Notices
GLK-Class (X204) Discuss the upcoming GLK-Class. Models include GLK 350.

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

 
Old 10-28-2013, 07:21 PM
  #76  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 375
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by ak_ku View Post
Here has been interesting discussion about diesel quality. Is there anybody from California or LA area, who has had these Adblue problems? I should be handed over new 2014 GLK250 this week.

Is it only B5 what you can find over here? I live in LA area.

This is interesting topic on the other side also, because I come from Europe and I am planning to take this car with me back to Europe. Should I encounter these same problems there, if quality is different.
Tell us how are you going to import US specs car back in Europe?
Alex Bel is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM
  #77  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,869
Likes: 0
Received 550 Likes on 433 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Export to EU is very easy - no real hurdles - however usability issue is the COMAND system which for Euro is different frequency and different GPS base.
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 PM
  #78  
Junior Member
 
ak_ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: FIN
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Alex Bel View Post
Tell us how are you going to import US specs car back in Europe?
I do not understand your question? Just put it in the container and ship it. After all, I live here and pay all taxes, registration, insurance etc. Sorry for off topic.
ak_ku is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM
  #79  
Junior Member
 
ak_ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: FIN
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
Export to EU is very easy - no real hurdles - however usability issue is the COMAND system which for Euro is different frequency and different GPS base.
I did not order GPS so no hassle with it. Radio can be updated/programmed in Europe.
ak_ku is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM
  #80  
Newbie
 
fdny136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk 250
car towed to the dealer today 0 starts remaining.gave me a loaner
fdny136 is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM
  #81  
Junior Member
 
xcowdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK Blutec
While on the way to the dealer yesterday to address cel, Adblue message came on showing 10 more starts with less than 700 miles on car! Given a loaner. Dealer said a flash update should arrive today.
xcowdoc is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM
  #82  
Newbie
 
TTRSh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTRS GLK250BT S1000RR FJR1300
Update: Been almost a whole week since I picked up my GLK (for the 4th time to the dealer) and still no CEL or Starts Remaining count down...Woo Hoo! This is the longest I've had my GLK without any warnings...Maybe I should have waited until 6:00 PM EDT before posting.

During the last visit, MB had the dealer replace the downstream NOx sensor (post converter), perform the reset procedure (again), and did a NOx sensor adaptive reset (for calibrating the replacement part I assume). Dealer also road tested my GLK multiple times including an overnight cold start and rechecked for faults - none!

Hoping this fixes the issue with my GLK for the long run. There is a note that MB is still working on a software fix. Keeping my fingers crossed!

My 2c on this issue is that there was likely a part change for 2014; probably the NOx sensor (the replacement part the dealer put in lists at US$706.25). The AdBlue control module could not be properly calibrated for the new for 2014 sensor (slightly different or shifted operating parameters), hence, the AdBlue low consumption fault code/start remaining count down. It didn't matter how many times the system was reset, the fault code would always come back. How far out the sensor's operating parameters were probably related to how long one could drive before the CEL/remaining starts count down. I am pretty sure the sensor readings are averaged over time/distance traveled. Once the accumulated reading is seen as out of spec...fault code.

For those questioning the quality of the fuel, it probably is a contributing factor, but is likely not a major one but just enough to tip it over the edge.

One last note...my dealer has been great! Always quick to respond and kept me up to date with what was going on.

Last edited by TTRSh; 10-29-2013 at 12:38 PM.
TTRSh is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 PM
  #83  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 375
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by ak_ku View Post
I do not understand your question? Just put it in the container and ship it. After all, I live here and pay all taxes, registration, insurance etc. Sorry for off topic.
I think US rules are different than in Europe. The car is made in Germany with US specs. You bought it here with US dealer using US price. When you ship the car to Europe with intent to import it - I think you will have to pay German 19% VAT tax. Will custom accept US specs car to use in Europe?
Alex Bel is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 PM
  #84  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250
TTRSH, I hope that you have good luck with the fix. The NOx sensor was the fist thing the replaced on our car, fix lasted less the 200 miles. Second trip back to the dealer they replaced a temperature sensor, third trip back they just keep the car.
conbar1943 is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 01:23 PM
  #85  
Junior Member
 
ak_ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: FIN
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Alex Bel View Post
I think US rules are different than in Europe. The car is made in Germany with US specs. You bought it here with US dealer using US price. When you ship the car to Europe with intent to import it - I think you will have to pay German 19% VAT tax. Will custom accept US specs car to use in Europe?
Yes, they are different but not so much. Yes, I can drive with the car in Europe. I do not have to pay VAT, when I keep the car in US (register it, insure it, drive with it) for long enough before I ship it.

I can not sell the car in Europe for certain period of time (years). I need to get CoC (Certificate of Conformity) paper from Europe to comply with European regulations, mainly for emissions (CO2/km). This is easy to get, as this is built in Europe.

So there is a bit work to be done, but when you know it, it is pretty straight forward.
ak_ku is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 02:27 PM
  #86  
Newbie
 
TTRSh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTRS GLK250BT S1000RR FJR1300
conbar, sorry to hear yours is still at the dealer. Do you have the part number of the replacement NOx sensor? On my GLK they put in 000-905-34-03. I've driven over 400km (250 miles) so far...hope it keeps going.

I will keep this thread updated if anything new pops up.
TTRSh is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #87  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250
TTRSH, the installed two 000-905-34-03 NOx sensors. I just received a call from the dealership to let me know that they just received the updated software and will be down loading it in our car today.
conbar1943 is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM
  #88  
Newbie
 
onmywayreic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by wshang View Post
I bought a new 2014 GLK 250 bluetec last week and encountered the following problem before filling up first tank of diesel:
AdBlue warning light came on with Starts Remaining: 4. I brought it in to the dealer and they said there was some computer problem which has been fixed but kept it overnight to test it out more. Anyone else experienced this problem?

BTW, the "Starts Remaining" keeps going down after each start until 0. This is my first bluetec - didn't realize there would be these additional hassles.

-William
I guess the dealer forgot to top up the ad-blue during the PDI.
onmywayreic is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:58 AM
  #89  
Junior Member
 
xcowdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK Blutec
Our 2014 GLK Blutec has been in shop all week after cel and 2 days later Adblue warning. Only 700 miles and 1 month old. Dealer says new software update came and then an update to the new software came a couple of days ago. Long list of tests and test drive(s) needed. We are still waiting!
xcowdoc is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 AM
  #90  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250
We picked up our car yesterday with the software update after being at the dealership 6 weeks. Our car has 1000 miles on it, 300 miles for the run to and from the dealership and 200 miles of road testing after Adblue "fixes". Dealership was great, provided a 2013 GLK 350 for the whole time our car was in the shop but so far, not a word from MB.
conbar1943 is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 AM
  #91  
Member
 
bugelrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 199
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk
Originally Posted by conbar1943 View Post
We picked up our car yesterday with the software update after being at the dealership 6 weeks. Our car has 1000 miles on it, 300 miles for the run to and from the dealership and 200 miles of road testing after Adblue "fixes". Dealership was great, provided a 2013 GLK 350 for the whole time our car was in the shop but so far, not a word from MB.
Since you get to drive both 250 and 350 for long periods, would love to get your opinions on the differences in driving experience. Quieter? smoother? etc
bugelrex is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 AM
  #92  
Newbie
 
tomkelsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250
The dealer kept our car almost 3 weeks the second time back. We have had it back 1 week and have driven over 300 miles. No problems...Sensors were done and it will go back for the software update when they receive it. Dealer gave us a new C300 both times and picked up and delivered the vehicle. We live 90 miles from the dealer and my only complaint is that they use our fuel and it always comes back needing fuel...
tomkelsey is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 AM
  #93  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250
Bugelrex
I would say the ride in the 250 is a little better but the 250 is much quieter. Wife and I both noticed a lot of wind and road noise in the 350. The 2013 GLK 350 we were using only had a few thousand miles on it.

Tomkelsey

Like you all the trips to and from the dealer and all the test driving was on our fuel.
conbar1943 is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 AM
  #94  
Junior Member
 
emtskibum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250
Well, My 250 finally got bit by the Adblue bug at 5500 miles. Have an appointment later today at the dealership. CEL came on at 1/4 of a tank right before i filled up. Then on my way home later in the day the adblue light came on. Hopefully things go semi smoothly, but we shall see.


EDIT: Service Tech reported they have a bunch of software updates to flash to the car. Hopefully will have it done by the end of the day...

Last edited by emtskibum; 11-01-2013 at 01:20 PM.
emtskibum is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM
  #95  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S350
Hi and greedings from Germany (very sorry for my poor English)

It s interesting to read your problems with the GLK cause I drive a S 350 Bluetec and have the same problems!
I bought it second hand with 20000 km ( about 1200miles) drive it to bulgaria and in slovenia I saw on the dashboard that I can only drive 500 miles because I had problems with my AdBlue. I was surprised because before I set up my dealer maintened the car.
It was very late and call the Mercedes Emergency Call Center they gave me a dealer in Zagreb.
When I wanted to the drive there I was in a petrol station, filled it up (with diesel) and started and the message with the yellow warning light disappeard.
I thought it would be just a small thing and doesn't bothered.
that was 2 weeks ago and now....
Twice it said I need to fill up
An other time the pressure is too low....etc...
Before I go to the dealer I checked the www and saw this and you all helped me a lot!
So...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Hope I can send an picture of a repaired Merc S350 BL
mercgermany is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 07:19 PM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by balticgreen View Post
This is not my first rodeo. Unless there is a major delay, I'll have the car before Thanksgiving.
Following up on this, my car is already on the ship and the ship is on its way, due in Baltimore on Nov 12. The only way I can see not having this car by Thanksgiving is if the ship sinks. Knock on wood.
balticgreen is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 PM
  #97  
Newbie
 
fdny136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk 250
Picked up my car from dealer today software updated and test driven.mercedes sent tech to do the update. I talked to service manager he said no tsb and no service campaign just updated software to main computer.
fdny136 is offline  
Old 11-02-2013, 02:05 AM
  #98  
Junior Member
 
emtskibum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by emtskibum View Post
Well, My 250 finally got bit by the Adblue bug at 5500 miles. Have an appointment later today at the dealership. CEL came on at 1/4 of a tank right before i filled up. Then on my way home later in the day the adblue light came on. Hopefully things go semi smoothly, but we shall see.


EDIT: Service Tech reported they have a bunch of software updates to flash to the car. Hopefully will have it done by the end of the day...
Can't say enough about my dealership. MB of Rockville Center. Dropped the Car off at 10a, had it back and washed by 5p. It took them 3 machines to update all the computers in the car, and they topped off the adblue for good measure. The one Tech spent his entire day on my car to get it right.
emtskibum is offline  
Old 11-02-2013, 07:07 AM
  #99  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BenzV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,736
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 BMW G30 530i XDrive
Originally Posted by jcdammeyer View Post
So today was Service day at my MB dealer. Arrived with doggies in the back of the GLK fully expecting they'd take the car in right away and check the light, upload new software and I'd be on my way.
Instead, and in hind sight perfectly normal, they asked if I needed a cab ride home and what time I'd like to pick it up.
Oops.
After explaining I was with dogs and that I'd then have to make a different date appointment the service guy immediately suggested that I give him a few minutes to pull the GLK into the shop and at least check the codes.
Fifteen minutes later after a lap around the block with the dogs the GLK was still in the shop and the service guy and several mechanics were studying the screen of the PC connected to the vehicle. THen they walked around to the front and opened the hood.
I called over (customers not normally allowed in the shop) and asked if it was serious.
He replied that I should come over and have a look.
Sensor cable nicely chewed almost completely through by a rodent or some sort of woodland creature.
They grabbed their crimp tools, told me to wander around for a while and they'd have it fixed right away.
Once again, I came back and the GLK was still in the shop. Hmmm. What now? This time the delay was due to the wait for getting it washed and the interior vacuumed out.
More walking around. Doggies were tired by now. So was I.
Came back. GLK was dripping wet and clean.
I asked the service guy for the invoice since this was clearly not a warranty issue.
No charge.
On these types of forums people always report and ***** about a problem and then we never get a final report on whether the problem was solved or if there were any issues.
So my report is that the problem is solved. That the Victoria, BC Benz dealer was simply awesome both in support, service and just giving me a general sense of well being.
And the check engine light is off!
I appreciate your feedback and happy to see your issues were resolved . I dislike rodents and it's not 1st ever time I have read that they attacked someone's car lol

Originally Posted by TTRSh View Post
Update: Been almost a whole week since I picked up my GLK (for the 4th time to the dealer) and still no CEL or Starts Remaining count down...Woo Hoo! This is the longest I've had my GLK without any warnings...Maybe I should have waited until 6:00 PM EDT before posting.

During the last visit, MB had the dealer replace the downstream NOx sensor (post converter), perform the reset procedure (again), and did a NOx sensor adaptive reset (for calibrating the replacement part I assume). Dealer also road tested my GLK multiple times including an overnight cold start and rechecked for faults - none!

Hoping this fixes the issue with my GLK for the long run. There is a note that MB is still working on a software fix. Keeping my fingers crossed!

My 2c on this issue is that there was likely a part change for 2014; probably the NOx sensor (the replacement part the dealer put in lists at US$706.25). The AdBlue control module could not be properly calibrated for the new for 2014 sensor (slightly different or shifted operating parameters), hence, the AdBlue low consumption fault code/start remaining count down. It didn't matter how many times the system was reset, the fault code would always come back. How far out the sensor's operating parameters were probably related to how long one could drive before the CEL/remaining starts count down. I am pretty sure the sensor readings are averaged over time/distance traveled. Once the accumulated reading is seen as out of spec...fault code.

For those questioning the quality of the fuel, it probably is a contributing factor, but is likely not a major one but just enough to tip it over the edge.

One last note...my dealer has been great! Always quick to respond and kept me up to date with what was going on.
Great to see your issues were fixed , thanks for your feedback

Originally Posted by mercgermany View Post
Hi and greedings from Germany (very sorry for my poor English)

It s interesting to read your problems with the GLK cause I drive a S 350 Bluetec and have the same problems!
I bought it second hand with 20000 km ( about 1200miles) drive it to bulgaria and in slovenia I saw on the dashboard that I can only drive 500 miles because I had problems with my AdBlue. I was surprised because before I set up my dealer maintened the car.
It was very late and call the Mercedes Emergency Call Center they gave me a dealer in Zagreb.
When I wanted to the drive there I was in a petrol station, filled it up (with diesel) and started and the message with the yellow warning light disappeard.
I thought it would be just a small thing and doesn't bothered.
that was 2 weeks ago and now....
Twice it said I need to fill up
An other time the pressure is too low....etc...
Before I go to the dealer I checked the www and saw this and you all helped me a lot!
So...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Hope I can send an picture of a repaired Merc S350 BL
You can also visit W221 Forums , we have a couple of W221 BLUETEC Owners and I have never heard of any single problems associated with their cars on the diesel content .
In W212 Forums , I have not heard of diesel powered engines are throwing away some problems either
Read konigstieger's posts as well as stickies at the top of the page ,I am sure they will give you some insight

To tomkelsey :
Thanks for your uploading an image of your gauge cluster as I wondered what it looked like .Honestly , I was not aware of such warning before

HAPPY DRIVING ALL

Last edited by BenzV12; 11-02-2013 at 07:19 AM.
BenzV12 is offline  
Old 11-05-2013, 06:33 PM
  #100  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 640
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
GLK250 2014
Software Update

I was at my dealer today. He advised that they now had the software update for the Adblue problem. Apparently they have been advised to only apply it on an as-needed basis. So it is not subject of a recall.

At least now, all MB dealers will have this software, so if it happens while on road, we should be able to go to any dealer for update.

Hope this is the end of the problem.
107123210 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: