GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Help me decide which dealer options are worth the money?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250
Help me decide which dealer options are worth the money?

Hi everyone, new here. I am looking forward to my 2014 GLK250 coming at the end of September, my first really nice car and my first MB.

The dealer offers a bunch of add-ons and I'm trying to decide which of them are worth the money, if any. Please weigh in on your experiences?

• Exterior Paint Protection $500
  • Interior Protection $500 (I have a very hairy dog, this might be worth it)
  • Paint Protection Film $500 (The sticky thing they put on the front)
  • All three above $1300
  • Window tinting $300
  • Extended warranty extra 2 years $2500, extra 3 years $2800
  • Tire and rim protection 5 years $775
Currently, I'm leaning towards the Interior Protection and the Tire & Rim. One rim alone is like $1,500, so this seems like a good deal, unless I am missing something.

Please advise!

Thanks,
-av
Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
From your list, I'll choose "Tire and Rim protection".

And if you're worry about the cost of repair after the warranty runs out then get the extra 3 years.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Much depends on where you live and how you drive.

I'd not even consider the extended warranty nor the tire and rim protection. I live in the country and even on trips to the big city I can't image parking at a curb and damaging the rims. The companies that sell them make much money on the extended warranty. You can always take it out near the end of the manufacturer's warranty if you are losing sleep about it.

The others are a matter of personal choice and use. I'm considering a darker window tint only because of all the glass and because I live is a fairly hot climate and all that glass is a magnet for heat. I'll seriously consider shortly, film on the front of the car to protect the front from rock and bug chips and will probably get this. In the winter our snow and ice is covered with ground lava rock and it's impossible to drive on them without sustaining some chip damage to the paint and windshield.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 PM

2014 GLK 250
I live in Toronto, Canada, so our winters can be quite harsh, with lots of salt, snow, and ice. It's a big city and curb damage is bound to happen, although the PARKTRONIC will make it easier to park without banging into something stupid.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
None of them. They're all just extra profit for the dealership.

For the tint and clear bra, if you do want that stuff, fine but go elsewhere and get it for less. For the warranty/protection plans, as with any form of extended warranty or protection, they're gold mines for the companies that sell them. Someone will no doubt say that the $2500 warranty saved them from a $10,000 repair bill, but that is not common. Think about it. If that was common, the companies offering those plans would be losing money and they'd either go out of business or at least stop offering those plans. The fact that they are still in business and still sell these plans means they make money on them, which in turn means that far more people are buying the plans and not getting their money's worth than people who actually have more in claims than what they paid for the plan.

If you understand all of that and still decide you want an extended warranty or wheel protection just for the peace of mind, then please make sure you read and fully understand all of the terms.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Paint Protection Film $500

Mine paid for itself when a cabby side swiped my front bumper/fender. Just a scratch in the film, not in the paint. Saved myself replacing front bumper and fender. Also dings from people bumping my car are in the film, not the paint.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 PM

2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by balticgreen
If you understand all of that and still decide you want an extended warranty or wheel protection just for the peace of mind, then please make sure you read and fully understand all of the terms.
That's very true, however I'd still very much like to hear from someone who has used the Interior Protection to see if it's any good.

I would, of course, fully read any terms before I buy
Old 08-17-2013, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
In the order you asked...

Exterior Paint Protection $500 - no, it's a wipe on product and stupid
Interior Protection $500 (I have a very hairy dog, this might be worth it) - has the dealer precisely shown you what is covered, and not covered (pets) in this package ?
Paint Protection Film $500 (The sticky thing they put on the front) - a hand-cut/hand-mounted protection film is about the same price from a certified 3M VetnureShield installer - the dealer's contractor applies a computer cut kit, not as good for that price at all
All three above $1300 - no way
Window tinting $300 - how many windows ? who gives the warranty on the install ?
Extended warranty extra 2 years $2500, extra 3 years $2800 - you are already started off on the wrong foot - since extended new car warranty is two things - extra time AND extra mileage - there are over 15 combo's in that program - you need to plan how much time and how many extra miles you need..
Tire and rim protection 5 years $775 - depends on how many times you have scraped your rims (free repair) and how many times you have had a road-hazard non-repairable flat for tire replacement
Old 08-17-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Paint Protection Film $500 (The sticky thing they put on the front) - a hand-cut/hand-mounted protection film is about the same price from a certified 3M VetnureShield installer - the dealer's contractor applies a computer cut kit, not as good for that price at all
I've read this in a number of posts.

Tell me why a 'hand cut' film is better than a computer cut film?

I'm seriously considering some. My dealer offered a 'package' that included protection at the door silks and several other places for waaay too much money. But they supposedly have a machine that is computer driven which precisely cuts everything to the original factory specs. Seems that would be more accurate than mounting and cutting the sticky film with razor or other cutting device. More possibility for human error and need to 'repair' their boo-boo.

Why would hand cut be better than computer cut?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 AM

2014 GLK250
Double check the tire and rim protection. I just ordered a 2014 GLK250 and they told me curb rash is no longer covered. rims are only protected in combination with tire damage. This was the only coverage that made sense, if your wife dives it . Its obvisous that MB wasn't making money on that so they removed the coverage. what does that tell you about the others... Pretty Lame, but understandable since they are in this business to make profit.

As for the others all wasted money, your better off putting your money into the options on the car (at least these increase the value of the vehicle) and enhancing your insurance policy to remove deductible.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 AM

2014 GLK 250
OK, so from what I'm hearing, I'm going to look much closer into the Interior protection and if it's crap, then not get it.

Also gonna investigate whether or not tire & rim protects "curb rash", as Andre calls it

Andre: I am getting the car fully loaded, so...
Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM

2014 GLK250
AvWuff - one thing I forgot to mention. I'm in Canada. If your in US the terms of protection may be different.

Fully loaded, good call. So's mine
Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 AM

2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by AndreDoucette
AvWuff - one thing I forgot to mention. I'm in Canada. If your in US the terms of protection may be different.

Fully loaded, good call. So's mine
I'm also in Canada (Toronto) so I guess they're the same... so you read the terms? What DOES it cover, just damage to the tire? In 5 years, I've only had one popped tire and it was just a small repair and didn't damage the rims.

So if it doesn't cover scratches, which the lady in the room told me it does, then it's not really worth it.

As for the loaded: The only thing I didn't get were the running boards. I wish the car had some of the features it has in the European model, like the ECO Start / Stop (available on the 350, but in Germany it was on the 250 also) and the speed limit cameras (A front mounted camera automatically recognizes speed limit signs as you drive by them and displays this information on the dash display) but alas, it's not in the Canadian model.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
I was at the Porsche dealer yesterday getting a new tire (7,000 miles on car). I asked the service advisor how many are getting wheel and tire and was told "3 out of 4". I got a new tire- no plug- for the nail in the tire. Of course, ask what is covered, but I've had scuffed rims repaired. For each of my last three cars, the tire and rim has been worthwhile (and the price from the dealer is negotiable). Find out whether the insurance is accepted through the dealer network before buying it. I had a Honda and was told by an out of state dealer that I had to pay the dealer and accept the payment from the insurer (a few calls later they backed down).
Old 08-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Reply to add ons

None of the extras are worth it. Window tinting from a company that specializes ( see google) in that around $200 usually with " life time waranty". I would - after you have the car - go to a tire place that sells " a life time front end alignment" usually under $ 200 - have that done every year faithfully, get the tires rotated and drive like a normal person.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
On the question of paint protection film - for those not familair with the products Ventureshield offers the most protection, and Xpel films come in slightly 2nd - that fact is both films do not "stretch" that much - so application over the compound curved surfaces is best done with substantial working experience with the film, and hand-cutting allows more precise edge fitting - again, with experienced installers.

Pre-cut kits cut off computer are the easy-have-any-body do it - and frankly as compared to a expreinced-hand-cut job the pre-cuts look a lot more haphazard..
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
On the question of paint protection film - for those not familair with the products Ventureshield offers the most protection, and Xpel films come in slightly 2nd - that fact is both films do not "stretch" that much - so application over the compound curved surfaces is best done with substantial working experience with the film, and hand-cutting allows more precise edge fitting - again, with experienced installers.

Pre-cut kits cut off computer are the easy-have-any-body do it - and frankly as compared to a expreinced-hand-cut job the pre-cuts look a lot more haphazard..
Also, properly installed film is wrapped around the edges of body panels and bumpers and tucked behind... computer-cut kits leave an exposed edge all the way around.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
On alignment - from substantial experience I would ONLY use a MB dealer for alignment - you wouldn't believe the # of fracked up MB SUV's I have seen that have been "aligned" by non-MB shops - and those guys always say "see the printout - it's spot on spec" - and this is after the tires have been worn black inside or outside... insanity..
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by koalatm
Also, properly installed film is wrapped around the edges of body panels and bumpers and tucked behind... computer-cut kits leave an exposed edge all the way around.
I've interviewed 5 different installers, only one of which will do either hand cut or computer cut. In discussing the issue of the precise fit at the edges, he pointed out that the computer cut allows for that and that the configuration of the GLK is easy. As such, he can guarantee either method will provide the wrap and coverage around and under the panels where indicated. He believes the computer cut would be easier but he will do it either way for $600. and guarantees my satisfaction. He doesn't believe the hand cut is any better than computer cut for this model. I got the impression that he was better at it with more experience than any of the other 5 certified 3M installers with whom I spoke, and he's just a tad cheaper but will take longer to do the install. He wants 8 hours of freedom and two day's notice. I'm pretty satisfied. and convinced.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM

2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by Bob338
He believes the computer cut would be easier but he will do it either way for $600.
See, my dealer is offering it for $500... so it seems like $600 is a bit steep.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Yeah, I saw that and that's the reason I talked to several. The highest price I got was $750 so it's by far the lowest. My dealer offered it to me at $1895!!!

I live in Kalifornia which automatically raises prices about 20% over other places, even in our small towns.

The 'wrap' that all prices were based upon here included mirrors, behind the door handles, and the sills. I was advised by all that I could get credit for what I didn't want. I seldom get into tight parking so I don't need door edges nor do I need the sills protected as I don't get in and out of the car much. My concern is bugs and front spray from ground lava rock that our highway people put on snow and icy roads.

I expect there will be some reduction of that price by eliminating everything but the front, mirrors and behind the door handles. Your dealer seems to have offered a fair price based on my research in my area.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Go aftermarket on the window tint & the clear bra (3M). Consider the wheel protection only if curb rash is covered. See what the interior protection is all about. Otherwise enjoy it!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM

2014 GLK 250
OK, so, after doing some research, it looks like the Tire & Rim Protection covers the following:

"Road hazards are defined as debris on a public roadway such as nails, glass, potholes, rocks, tree limbs or any other object or condition not normally found in the roadway. Road conditions (such as uneven lanes or metal plates) found in construction zones or construction sites are not considered a covered road hazard."

Here's the complete legal terms:
http://www.avbrand.com/personal/rimtireterms.pdf

It's a long document full of legalese, but in summary, it looks like cosmetic damage IS covered, but only if the tire is ALSO damaged.

I don't know if it is worth it.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 PM

2011 GLK350 4MATIC, 2013 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by AvWuff
Hi everyone, new here. I am looking forward to my 2014 GLK250 coming at the end of September, my first really nice car and my first MB.

The dealer offers a bunch of add-ons and I'm trying to decide which of them are worth the money, if any. Please weigh in on your experiences?

• Exterior Paint Protection $500
  • Interior Protection $500 (I have a very hairy dog, this might be worth it)
  • Paint Protection Film $500 (The sticky thing they put on the front)
  • All three above $1300
  • Window tinting $300
  • Extended warranty extra 2 years $2500, extra 3 years $2800
  • Tire and rim protection 5 years $775
Currently, I'm leaning towards the Interior Protection and the Tire & Rim. One rim alone is like $1,500, so this seems like a good deal, unless I am missing something.

Please advise!

Thanks,
-av
I have the tired and rim protection PLUS..make sure it's PLUS, 'cuz the regular one does NOT cover scratches to the rim as I just found out.
My local (Sacramento) dealer had no clue that the PLUS includes scratches to the rim from the curb.
They claimed that only wheel damage that resulting air leakage that can't be fixed.

I had to go in twice to argue with them and ask them to call the Mercedes's finance people where the warranty is drafted.

I am glad that I have the PLUS warranty, and I was going to cancel them all together if the PLUS warranty doesn't cover the scratches and I have 60 days to cancel in Cali.
Dealers are so lazy and clueless about a lot of these protection services.
My dealer here didn't even want to call the Benz Finance people until I filled with anger and ask them to do so.

My dealer will keep tell me that's "operator error" while the warranty states "cosmetic coverage for anything that alters the normal condition of the wheel".

These warranty are very fishy and not clearly statement. So be warned.
I am very disappointed at Mercedes Benz's services and the quality of people they have in their shops at least in the Sacramento shops.
I think the tire and rim PLUS warranty is worthy of the cost if it is intended to be what I was told that it covers such as any cosmetic scratches, and road hazard damages to the rims and tires for 50k miles because I have 20 AMG rims. But some dealers might not understand it or try to push aside.

I think their first intention is not try to waste their time on anyone for "free" because customer brought in a claim with warranty. I bet they will fix it right away if I were to pay for the services.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 E550, 2014 GLK 350
I would consider tire and rim at that price; I was quoted much more in MA ($1,300, which we negotiated to $1,100 and bailed on it since we can refinish ris here at a shop for like $100-150).

Where is the prepaid maintenance option? We negotiated that down to ~50% of what the projected cost was of the service (we got 3/30 and since it had 10k on it it covers the 40k transmission service).

I like the comment about the warranty - for us it was miles we were interested in. We extended it for short money 1 year/100k.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which dealer options are worth the money?