GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2013 GLK issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK350
I am just curious on your process of getting mb to buy back the car? Any update or the detail story would be great. How do you initiate the process, is there any negotiating etc...
Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350
I have actually retained an attorney to take this matter up for me. I could not get anywhere with MBUSA. The case manager only offered to pay for one month's lease payment, even though the car was financed and not leased. I simply told him he would hear from my attorney and that was the end of our conversation.

I still have a rough idle, the rpm gauge keeps bouncing around even when the engine is warm and at idle....something tells me there is wrong. Also, the M276 engine does not feel as smooth after the so called repairs, and my gas mileage has gone to **** after changing the intake camshaft on the right cylinder bank, and the cylinder head.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1982 380 SEC (Euro), 2013 GLK 350
For what it's worth. My wife and I ordered the 2013 GLK350 and took possession in Sept 2012. We drove coast to coast, logging just under 10,000 miles. We had 2 issues: the parking brake sensors would sound without anything nearby, and while on the open road, the transmission downshifted to about 40 mph from 80 mph. It happened a couple of times & fortunately the roads were clear at the time. We took it in for early service - the sensors were replaced (faulty installation) & the transmission was replaced (metal shavings found in the filter). The car was 2 months old. Six months after that, the LED parking light burnt out. That required the bumper, front wheels & liners to be removed to access the retaining bolts for the headlamp unit to be replaced. Our last issue was a rattle from under the centre console area that was traced on the second try to a loose parking brake cable. (That was repaired with insulating tape) The vehicle is 14 months old now & has 23,000 kilometres (14,000 miles)We wrote to MB Canada with our issues & said we felt that we were dealing with a "lemon"issue. We found out that in the "industry" a "lemon" only refers to a single problem/issue that cannot be repaired after repeated attempts. Our local dealer simply stated that that was the reason manufacturers had warrantys - no "buybacks" or free extended warranty. I strongly doubt we'll keep it much longer.
Oh - after a week with our car - they logged 45 miles & returned it to us empty of gas. The manager said "my bad".
Old 04-11-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Originally Posted by Sheldallas
Just saw your note about the numerous problems you have had. I can relate to the one about the engine.

I have a 2012 C350 with the M276 engine, same as in your vehicle. After much trouble with my engine, cold start valve clatter sound lasting a minute or so until engine warmed,
I finally got a regional MB Tech to diagnose a faulty wrist pin (apparently a metal fatigue defect) on the connecting rod, causing the rod to loosen slightly from side to side causing the noise; I actually saw him demonstrate this with the rod from my engine in the shop. You could not hear the noise when the engine reached normal operating temp.

Yes, they had to pull the engine, and replace all 6 pistons and connecting rods; everything else on the top end of the engine was fine. Repair was done at 10,000 miles, and it has been 4 months since then; I am pleased to say, no further problems.

Apparently, this was a known problem on these engines built before December 2012; has since been fixed on newer engines. So if your engine is a pre December 2012, be aware.

Otherwise my vehicle has been great; have not had any other issue.

I would consider your vehicle a Lemon, under Texas law where I live.

I have found Mercedes to be an excellent company standing behind their vehicles in resolving any problem under warranty.

Good luck with resolution that hopefully is in your favor.
I also had the same exact issues at 10K, but on a 14 E350. Talk about quality.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:34 PM

2012 C350 Sport Sedan
2013 GLK issues

Originally Posted by Mbracer26
I also had the same exact issues at 10K, but on a 14 E350. Talk about quality.
Sorry to hear of your same problem, but I hope they are doing a major bottom end engine rebuild for you. Hard to believe the wrist pin metal fatigue issue could still be happening 2 years after my experience. If so,
that is really a statement about quality.

The good news is on my end, fast forward 15,000 Miles, and my engine runs perfectly. So I am now a believer, that after seeing my engine during the rebuild, scattered over the shop floor and bench, the MB tech that did the job really knew what he was doing; an excellent job.

To me, it seems if you have a first rate MB Dealer with a great Service Department(like Park Place here in Dallas) you have a good chance of coming out of all this hassle as a satisfied customer. Really sad to hear about so many other members on this forum, who have not had a good outcome.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:16 PM

2012 E350 4MATIC, 2013 CLS550
M276 nightmare

My 2012 E Class with the m276 has been in service at dealership for a month now with this camshaft issue. Right as the car hit 100k, it started making a metallic clanking noise at start up, shaking horribly and then engine light illuminated. Passengers started to question what was going on so it became quite embarrassing for a car of this caliber to be making these noises. Took it in to the two dealerships in state, one quoted me over $7k to repair, another “only” $4k. I took it in, they had it for two weeks, replaced camshaft and timing tensioners, I paid the $4k, drove it home- THAT DAY, noise returns and light comes on again, made videos of it, sent them to service advisor, he says bring it back ASAP-took it back, they determined freshly replaced camshaft and components immediately failed again, so, car is still at dealership, a case has been opened with MBUSA and was told this is most definitely a quality control issue and will take weeks to sort out. I’m trying REALLY hard to not let this tarnish my opinion of the brand but I’m not very impressed at this point. I’ll never trust the car. I also have a 2013 CLS550 and I’m just as nervous driving it just waiting for that dreaded light to come on. Lexus or Genesis is starting to look better and better. I better not be out any more money for this KNOWN issue. 😒😒
Old 09-12-2018, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 227 Posts
GLK 250
Question

Originally Posted by Cory Wilson
My 2012 E Class with the m276 has been in service at dealership for a month now with this camshaft crankshaft issue. Right as the car hit 100k, it started making a metallic clanking noise at start up, shaking horribly and then engine light illuminated. Passengers started to question what was going on so it became quite embarrassing for a car of this caliber to be making these noises. Took it in to the two dealerships in state, one quoted me over $7k to repair, another “only” $4k. I took it in, they had it for two weeks, replaced camshaft and timing tensioners, I paid the $4k, drove it home- THAT DAY, noise returns and light comes on again, made videos of it, sent them to service advisor, he says bring it back ASAP-took it back, they determined freshly replaced camshaft and components immediately failed again, so, car is still at dealership, a case has been opened with MBUSA and was told this is most definitely a quality control issue and will take weeks to sort out. I’m trying REALLY hard to not let this tarnish my opinion of the brand but I’m not very impressed at this point. I’ll never trust the car. I also have a 2013 CLS550 and I’m just as nervous driving it just waiting for that dreaded light to come on. Lexus or Genesis is starting to look better and better. I better not be out any more money for this KNOWN issue. 😒😒
Correction made. You could have started a new thread instead of resurrecting an old one, but what the hey.... Here are my thoughts, in no particular order and without filtering. YMMV.

The camshaft, chain, and tensioners most likely were not your problem in the first place.

It's hard to discern if yours is a serious post or "fake news" type. I don't know of a dealership that would replace a cam, chain and tensioners unless they were truly defective and certain engine timing codes were stored in the ECU.

That said, if they were defective and replaced, I'd most likely suspect the repair tech of not installing the new parts (or you breaking them in) properly. Yet more reason to suspect your post.

If your concerns are genuine, I hope your problems get rectified properly.

If you came here for a drive-by MB bashing, well.... good luck with a Lexus or Hyundai, neither of which are in the same league as MB.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
Really?

I got news for you...Genesis is a much better option to Mercedes right now and I've owned MB for 40 years with 3 in my garage as I write this. My next car is going to be a Genesis. My mind was made up when I notice Mercedes has stopped designing quality parts and started buying their quality from Korea....specifically from Hyundai. The proof.....I went to disconnect the battery on my 2014 C300 and right there on the top of the NEG. terminal was the emergency fuse disconnect proudly displaying Made by HYUNDAI MOBIS.
So, if Hyundai parts are good enough for Mercedes then a whole car made by Hyundai

is good enough for me.

Last edited by Brian McL; 05-18-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 CLA 45, 2013 GLK 350
As a Mercedes owner for the last 4 years, I can safely say I will not buy a Mercedes again. There are just too many issues with my Mercedes GLK and my wife's CLA 45. We recently traded in our 2016 CLA 45 for a Mazda CX-9. When I retire my GLK in a couple of years, I will replace it with a Japanese car as well. Overall Japanese cars are more reliable to keep long term. If you love Mercedes and you want to lease it, you'll be just fine. My next car will likely be a Lexus LC. The fit and finish is better than most Mercedes I've seen at the dealer.

Last edited by Van Ha Nguyen; 05-18-2019 at 05:49 PM.