GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK 350 offere, need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX
GLK 350 offere, need help

I need help in analyzing below offer. I have been offered by chicago dealer GLK350W4 2013 (White, premium Package1 Without panorama roof & Garage Door Opener, Becker Map Pilot,Roof spoiler, and Heated Front Seats) (MSRP 43000) for 35,900 + taxes? Is this a right price for this 2013 model? I am also wondering about GLK 250? Is this better than GLK350?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
definitely confirm the mileage is under 50 in writing, some dealers try to sell staff cars as new. If this was a 250, I would say its a good deal, for 350 I have no idea
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
The 250 is a diesel; 350 is a gasser. 'Better' is subjective. Depends on which you prefer. I'm a diesel fanatic so yeah, 250 is 'better'. For me.

Look at my response in the other forum on which you posted.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
That 2013 GLK350 is pre-owned - correct ? Is it Mercedes certified with 100K warranty /
Old 08-22-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rental car
Originally Posted by parivarbhai
I need help in analyzing below offer. I have been offered by chicago dealer GLK350W4 2013 (White, premium Package1 Without panorama roof & Garage Door Opener, Becker Map Pilot,Roof spoiler, and Heated Front Seats) (MSRP 43000) for 35,900 + taxes? Is this a right price for this 2013 model? I am also wondering about GLK 250? Is this better than GLK350?
"Roof spoiler" is suspicious. If it's a brand new car its a decent price if it's used I wouldn't think so. The price new is around $40k - $41k MSRP, though possibly lower now that the 2014 models are arriving at showrooms.

Personally I think the 250 is better, 33mpg on the highway even if diesel is 50 cents more per gallon that gas it still pays for itself with the increase in fuel economy.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
There are a couple of things you need to look at. For that MSRP, it probably has the pre-wiring for the Becker Nav but you would need to purchase the plug-in module. You need to ask if the module is included.

Diesel lovers tend to be fanatical in their support but the gas engine does have its benefits. The diesel will have run-flats that will compromise the ride and will tend to become noisy as they age. Fuel fills with diesel can be messy and smelly especially if you don't wear gloves and get fuel on your hands. The gas version will perform better and overall driving experience is better.

You need to do the math by looking at the miles you drive yearly and the cost of diesel in your area versus premium gas. Many people will find the savings involved are not enough to offset the driving experience and performance of the gas engine.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by JALLEN4

Diesel lovers tend to be fanatical in their support but the gas engine does have its benefits. The diesel will have run-flats that will compromise the ride and will tend to become noisy as they age. Fuel fills with diesel can be messy and smelly especially if you don't wear gloves and get fuel on your hands. The gas version will perform better and overall driving experience is better.

You need to do the math by looking at the miles you drive yearly and the cost of diesel in your area versus premium gas. Many people will find the savings involved are not enough to offset the driving experience and performance of the gas engine.
Purely subjective opinion. And inaccurate.

Validity for the run flats as standard equipment in diesels but comfort and performance is again subjective. It is a bit rougher on rough roads or chuck holes.

Fuel is dispensed in same manner for both. Gasoline is just as pungent as diesel if spilled. NEVER a problem, just an opinion here.

Drive both if diesels are to be considered. Torque of diesel is amazing and, if anything, may be better than the gassers. 'Noisy' may apply to the old un-aspirated diesels, certainly not the later models.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Rental car
There are a couple of things you need to look at. For that MSRP, it probably has the pre-wiring for the Becker Nav but you would need to purchase the plug-in module. You need to ask if the module is included.

GLK 350 @ 26 mpg with fuel at $4.00/gallon costs 15.3 cents a mile
GLK 250 @ 33 mpg with fuel at $4.50/gallon costs 13.6 cents a mile

If diesel somehow cost $1 more per gallon than gasoline $5.00/gallon it would cost 15.1 cents a mile still less than the GLK 350. Also the best MPG I've gotten in the GLK350 was 21 mpg.

Gasoline doesn't smell good either.

I called Mercedes-Benz of Tysons Corner and was told that the 2014 GLK 250 doesn't come with run flats and it has a spare. The adblue no longer takes up space where the spare tire is store.

The performance from either engine is hardly at sports car performance levels it is after all a 2 ton SUV.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Acura MDX
Thanks for the responses. I checked with dealer and he said that it is considered new but a demo vehicle and it has around 7000 miles. So, it is used and I think asking 35,900 is too much. Can someone suggest a price to start negotiation for this used car?

I also checked for GLK 250 and he said that MB has not selling GLK250 (orvery few) in Illinois due to less availability of 5% or less biodiesel fuel. Ialso checked with few gas stations around area and found only one station (15miles far) which is selling 5% or less biodiesel fuel.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Rental car
I also checked for GLK 250 and he said that MB has not selling GLK250 (orvery few) in Illinois due to less availability of 5% or less biodiesel fuel. Ialso checked with few gas stations around area and found only one station (15miles far) which is selling 5% or less biodiesel fuel.
What about regular petrodiesel? I never thought there would be a problem since I assumed most trucks used to haul stuff around the US would use regular diesel fuel.

Just found this on the interwebs

"Diesel fuel with a higher concentration than ULSD-Diesel No. 2 ASTM D975 and Bio-diesel with a higher concentration than 5% like B11, B20 or B100 are strictly prohibited."

For owners who wish to comply with this specification, residents of Illinois are at an extreme hardship. Under SB 46, signed into law in 2003, biodiesel blends above 10% receive an exemption from state sales tax. For this reason, the vast majority of diesel pumps exceed VW's biodiesel requirement."

Would have been nice if the government would have done some research before.

Sounds like the GLK just isn't going to work unless you have a petrol diesel station close to work.

Last edited by Ex-Military; 08-22-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 AM

2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by Ex-Military

I called Mercedes-Benz of Tysons Corner and was told that the 2014 GLK 250 doesn't come with run flats and it has a spare. The adblue no longer takes up space where the spare tire is store.
I picked up my 2014 GLK 250 on Tuesday. It does have Run Flats, and has NO spare. just a FYI
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Rental car
Originally Posted by emtskibum
I picked up my 2014 GLK 250 on Tuesday. It does have Run Flats, and has NO spare. just a FYI
Why would a dealership lie to me...so sad. Is there room for a spare? If there is at least room for a spare I will just buy 5 new tires and one wheel.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Acura MDX
I found below in MB document.

Mercedes-Benz approves the use of B5 according to ASTM D975 (standard Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) with a maximum of up to 5 % biodiesel) in all Common Rail Injection (CDI) and BlueTEC diesel engines

The only approved processed biodiesel for B5 blending is one that meets ASTM D975
specification to prevent damage to the engine system from deposits and / or corrosion.
Diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (e.g. B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as straight biodiesel (B100 / 100%) ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine/fuel system and are not approved.

The Mercedes-Benz Limited Warranty does not cover damages caused by the use of fuels that do not meet Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards.
Mercedes-Benz vehicles must only use qualified commercial brand fuel that meet
Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 AM

GLK 350 @ 26 mpg with fuel at $4.00/gallon costs 15.3 cents a mile
GLK 250 @ 33 mpg with fuel at $4.50/gallon costs 13.6 cents a mile

If diesel somehow cost $1 more per gallon than gasoline $5.00/gallon it would cost 15.1 cents a mile still less than the GLK 350. Also the best MPG I've gotten in the GLK350 was 21 mpg.

Gasoline doesn't smell good either.

The performance from either engine is hardly at sports car performance levels it is after all a 2 ton SUV.
If in fact the 2014 does not come with run-flats, that would be a large step forward. I have owned several cars that came with run-flats and ultimately changed them all out for conventional tires because of the inherent problems. Forums are filled with people who have had the same experience.

The combined rating for the diesel is 28 and the gas is rated at 21. Assuming fuel price to be the same for each at $4 gallon, you would save $476 a year, driving the diesel, per 10,000 miles. From that number you would need to subtract the higher cost of maintenance on the diesel and the cost of ad-blue required.

While I would agree that neither vehicle is a sports car, there is a significant difference in 0-60 times between the two. Most road tests will put the difference around 30% and Edmunds.com states the difference is a full two seconds between the two. That would certainly be noticeable.

I like diesels, have owned diesels, and will likely own another at some point. That does not change the fact that any comparison has two sides. A diesel is not the end-all of vehicles and there are sacrifices to be made between the two.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM

2014 GLK 250
Why would a dealership lie to me...so sad. Is there room for a spare? If there is at least room for a spare I will just buy 5 new tires and one wheel.
Not Really, unless you have the spare sit in the cargo area, you will not be able to fit it under the cargo deck.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bob338
Purely subjective opinion. And inaccurate.

Validity for the run flats as standard equipment in diesels but comfort and performance is again subjective. It is a bit rougher on rough roads or chuck holes.

Fuel is dispensed in same manner for both. Gasoline is just as pungent as diesel if spilled. NEVER a problem, just an opinion here.

Drive both if diesels are to be considered. Torque of diesel is amazing and, if anything, may be better than the gassers. 'Noisy' may apply to the old un-aspirated diesels, certainly not the later models.
I agree that both gasoline and diesel fuels have a "pungent odor". The difference is that gas will evaporate in the atmosphere very rapidly and diesel will not. Anyone who has owned one has experienced diesel puddles around the pump and diesel residue on the pump levers. A good suggestion is to buy and use disposable rubber gloves when fueling and to watch carefully where you step.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Purchase tires and wheel IS your only option. No room for the spare, especially if you opt for the upgraded sound system (as I did.) The amplifier goes in the balance of the spare tire well leaving only a small amount of room for small storage items.

In the purchase of mine, my dealer offered to change out the tires for me to regulars if I didn't care for the run flats. I strongly considered that but in driving the car over some of those bad roads in Europe, where I picked up mine, there was only a time or two I really felt anything different. The lack of 'give' is obvious when you hit a chuck hole too hard, or a speed bump. Other than that, even on normal rough roads over there the difference was not very noticeable. Because of that, and the need to tie down a spare for safety reasons, I opted to stay with the run flats. I've had them on my E350 and for me, in my area, I perceive very little difference. There certainly IS a difference but, again, that's subjective and not worth the concern nor effort. I'm sure a bit of increased fuel mileage would result as would some increased comfort, but is it enough to agonize over it? Not for me.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM

I agree that both gasoline and diesel fuels have a "pungent odor". The difference is that gas will evaporate in the atmosphere very rapidly and diesel will not. Anyone who has owned one has experienced diesel puddles around the pump and diesel residue on the pump levers. A good suggestion is to buy and use disposable rubber gloves when fueling and to watch carefully where you step.
I'd bet the you, sir, have never owned a diesel! Nor have you spilled diesel!

Both evaporate with the same rapidity. The major complaint now of knowledgeable diesel owners is the lack of lubricity in modern diesel. In fact, many add two stroke oil to older cars to recoup some of that lubricity. I do in my old '85 190, and it has resulted in increased power and mileage, by about 3 miles per gallon.

There is NO difference in the dispensing equipment for either diesel or gasoline and if you spill either, the problem is YOU! I've spilled both due to my own carelessness and the problems about which you complain, are the same for both types of fuel. The only difference is evaporation is mostly imperceptible, but diesel fuel is much better to start burning of wood piles because of the difference in flash point of diesel vs gasoline. I keep both in small containers, one to burn slash and the other for fueling equipment. No difference when you spill, or even get on your person. Both smell and both smells are difficult to eradicate.

As for price of diesel, I'm in a rural area, actually the mountains, and there is much diesel equipment that uses it. It's even available for non taxable off road use. Has a red dye which is a dead giveaway if you try to use it on road vehicles and the police check, which they do. The difference in fuel cost per gallon is pennies, usually no more than about 15¢. It is far more economical because of the higher fuel mileage you get.

Another point of savings over the long haul is the lack of the extra equipment needed for gasoline engines. You don't have to be concerned about an ignition system and changing spark plugs periodically. The pumping systems for gasoline are basically the same so that extra and necessary equipment removes another possible replacement or repair cost in the long pull.

I've been a M-B diesel owner since '77 and I've run them side by side with gassers. I speak with experience and knowledge. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 AM

Acura MDX
I inclining toward GLK350 due to IL issue. What do you all think about 7000 miles loaner GLK350W4 2013 (White, premium Package1 Without panorama roof & Garage Door Opener, Becker Map Pilot,Roof spoiler, and Heated Front Seats) (MSRP 43000) for 35,900 + taxes + extended warranty?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by parivarbhai
I inclining toward GLK350 due to IL issue. What do you all think about 7000 miles loaner GLK350W4 2013 (White, premium Package1 Without panorama roof & Garage Door Opener, Becker Map Pilot,Roof spoiler, and Heated Front Seats) (MSRP 43000) for 35,900 + taxes + extended warranty?
Back to your original subject, and apologies on my part for the detour!

I think that's a pretty good deal!. Can you get them to extend the warranty for a time period and extra miles to make up for the mileage? You should be able to get that from them. I know my dealer just did it for a car I just turned in as I knew the buyers.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM

GLK250 BT
I do use the disposable rubber gloves for pumping diesel. For some reason the fuel seems to get on the pump handle more so than gasoline. Another option is to grab a piece of paper towel from the station dispenser to hold the handle.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:51 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
I'm sorry but I'm going to continue the detour because now I'm really curious about this:

Originally Posted by Bob338
As for price of diesel, I'm in a rural area, actually the mountains, and there is much diesel equipment that uses it. It's even available for non taxable off road use. Has a red dye which is a dead giveaway if you try to use it on road vehicles and the police check, which they do.
How do the police check?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:38 PM

I don't know for certain as I've never been stopped, but I was told our CHP has a kit that includes a latex rubber tube to put down the filler in order to take a sample which is put in a small bottle for inspection and evidence. They then turn over to our Franchise Tax Board for collection and payment of taxes. I don't know about a road fine but I'm sure it's there in this glorious state!

The pumps exist is in fuel distribution yards and I'd suspect they rely to some degree on snitches or even on the employees of those yards. I've never seen one at a regular truck station but then I don't refuel in them unless travelling. I know they watch me like a hawk when I get fuel for my Kubota tractor and when I fill the one or two gallon cans for fire starter, and also with kerosene, which is also colored red. I use that to wash parts and motors. They use the coloring to enforce environmental laws.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
You're probably right about snitches or some other form of being tipped off. I can't imagine that it's a good use of time or taxpayer money to set up DUI-like checkpoints. Although it would be funny/sad to see.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM

I would guess what they are really after are the guys that have their own tanks at home or farm for their off road vehicles and who might use the non tax fuel in highway vehicles. For all I know the colorant might leave residue on exhaust pipes. An isolated road vehicle wouldn't be worth the bother even for the fine. For the many such type users who use hundreds of gallons of fuel, it could be worth it and we are in heavy farm and orchard area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK 350 offere, need help