GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Brake Sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Brake Sensors

I am going to replace my brake pads soon and might as well get the rotors re-surfaced and the sensors changed. I bought OEM pads.

For the sensors, does anyone recommend an affordable brand that is OEM or aftermarket?

I do not trust Ebay, as most of those sensors seem super cheap in cost. Wouldn't be worth trying them, as it would cost more money to re-do the brakes in case they do not work.

Amazon sells Centric (116.35005) for about $5 each that includes shipping, but the reviews suggest that the GLK may use different fitting sensors on the front and rear brakes.

Is this true?

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350
Mercedes advises against resurfacing the rotors FYI... You can get the sensors from the dealer for fairly cheap or even try auatohausaz.com. They sell OEM parts and accessories.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Correct - rotors are not resurfaced, they are replaced if they drop at/below minimum thickness.

Front's and rear's OE are Zimmerman - fronts uner $90 online, rears under $55.

Pad's - I have had good expereince with Posi-Quiet semi-metallics - hate Textar - OEM are Pagid.

If you haven't set off brake pad "warning" light - sensors do not need to be replaced - all brake sensors are cheap sh*t.

Any competent brake shop can do the labor part - nothing trickster with the GLK brakes.

Keep the beat !
Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Correct - rotors are not resurfaced, they are replaced if they drop at/below minimum thickness.

Front's and rear's OE are Zimmerman - fronts uner $90 online, rears under $55.

Pad's - I have had good expereince with Posi-Quiet semi-metallics - hate Textar - OEM are Pagid.

If you haven't set off brake pad "warning" light - sensors do not need to be replaced - all brake sensors are cheap sh*t.

Any competent brake shop can do the labor part - nothing trickster with the GLK brakes.

Keep the beat !
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know how many brake sensors the GLK 2010 needs?

On AutoHauz AZ, it is the front right and rear right. But on other websites, it says front left and rear right. Two sensors total for the car.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by rocketd55
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know how many brake sensors the GLK 2010 needs?

On AutoHauz AZ, it is the front right and rear right. But on other websites, it says front left and rear right. Two sensors total for the car.

2 sensors total.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM

mercedes benz glk 350
Originally Posted by mbforlife86
Mercedes advises against resurfacing the rotors FYI... You can get the sensors from the dealer for fairly cheap or even try auatohausaz.com. They sell OEM parts and accessories.
Totally agree with mbforlife86. Do not resurface the rotors. I think mb used rotors high in iron content which is great for heat shedding and high performance, but the rotors on my 10 glk were eaten away by the pads, creating a huge lip on edge of rotor and the pads were only half done! I'm not an engineer but after washing car the rotors would rust up in about 20 mins (again normal for high iron rotors) I figure iron is softer than steel and this was the cause. The brakes still worked perfect but squeaked. As for the sensor, there is only one on the front pass side 2010 model. I doubt your rear brakes are in need of replacement If you haven't done the fronts yet. I'm usually an oem kinda guy but I used high perf after market in this case to remedy premature rotor wear and that crazy amount of brake dust from oem mb brakes. Hope this helps
Mike
Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 PM

glk 350
brake sensors and pads

My front brakes pads wore out after 43,000 miles. Brake pads were fine on the inside but the outside pads were completely shot. For convenience I just bought new rotors - $50 each at Advance Auto. Pads were hard to find but those were $45. Doesn't make sense to go take rotors somewhere to get turned and pay $15 each and then have to go pick them up later while having everything disassembled first. I like to do one side at a time since i only have a floor jack and not a lift. Ironically the sensors never indicated brake pad failure - maybe because they were on the inside pads that still had plenty of wear left. The brake pads came with sensors on both inside pads. Only the right side had a connection. I am not sure how useful this brake pad sensor is. Total fail on my GLK.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Most brake rotors for the past 20 years are meant to be replaced and not resurfaced. If you do replace the rotors stay away from the cheap ones and go with OEM or better. I prefer cryo treated rotors as they perform better and last longer. With cryo treated rotors you can also use pads with more aggressive braking materials without worrying about rotor failure.

These guys describe the process and benefits. http://www.300below.com/cryo-rotor-brake-rotors/