GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014
View Poll Results: What do you inspect etc when you take delivery ??
Just give me the keys … I’m outta there
14.29%
I let the sales rep do the walk around with me and demos
50.00%
The Rep does the demo etc and I ask a few questions
21.43%
Zealot – I use a flashlight to check some of the more difficult spaces
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

When you take delivery - a poll and some food for thought

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
Post When you take delivery - a poll and some food for thought

Hi,

Just a thread to get some food for thought, especially for those who would be taking delivery in the future.

Question: When you are taking delivery of a vehicle, what do you inspect etc?

There are a few threads floating around where buyers have surprises: No spare tire, missing accessories, odometer not as expected, etc. ... Now I feel these are all sound questions, especially after the fact (like how the lights work), so don't get me wrong. There are not really any dumb questions.

Maybe I'm a bit over the top, but when I take delivery of a vehicle, I actually use a flashlight. I do a dent and ding inspection (especially with a new car). My MB dealer brings the car indoors for delivery so I end up on the floor sometimes.

They told me to budget 90 minutes minimum for the delivery demo etc. I had them do it all and I still forgot afterwards that the steering column was telescopic.

I even actually visually check the VIN versus the sales contract and I make sure the 2 VIN plaques are the same (weird eh).

Anyway, ... just food for thought.

Happy motoring.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
I drive the car as soon as i can and then take the time to check everything out by myself. The best feeling in the world is owning a new car!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
I haven't ever bought that many new cars so don't really have a "way".

Back in 70's, I bought a Volvo. It was a demo with about 6000k km.
In 80s, I bought an Olds Cierra, also a low mileage demo.
In late 80s, I bought a Chevy SW. That was new.
In 90s, I bought a new Chev Tahoe.
I don't recall salesmen doing any demos with those cars. Just got in and drove away, just like a rental car. But cars were a lot more simple back then.

We have 4 Benzes. The oldest two were very second hand when I bought them. No one showed me anything nor did they need to. Simple cars. The E320 was bought through a dealer. I don't think they showed me much but did run through a few things.

For the GLK, I got the proper treatment from the owner of the dealership. Seems they are trained to run through a standard orientation. He demoed how to do each step, then had me do them. Bit of info overload, so had to do some reading later. Still not 100%. What helped, was that I gave my wife the grand intro to the GLK. When I didn't know the answer, we looked it up. Two things we could not find answers for:

- How to adjust rear view mirror. No buttons like side mirrors. Tried to move whole mirror, but it was tight and I didn't want to break something. So we raised seat so wife could use mirror! After her test drive, I decided to apply more force. Maybe interior had warmed up, and mirror moved just same as our e-class one does

- Two buttons on overhead console didn't seem to do anything. Tried turning them on and off but no light operated. Finally drove to dealership and asked the service manager. He didn't know either and said perhaps the lights only came on if it was dark outside. But which lights? Finally, while he was studying manual, I happened to look up at mirror while operating those switches. Aha - map lights located on underside of mirror!

I still don't have a feel for the many buttons, especially for the sound system and the other ones on the steering wheel. But know enough for now. Maybe learn more on our trip South next week.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
Yes, the map lights aren't to noticeable in the day, but at night they do a good job.

I am a bit over the top for 2 reasons, ...

1. I get to know a bit more and the learning curve is easier., but more importantly,
2. The vehicle inspection itself. No surprises this way.

Years ago, I was taking delivery of a "new" Toyota. Now it was only a base model Corolla. Least expensive 4 door back then (excluding a Hyndai Pony). The dealer and contract detailed some specs. Since I inspect the car BEFORE signing the sales contract, the 2 anomalies (knock off radio and 450 km on the odo) meant I walked away from the sale.

Same thing for dings, dents and scratches. I assume a new car will have NONE, ... absolutely NONE. I check the door and body panels for alignment. All the accessories need to be there too.

I also like to have the tech who did the prep there too so HE can answer any questions I have about when he unwrapped the car and prepped it. I once was about to take a new land rover and the tech mentioned there was no oil in the motor when he prepped, so he filled it correctly. Since the truck had 18 km on it, I had them change it for another one (delay of 3 days).

Maybe I'm just too hard on dealers, but it is a lot of money to put on the table.

Their "reaction" to my antics also show me a lot about the dealer to see if I'll be using them for maintenance.