Notices
GLK-Class (X204) Discuss the upcoming GLK-Class. Models include GLK 350.

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by jcdammeyer View Post
And the check engine light is off!
You never had the AdBlue warning, though, right? That would be some coincidence if all the members here with the AdBlue problem somehow all had rodents chewing through wires. Attack of the Rodents or something. Rodents who only are attracted to 2014 GLK250s. Lol
balticgreen is offline  
Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 PM
  #52  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 640
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by jcdammeyer View Post
So today was Service day at my MB dealer.
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

If sensor was under hood, would it have had anything to do with the Adblue system?

It would be useful if GLK250 owners included the model year since the AdBlue problem appears to be just with 2014 model.

Last edited by 107123210; 10-21-2013 at 07:48 PM.
107123210 is offline  
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM
  #53  
Member
 
mike-nc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hickory, NC USA
Posts: 145
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250BT
CEL

Glad to hear that your problem was resolved. Can you tell us which specific sensor wire was chewed?

Also, it's good to hear about a positive dealer experience. You are correct, for every "bad" thing said about a dealer, there are several "good" experiences that don't get mentioned. These forums lend themselves to complaining.
mike-nc is offline  
Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 AM
  #54  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250
In no way did I mean to hijack the subject. One of the other's postings was that the CEL went on first and shortly after that the ADBLUE message. I figured I was next in line. Luckily, just critters in my case.
Do let us know when the problem is solved.
jcdammeyer is offline  
Old 10-22-2013, 12:06 PM
  #55  
Newbie
 
lolagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 - 2014
UPDATE -

I received the new car experience survey after purchasing the 2014 GLK250. I documented the problems with check engine light and Ad Blue, remaining starts on the survey (sent to me by e-mail) and finally got a follow-up call from MB survey team. The survey team had a MB case worker call me to discuss the problem.

The case worker called up my information so she could understand the situation. She said she had never heard of the problem and that other case workers that she is working with were also not familiar with the problem. Apparently, the issue has not be elevated to a status where case workers are informed about issues like ours!

She reitterated that a fix could not be expected before the end of the month (earliest!). She also said that if any of you are experiencing the same problem that I have, you should contact the case work number at 1-800-367-6372 (her extension is 6328) - but other case workers can also take your calls.

The issues with the new cars need to be documented at the case worker level so the issues get addressed and they can look/identify the significance of the issue. I urge all of you to call. Unfortunately - the squeaky wheel gets the grease". I hate having to take so much time in order to get problems addressed. . I will be happy to say good things (hopefully) later...but not being able to drive your own new car for 4 weeks...but having to pay for it ....is not my idea of a great service and car experience.
lolagirl is offline  
Old 10-22-2013, 12:14 PM
  #56  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250
Originally Posted by mike-nc View Post
Glad to hear that your problem was resolved. Can you tell us which specific sensor wire was chewed?

Also, it's good to hear about a positive dealer experience. You are correct, for every "bad" thing said about a dealer, there are several "good" experiences that don't get mentioned. These forums lend themselves to complaining.
Here's a photo of the repaired sensor wire.
jcdammeyer is offline  
Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM
  #57  
Member
 
bugelrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 199
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk
4 weeks is crazy, driving someone else's car is not the same as driving your own. I would suggest you find a handful of other ppl with the same problem and demand for either free extended warranty or a upgrade in loaner car for 4 weeks.

Originally Posted by lolagirl View Post
UPDATE -

I received the new car experience survey after purchasing the 2014 GLK250. I documented the problems with check engine light and Ad Blue, remaining starts on the survey (sent to me by e-mail) and finally got a follow-up call from MB survey team. The survey team had a MB case worker call me to discuss the problem.

The case worker called up my information so she could understand the situation. She said she had never heard of the problem and that other case workers that she is working with were also not familiar with the problem. Apparently, the issue has not be elevated to a status where case workers are informed about issues like ours!

She reitterated that a fix could not be expected before the end of the month (earliest!). She also said that if any of you are experiencing the same problem that I have, you should contact the case work number at 1-800-367-6372 (her extension is 6328) - but other case workers can also take your calls.

The issues with the new cars need to be documented at the case worker level so the issues get addressed and they can look/identify the significance of the issue. I urge all of you to call. Unfortunately - the squeaky wheel gets the grease". I hate having to take so much time in order to get problems addressed. . I will be happy to say good things (hopefully) later...but not being able to drive your own new car for 4 weeks...but having to pay for it ....is not my idea of a great service and car experience.
bugelrex is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM
  #58  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glk250 BlueTec
Ad blue warning, have about 2500 km on it now, started with dealer filled tank from a large brand station, next fill up was from an unbranded station and on came the warning, two more fill ups from big oil co and no more problem. It appears the exhaust sensors are more sensitive regarding sulphur content on the 2014 model, hence diesel out of spec will cause the alarm. Just a thought.
arminquickert is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 PM
  #59  
Newbie
 
fdny136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk 250
check engine light again then adblue 1 week to the day the dealer cleared it. called the dealer and offered a loaner, but with no fix im not willing to leave my car sit there.also used the phone number in the previous post and left a message.
fdny136 is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:14 PM
  #60  
Newbie
 
lolagirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 - 2014
I am confused about the post from "arminquickert". In my research regarding diesel I reviewed the Minnesota and EPA laws regarding clean diesel. I believe that the use of clean diesel is mandated by Federal and State laws. It is hard to believe that the diesel itself is causing the issue - since all stations in Minnesota should only provide the mandated bio-diesel.

I hope that MB is well aware of the the changing nature of the law and that they must design their engines, pollution control devices, etc. to run effectively using greater concentrations "cleaner" diesel in the coming years. I believe that all fuel stations in Minnesota have been mandated to meet the requirements.

Here is a clip:
Minnesota’s biodiesel mandate (MS§239.77) currently requires the blending of 5 percent biodiesel, or B5, into the state’s diesel supply. By law, the percent of diesel fuel will increase to 10 percent from April through October each year beginning May 1, 2012 and to 20 percent during the same months beginning May 1, 2015. The Task Force continues to advise the commissioner on the implementation of the state’s biodiesel statutes

“Clean Diesel” refers to technology and actions that can be taken to re
duce emissions from diesel engines, including:

Use of cleaner fuels:
  • EPA standards require 2007 and newer engines to use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD).
I am confused...if consumers and GLK250 owners (2014) are pumping fuel - all stations should only be offerring "approved" clean-diesel.

Am I missing something or have I misinterpreted the law? If so, let me know!
lolagirl is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM
  #61  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 534
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
As I've posted elsewhere, I'm pretty confident the problem is in a batch of sensors installed during a production run with them. Speculation on my part but I'm pretty confident that even if there is a software fix that the real issue is mechanical. I would seriously doubt it has to do anything with the fuel.
Bob338 is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 05:01 PM
  #62  
Junior Member
 
mflores342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C350 4M Sedan , 2014 GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by lolagirl View Post

Use of cleaner fuels:
  • EPA standards require 2007 and newer engines to use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD).
I am confused...if consumers and GLK250 owners (2014) are pumping fuel - all stations should only be offerring "approved" clean-diesel.

Am I missing something or have I misinterpreted the law? If so, let me know!

Yes it should be. But some things are beyond your control like the condition of the storage tanks of a particular station. When I had the TDI, it was a rule of thumb to fuel at high turnover ratio stations, meaning that the diesel are always fresh. Diesel fuel deteriorate over time. Do not fill up in a station that just had a delivery as more than likely, the sediments build up in the tank got disturbed and filling in would mean you get contaminants in your tank. Additives such as Stanadyne, cetene booster are also used. Anti bacterial additive is also used. In these sense, not all stations are equal.

Of course you also get shady station that add unregulated fuel into their fuel supply to boost profit.
mflores342 is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 PM
  #63  
Member
 
mike-nc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hickory, NC USA
Posts: 145
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250BT
Fuel

Originally Posted by lolagirl View Post
I am confused about the post from "arminquickert". In my research regarding diesel I reviewed the Minnesota and EPA laws regarding clean diesel. I believe that the use of clean diesel is mandated by Federal and State laws. It is hard to believe that the diesel itself is causing the issue - since all stations in Minnesota should only provide the mandated bio-diesel.

I hope that MB is well aware of the the changing nature of the law and that they must design their engines, pollution control devices, etc. to run effectively using greater concentrations "cleaner" diesel in the coming years. I believe that all fuel stations in Minnesota have been mandated to meet the requirements.

Here is a clip:
Minnesota’s biodiesel mandate (MS§239.77) currently requires the blending of 5 percent biodiesel, or B5, into the state’s diesel supply. By law, the percent of diesel fuel will increase to 10 percent from April through October each year beginning May 1, 2012 and to 20 percent during the same months beginning May 1, 2015. The Task Force continues to advise the commissioner on the implementation of the state’s biodiesel statutes

“Clean Diesel” refers to technology and actions that can be taken to re
duce emissions from diesel engines, including:


Use of cleaner fuels:
  • EPA standards require 2007 and newer engines to use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD).
I am confused...if consumers and GLK250 owners (2014) are pumping fuel - all stations should only be offerring "approved" clean-diesel.

Am I missing something or have I misinterpreted the law? If so, let me know!
I don't think MB recommends using B10 or B20. I think they only allow the use of B5. I also think that Illinois mandates B20, so the GLK250BT is not sold there in any quantities. Why would you buy one, if you couldn't get the proper fuel for it. (Illinois residents,please chime in.)

You are correct, ULSD should be noted on any pump that you use to fill your GLK250BT. Don't make the mistake and fill with LSD vs ULSD (if available in your area). You will kill the particulate filter.

When I think of "clean diesel", I think of the emission controls on the newer vehicles, not the fuel itself. The same fuel that has no soot or smell in a GLK250BT will "roll coal" when burning in those older Chevy/Ford/Dodge pickups that are always perpetuating the "bad diesel stigma" with the uninformed public.
mike-nc is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 PM
  #64  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 640
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Bob338 View Post
As I've posted elsewhere, I'm pretty confident the problem is in a batch of sensors installed during a production run with them. Speculation on my part but I'm pretty confident that even if there is a software fix that the real issue is mechanical. I would seriously doubt it has to do anything with the fuel.
I don't think it has anything to do with fuel either. But as other have posted, it could be due to tighter parameters being programmed into software. I just hope they get it fixed soon!

Please keep the updates coming!
107123210 is offline  
Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 PM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by 107123210 View Post
I just hope they get it fixed soon!
Seriously. My GLK250 was built today. I really hope it doesn't have the problem. I guess I'll find out next month.
balticgreen is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 07:18 PM
  #66  
Newbie
 
fdny136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk 250
i believe mine was built sept 5
fdny136 is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 PM
  #67  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 640
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by balticgreen View Post
Seriously. My GLK250 was built today. I really hope it doesn't have the problem. I guess I'll find out next month.
Might be an idea to ask dealer for a letter from MB cofirming that the Adblue error has been resolved on your car. All they really need to do, is revert to the 2013 software.
107123210 is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 11:12 PM
  #68  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,869
Likes: 0
Received 550 Likes on 433 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
A GLK250 built today in Germany by and large will not be at your US dealer for delivery until early December - 1 week/10 days at German port waiting for loading - 2 weeks transit - another 2 weeks to clear port and be transported to your dealer - on average.

I am following this thread with interest - have not personally seen or heard of this AdBlue sensor issue with any GLK250BT's sold in Southern Region - my techs have not seen any TSB's or alerts either.

I do believe posters here have encountered a real issue - the AdBlue system is "calibrated" with software at the factory - that AdBlue system calibration to my knowledge is not yet possible with Star system here - I "think" this is not a question of the GLK software but a "hole" so to speak in the current NetStar capability on-site/cloud from MBUSA - again, what I "think".


Of course this is "not good" - and a technical/service issue that frankly should be more clearly and directly addressed.

On fuel - let me be straight - increased biodiesel content is "not" cleaner - frankly it's "dirtier" - and this fuel issue is based on certain states giving preferential regulation and lower fuel tax treatment to higher biodiesel content in their states "thinking" biodiesel is "better" or "cleaner".

Europe has consistently had stricter and more measurable evaluation of disel fuels - with less of the stigma associated with diesel here in the US.

In Euro B5 is the ONLY diesel period - and all Euro manuf invest millions developing more efficient engine systems for that B5 fuel.

B10 seasonally is not the issue in a state like MN - what IS a big issue is the implementation in certain states like IL of "optional" B20 pump diesel - which for lower tech commercial and less efficient diesel engines is lower cost due to preferential fuel tax treatment.

Yes - my opinion some states are overstepping their abilities with down right dump state diesel fuel reg's - ask Californian's who pay a severe premium for diesel (as compared to other states) although their diesel have both lower carbon and lower pollution footprints that their gas/petrol counterparts.

Keep the beat !
fabbrisd1 is online now  
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 PM
  #69  
Junior Member
 
xcowdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK Blutec
2014 GLK 250 Blutec only a month old and 650 miles. Check engine light came on tonight. Will Adblue message be next?
xcowdoc is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 AM
  #70  
Newbie
 
fdny136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk 250
Dealer told me just drive the car its a software issue ? Well now its saturday night just had dinner and went to go home zero starts and car will not start !! Im more then annoyed I rxpected more from mb! I will be at the dealer first thing in morning
fdny136 is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 AM
  #71  
Junior Member
 
xcowdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK Blutec
Has anyone had the adblue-cel problem resolved yet?
xcowdoc is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM
  #72  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 640
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by fdny136 View Post
Dealer told me just drive the car its a software issue ? Well now its saturday night just had dinner and went to go home zero starts and car will not start !! Im more then annoyed I rxpected more from mb! I will be at the dealer first thing in morning
So did you have to leave car and get a ride home? Or get a tow? Did number of starts count down from a higher number?

Let us know if dealer is able to solve problem. Our local dealer says they were able to reprogram one 2014 GLK to 2013 specs.
107123210 is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
A GLK250 built today in Germany by and large will not be at your US dealer for delivery until early December - 1 week/10 days at German port waiting for loading - 2 weeks transit - another 2 weeks to clear port and be transported to your dealer - on average.
This is not my first rodeo. Unless there is a major delay, I'll have the car before Thanksgiving. In Maryland, our times are shortened simply because transportation from the Baltimore port to the dealer is within an hour's drive. The Baltimore port also seems to be a bit more efficient than the other ports, at least from what I hear on here about other people's experiences.

I'm just happy to have a German build again. My last one was a South Africa build. Holy moly, what a mess.
balticgreen is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
  #74  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250
Quote from Lolagirl:
"The case worker called up my information so she could understand the situation. She said she had never heard of the problem and that other case workers that she is working with were also not familiar with the problem."

This is interesting - I talked to someone at the New Jersey MB office almost 6 weeks ago about the problem and they opened a case file. Two days later the MB rep showed up at my dealership to look at our car.

Our car has been at the dealership now going on 6 weeks and we are still driving the GLK350 the gave us to use. Zip from the dealership for about a week!
conbar1943 is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 PM
  #75  
Junior Member
 
ak_ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: FIN
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S213
Here has been interesting discussion about diesel quality. Is there anybody from California or LA area, who has had these Adblue problems? I should be handed over new 2014 GLK250 this week.

Is it only B5 what you can find over here? I live in LA area.

This is interesting topic on the other side also, because I come from Europe and I am planning to take this car with me back to Europe. Should I encounter these same problems there, if quality is different.
ak_ku is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: