GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Lost Key Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Lost Key Replacement

I've lost the remote portion of a key. The blade key is intact which befuddles me since the little sucker is a handful to get off. Parked the car, got in the house, grabbed my keys to open the door and I noticed the fob had fallen off the blade.

Backtracked and circled around for about 2 hours but I could not find anything! I live in an apartment so I am very worried about my car being gone in the morning.

I've moved the E-coupe out of the garage (gated) and the GLK in, but this will only hold off thieves that are not residents and as long as no one lets any strangers in through the lobby at night.

I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow to have them deactivate that key, but I have a few questions I hope I can have answered before I go.

1. Can individual keys be deactivated?
2. I have found conflicting numbers about how many times the keys can be reprogrammed. From what I understand, it can be reprogrammed 7 times, 3 keys per cycle.

So, if I were to break a key I could get a second spare and not use 1 of the 7 "reprogramming" cycles.

However, since I have lost the key does this mean the spare and the new key have to be "reprogrammed" in order for the lost key to be deactivated? Thus leaving me with only 6 more "cycles".

Am I correct?

Last edited by dcjwlee; 12-23-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by dcjwlee

Backtracked and circled around for about 2 hours but I could not find anything! I live in an apartment so I am very worried about my car being gone in the morning.
I suppose you could immobilize the car in some way. Disconnect battery perhaps? Or perhaps there is some key fuse that can be pulled that would prevent the car from starting?

But hopefully car will be there in morning and dealer can help you. It sometimes takes a little while to get key programmed. From what I understand, they have to link to a computer in Germany.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
The dealer will need to reprogram two new keys to solve your problem and use up one of your 7 reprogramming opportunities. Otherwise you need to hope no one finds the fob and figures out how to use it. It's a bit remote a worry and it might have fallen in to somewhere it got ruined or run over. A small gamble. I suspect the thief who (finally) finds it would have to assess where all the Mercedes are in the neighborhood and start testing - if it's still good. A bit remote. How lucky do you feel? After all, you're looking at buying two expensive keys. The keys can't be re-programmed so it's new keys.