GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Ash tray removal (Pix)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL540
Lightbulb Ash tray removal (Pix)

In my on-going effort to hardwire my Valentine 1 remote display in the center console ashtry (because of Mercedes' decision to remove the 12V port from the glove box...); I played with removing the tray from the console.

Pretty easy -- didn't finish wiring since I couldn't find a ground to screw to - might tap the cigar lighter for that too, but need to buy a connector.

Process straightforward.

Open console door and pull up the rubber mat. Yo will find a 10mm screw underneath:

Remove that screw, and gently push back the 2 tabs show with the arrows - that releases the back plate:

Then you need to slide back (towards dash) and up - mine was tight, but finally let go... (Careful - wires attached):

Now that it's out, you can reach the wires - the ones to play with are under the cigar lighter -- why there are 3 is a mystery... The peach-colored one appears to be the 12v piece.

Since I couldn't find a ground to use the Valentine direct power kit, I reversed the procedure. Note - there is a nice little hole between the ash try and under the cup holder where that direct interface will go.

More pix when I get the tap I need and try...

Martin in NH
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Don't understand that you could not find a ground. The shell of the lighter is ground, the center pin is 12 V switched.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL540
Thanks - realize ground is on the lighter -- but Valentine only supplied a single clip/tap for power (snap-on), so need to buy another tap for ground. Was hoping to leverage a screw into the body, but none around...

Martin
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM

350 GLK, C280
Grab a bunch of those taps at Radio Shack or Home Depot. They always come in handy in your tool box. I picked up the power from the lighter socket that is inside the glove box. From there it was easy to run the power line up the windshield pillar and over under the head liner to the detector mount. I left the plug on the line so I could easily use the detector in the rental cars I used weekly by just unplugging it. I have a Bell 995 which I am sure is different power cord than the Valentine.
There is no power available in the overhead light system. All of it is triggered from the computer system, so you can't use it directly as in the old days.
I also keep a rechargeable led flashlight that plugs into the lighter socket in the glove box. Comes in handy when you need a small bright light.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Did you ever go through this installation?
I was thinking the same, running cig power source from center, run it up through pillar and through headliner.

When I had X5, many people tapped interior light source for hard wire including myself. Never had a problem with it for 2 years that I had the car. But I am not sure if our GLK interior light source has fuse that can handle extra load of juice. If it does, it will be the easiest way to tap a switched 12v source.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM

350 GLK, C280
The lights are run from the computer and therefore not usable for other accessories. Power systems are monitored now for faults. On Earlier GLK's like mine, there is a 12 volt switched lighter type socket in the upper right hand corner of the passenger dash glove box. Extremely convenient for picking up switched power.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250
The 3rd wire is for the illuminated ring around the lighter port.

I've tapped into the power wire myself and it works just fine. I wouldn't put a huge load on it, however.