs out this month-a little worried

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Need advice-purchased used GLK350-warranty runs out this month-a little worried

I'm new to the MB world and will more than likely be posting a lot of questions on here so I greatly appreciate your help and patience as I familiarize myself with my new ride.

I bought a 2010 GLK350 with 36k on it less than a week ago. When I called to transfer my warranty over I was shocked to find out that it ends the 28th of this month. I thought I had at least another year left on the 4yr factory warranty. I didn't realize that the vehicle was purchased in 2009, my bad. So, now I'm a little worried that I may have made a huge mistake by purchasing this vehicle. I pretty much depleted most of my savings on this purchase and can't afford not to have a warranty. The guy I talked to about transferring my warranty said that I could purchase an extended warranty before my existing warranty runs out. Based on what I've read, these warranties are very expensive. I don't know what to do?

Also, any suggestions on what I should do before my warranty runs out?

Can I take it to a MB dealer and tell them my warranties going to run out soon and that I'd like my GLK checked out and to fix anything that need it?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
If you have no obvious problems, you can take it to a dealer and ask for it to be inspected. Do not be surprised if they charge you, especially if they do not find anything.

You will soon have a 40,000 mile service due and it can be expensive but important to have done. It will cost you several hundred dollars even at an independent.

Other than normal maintenance, the vehicle is a very solid build and the chances are you will have no major expenses for many thousands of miles. Like any vehicle out of warranty, there is always a chance for a problem but the GLK is not normally problematic by nature.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM

GLK 350
I'm having a similar dilemma as my CPO warranty is about up. I've had a few odd issues that I was thankful to have the warranty for. I had to have my driver's seat belt buckle replaced as it was throwing an SRS error light. Had to have my low beams replaced twice (have to remove wheel).
Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 AM

GLK
If you were worried about a warranty, why didn't you buy a KIA?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 AM

'12 E350 4Matic, '11 GLK350 4Matic
no problems here

I have had my GLK for 27 months and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Just 2 oil changes/service. Perfect so far.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 AM

99' Lexus RX300-retired, 01' BMW 330i
Originally Posted by Designer17

Can I take it to a MB dealer and tell them my warranties going to run out soon and that I'd like my GLK checked out and to fix anything that need it?

Thanks in advance
I think they would keep your car for couple of hours untouched. Come back and tell you your car has nothing wrong and you are good to go. LOL

I would
1). Test all windows, roof and see if they are opened and closed properly.
2). Look at your garage to see if there is any oil, fluid or coolant on the floor.
3). Open the hood and check if there is any leak.
4). Drive at low/high speed, turn, brake and check if you hear any strange sound.
5). Check all light, turn signal, all features of the audio sys.

If anything wrong, tell dealer to fix it. Be very picky for this is the last time you can get it fixed for free. GL
Old 09-05-2013, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Good advice to take the car in - your dealer will take care of the rest on MB's dime to catch the last of the warranty..
Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by Showa
I think they would keep your car for couple of hours untouched. Come back and tell you your car has nothing wrong and you are good to go. LOL
You do know that Mercedes-Benz (and all car companies) pays the dealers for the warranty work they perform, right? So they could leave the car untouched and earn no money while the techs take a coffee break, or they could find something to fix and send the bill to Mercedes-Benz. Still think they'd leave the car untouched?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by balticgreen
You do know that Mercedes-Benz (and all car companies) pays the dealers for the warranty work they perform, right? So they could leave the car untouched and earn no money while the techs take a coffee break, or they could find something to fix and send the bill to Mercedes-Benz. Still think they'd leave the car untouched?
If you give no clues to problems, the dealer would have to spend hours checking if certain components are indeed working as expected (not just visual inspection). If no problems are found (which statistically is probably most of the time), they are out of pocket. Better to be less vague and say " I think there is a problem with components X,Y and Z because I can hear/see A,B and C"
Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Oh, they charge for the inspection. But if they find something wrong, they make the money that matters. There's still plenty of incentive to look.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Yes, dealers are paid to do warranty repairs but they are not paid to look for possible repairs. In fact, the dealers sales and service agreement will prohibit them from "selling" warranty work.

Many dealers will offer a free inspection of the vehicle, usually in conjunction with some paid service item, normally not just for walking in the door. It is a common thing for dealers to be asked to inspect a vehicle nearing warranty expiration and not one of their favorite items. It is relatively simple to put the vehicle on a lift to inspect for leaks etc. and to lift the hood. It is far more complicated to find items needing attention without some complaint from the owner or an extended road test.

All of this takes a good deal of the techs time and the customer often does not understand paying for what to them is a simple "looking over the car". If they experience some sort of problem later after warranty expiration, the customer is always quick to point out that the dealer just inspected the car six months or so earlier and to ask why the problem wasn't found then and paid for. Usually an impossibility.