GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK250 Continued Issues - BEWARE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
We also just picked up my wife's 2014 Blutec yesterday. Will see how it goes!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML 320 cdi ,2014GLK250
glk 250

Just got our 2014glk 250 back from dealer. They said that the first update had been corrupted when it was downloade over the internet. Today they did another download from Germany and all the error codes were removed and cleaned up. Why they didnt contact Germany the first time when the error codes were not all removed. Sure hope this fixes everthing.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Originally Posted by eagle65
Just got our 2014glk 250 back from dealer. They said that the first update had been corrupted when it was downloade over the internet. Today they did another download from Germany and all the error codes were removed and cleaned up. Why they didnt contact Germany the first time when the error codes were not all removed. Sure hope this fixes everthing.
Sounds suspect to me, but hopefully they were genuine in this. At least it's an easy error to fix... too bad they don't cross-reference a checksum or something.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 PM

2014 GLK250 09/13
I just purchased a 2014 GLK250 a week ago, and have just a bit over 1K miles and then the check engine light came on! The OBD2 scanner won't recognize the error codes, so I'll be paying a visit to the dealer pretty soon to have them figure out the issue or take this car back. And I thought Mercedes would be different than BMW...
Old 12-22-2013, 10:47 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by jimbeam7
I just purchased a 2014 GLK250 a week ago, and have just a bit over 1K miles and then the check engine light came on! The OBD2 scanner won't recognize the error codes, so I'll be paying a visit to the dealer pretty soon to have them figure out the issue or take this car back. And I thought Mercedes would be different than BMW...
I'm sorry to hear that--really, I am--but you are putting the cart before the horse in talking about them taking the car back.

If it's just a CEL and the AdBlue message hasn't come on (and assuming that you did tighten the fuel cap) then the most likely cause, statistically speaking, is a failed sensor. This is not a big deal. I had a C Class that popped a CEL at 1,600 miles. Failed oxygen sensor. The dealer fixed it the same afternoon and everything was fine after that.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM

2014 GLK250 09/13
It was only a CEL and on my way to the service, quite ironically so, the AdBlue warning with 10 starts left message came on.

The service accepted the car right away and said there was an issue with the AdBlue system. The solution was to "calibrate the AdBlue system" and do whatever the computer told them to do. I guess nowadays there is no human decision making involved.

I told them about a software update, but they said there wasn't anything extra to do at the moment.

I hope the CEL/AdBlue warning doesn't show up again!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Do you know when your car was built?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:34 PM

2014 GLK250 09/13
Yup, unfortunately 09/2013...
Old 12-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Oh yeah, that was when the problem was surfacing and no fix was known yet. The dealer will take care of it. It's good that they knew what to do. Some people were reporting that dealers weren't aware of the problem even after a fix was available for it.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:42 PM

2014 GLK250 09/13
Well, they weren't aware of a specific problem for the 2014 GLK250s... They just followed whatever their computer told them to do.

We'll see if this fix is a keeper
Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 AM

2013 GLK 250 bluetec
Any of you that had commented on Check Engine light coming on more than once, can I have an update? I am taking mine in for the second time for this problem. It is such a disappointment, as I had thought Mercedes ment quality.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 PM

2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by bekstar6
Any of you that had commented on Check Engine light coming on more than once, can I have an update? I am taking mine in for the second time for this problem. It is such a disappointment, as I had thought Mercedes ment quality.

I have had my 2014 GLK 250 in for 3 CEL issues. 1st was for the dreaded AdBlue warning,the 2nd was for a loose air filter and the 3rd was for a faulty sensor. I was not impressed with the amount of visits to the service department but can say that my dealer was very accommodating and professional. Hopefully my repeat visits are over. Otherwise, (knock on wood) I really like the GLK and I find it a pleasure to drive. My biggest beef was with the AdBlue issue. It was a known problem and IMO Mercedes did not attempt to rectify the problem, only wait for the customer to bring the problem to them. I realize it hasn't happened to all the GLKs but a voluntary recall should have been made available.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 PM

2014 GLK250
I had the adblue check engine light come on 4 starts left, with a little over 200 miles on the car.It was a Sunday and I was leaving to NY from my Florida home when it came on. I was about 50 miles into the trip, so I drove it back to the dealership, which happened to be open on Sunday. The car had to be left until Monday when the service dept. opened. they gave me a loaner car and paid for my dinner and overnight hotel stay. I got the car back Monday morning, and was told that it was a computer reprogram. I have about 2500 miles on it now and no problems.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 AM
tn1

2013 GLk 250
My 2013 is around 8 months old. Had my first Check engine light a few days ago. Took it in and they said it was an oxygen sensor which they replaced. Is this sensor related to the adblue problem?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
I had a 13 glk250 that my dealer bought back after repeated engine light issues starting at 6k miles. The car was sent to auction w/o cpo or mfg's warranty. I replaced it with a 2014 and today at 350 miles I got the dreaded engine light.

Took it straight to the dealer's GM for service, he had service read the fault codes and it was Ad-Blue and a sensor in the exhaust system.

The cure of course is a software download and replace the sensor. I should have it back tomorrow.

Just a few questions here, when your engine light came on what were the driving conditions, speed, miles driven, engine hot or cold, weather?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by LesF
Just a few questions here, when your engine light came on what were the driving conditions, speed, miles driven, engine hot or cold, weather?
Nothing unusual, normal driving under 75mph, it all started after ~250 miles driving in November 2013 near Cincinnati, OH on our 2014 GLK250 (August 2013 assembly) with ~1600 miles on odometer. See my post #180 at https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...warning-8.html

As of today all is good with total of ~4300 miles on the vehicle.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by tn1
Took it in and they said it was an oxygen sensor which they replaced. Is this sensor related to the adblue problem?
No. Bad oxygen sensors are a common cause of check engine lights among cars in general.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:06 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTec
I too have a 2014 GLK with this issue. Had it 7 weeks, check engine light has been on all but 4 days of that. Check engine light came on first day with the car followed shortly after by the AdBlue sensor. After several trips to the dealer and "fixes" they finally told me to "just ignore it." Problem is now I have 5 starts remaining! I'm getting to the end of my rope with this car. MB needs to figure it out.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by erikaturk
After several trips to the dealer and "fixes" they finally told me to "just ignore it."
You have a bad dealer and an unknowledgeable service advisor. The most common fix at my dealer has been a software update and replacement of one of two of the sensors. The Service Manager at my dealer tells me the few complaints they've had have all been repaired in this manner and there have been no comebacks. He also tells me the problem occurs similarly in ML series and in Dodge trucks.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Bob338
You have a bad dealer and an unknowledgeable service advisor. The most common fix at my dealer has been a software update and replacement of one of two of the sensors. The Service Manager at my dealer tells me the few complaints they've had have all been repaired in this manner and there have been no comebacks. He also tells me the problem occurs similarly in ML series and in Dodge trucks.
I've had several software update attempts and a sensor replacement, both of which have been unsuccessful fixes.

Seeing your location, I'm curious as to which dealer you use, if you don't mind saying? That's within reasonable driving distance (although unfortunately a prolonged trip thanks to this 50 situation) and maybe it's time to switch.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by erikaturk
Seeing your location, I'm curious as to which dealer you use, if you don't mind saying? That's within reasonable driving distance (although unfortunately a prolonged trip thanks to this 50 situation) and maybe it's time to switch.
My dealer is part of the Von Housen Group, Mercedes Benz of Rocklin. The Service Manager to whom I'm referring is Chris Roth. I've had my cars into the other two dealerships this group owns and I've never been impressed and won't go back to the other two.

I don't have much faith in ANY service department because of the pressures put on them by management to generate income and I've stated this to the 'ground' people, which is how I got involved with this service department. I've gotten two cars from them and have voiced these opinions which put me together with the service folks. I spent quite a bit of time with Chris and I liked him and I specifically discussed these issues and the Ad Blue issue. I've been fortunate as I've never had a warranty problem on either of the two cars I've gotten from them so I have no first hand experience with their MO, but I had a very positive reaction to the conversations and emails I've exchanged with him. In the A service I did on an E350 BlueTec I was specific on the work I wanted at one of their other dealerships and had them itemize item by item. Mercedes of El Dorado Hills is much closer to my home, but I've had major problems with them on my wife's car.

If you like, PM me and I'll give you his email address for contact. I do intend to try them for my first service on this car in the near future and I will then form a more accurate opinion. I'm expecting to do my own Ad Blue and expect to be specific on what they will do item by item and how they price each, not for an all inclusive "A" service and their fixed price. If they don't like the way I want it I'll drive off to a certified indie. The only thing for which you need a dealer is warranty work and you don't have to pay for that. If you get screwed it's your own fault.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:26 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Bob338
My dealer is part of the Von Housen Group, Mercedes Benz of Rocklin. The Service Manager to whom I'm referring is Chris Roth. I've had my cars into the other two dealerships this group owns and I've never been impressed and won't go back to the other two.

I don't have much faith in ANY service department because of the pressures put on them by management to generate income and I've stated this to the 'ground' people, which is how I got involved with this service department. I've gotten two cars from them and have voiced these opinions which put me together with the service folks. I spent quite a bit of time with Chris and I liked him and I specifically discussed these issues and the Ad Blue issue. I've been fortunate as I've never had a warranty problem on either of the two cars I've gotten from them so I have no first hand experience with their MO, but I had a very positive reaction to the conversations and emails I've exchanged with him. In the A service I did on an E350 BlueTec I was specific on the work I wanted at one of their other dealerships and had them itemize item by item. Mercedes of El Dorado Hills is much closer to my home, but I've had major problems with them on my wife's car.

If you like, PM me and I'll give you his email address for contact. I do intend to try them for my first service on this car in the near future and I will then form a more accurate opinion. I'm expecting to do my own Ad Blue and expect to be specific on what they will do item by item and how they price each, not for an all inclusive "A" service and their fixed price. If they don't like the way I want it I'll drive off to a certified indie. The only thing for which you need a dealer is warranty work and you don't have to pay for that. If you get screwed it's your own fault.
I've avoided Von Housen like the plague after my experience with Sacramento. Interesting that one of their branches is better, though I purposefully steered clear of that particular one due to the reviews I found. I haven't even thought about servicing the car yet because it hasn't even hit 1,000 miles and can't even run as is!
Old 05-31-2014, 03:09 AM

glk250
2013 GLK ad blue issues

Our 2013 GLK 250 has been in the shop three times now with the check engine light and we only have 7,000 miles on the car. Dealership has told us that they do not know of a specific fix and they are waiting for direction from MBenz USA. While we have been fairly happy with the service dept at the dealership, we've been very unhappy with Mercedes Benz USA. Our calls and emails to them have gone unanswered. We are beginning the process of looking into the Lemon Law here in California, as it appears the Lemon Law is different in every state.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by socalglk
Our 2013 GLK 250 has been in the shop three times now with the check engine light and we only have 7,000 miles on the car. Dealership has told us that they do not know of a specific fix and they are waiting for direction from MBenz USA. While we have been fairly happy with the service dept at the dealership, we've been very unhappy with Mercedes Benz USA. Our calls and emails to them have gone unanswered. We are beginning the process of looking into the Lemon Law here in California, as it appears the Lemon Law is different in every state.
You need a more competent and knowledgeable service department!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
Originally Posted by socalglk

I didn't have a problem with MB-USA with replying to my concerns with the engine light and the accompanying problems in my 2013. In fact along with the dealer I didn't have to progress to the lemon law to get the car replaced. No manufacturer wants to go that route as it hurts their image.

They are a bit slow to respond but once I had a contact name and number the process became a bit easier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK250 Continued Issues - BEWARE