GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Jerky Brake and Other Annoying Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK220 4Matic BlueEfficiency
Jerky Brake and Other Annoying Issues

I have a 2010 220 CDI 4Matic. I changed the brake pads about a year ago due to squeaky brakes but recently I've started hearing a faint squeak again. It's been driven less than 10,000 KMs for the past year

A bigger, more annoying issue though is that when I brake and am almost at a complete stop, the car will kind of jerk to a stop. Could this be a brake pad issue too? Or a transmission issue?

It's getting really cold here and the car would shake for several minutes and I attributed it to the climate. Does this affect the brakes?

Wondering how much this will cost to fix as I'm out of warranty.

Any help?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
The jerk to a stop sounds more like a transmission downshifting. I would do a little experiment and shift into neutral when coming to a stop about 5 seconds before so the transmission is "out of the play" and see if it still jerks. If it doesn't and seems like the transmission might be the culprit I would have a shop you trust look at it. A simple fluid change could improve it before it requires a lot more work. You didn't say how many miles are on it and if temperature makes a difference. This could come into play.
The squeak is dust on the brake pads. There is a no squeak material that should have been put on the back when the brakes were done. CRC sells a small bottle of this red goop but there are others. Did you do the pads or a shop? You or the shop need to check on this. Not a big deal but this needs to be done or it will make noise until it's done or replaced.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK220 4Matic BlueEfficiency
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
The jerk to a stop sounds more like a transmission downshifting. I would do a little experiment and shift into neutral when coming to a stop about 5 seconds before so the transmission is "out of the play" and see if it still jerks. If it doesn't and seems like the transmission might be the culprit I would have a shop you trust look at it. A simple fluid change could improve it before it requires a lot more work. You didn't say how many miles are on it and if temperature makes a difference. This could come into play.
The squeak is dust on the brake pads. There is a no squeak material that should have been put on the back when the brakes were done. CRC sells a small bottle of this red goop but there are others. Did you do the pads or a shop? You or the shop need to check on this. Not a big deal but this needs to be done or it will make noise until it's done or replaced.
Thanks for the tip. I will try it. The car has 40,000 KMs on it. Hopefully it will just be a fluid change. I'm going to take it to the Mercedes service center to take a look at it. It's weird; it seems to only happen when it's cold outside and I just started driving. Sometimes I don't feel the jerk at all, especially after I have been driving for some time.

With regards to the squeaking, I'm in Korea so I don't understand 100% the language. When I addressed the issue last time I believed they said they changed the rotors or the pads. I'm not too sure but I'll have them look at it again. The noise seems to have disappeared for now but I'm pretty sure that it will come back soon