GLK Android 4.4 Screen cast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK
GLK Android 4.4 Screen cast?

Hi everyone,

I saw a friend of mine using his Android Screen Cast option (4.2-4.4) with his E 220 Mercedes. He told me an after market product was installed on his original multimedia screen and he is now able to send his android to his monitor.

IS anyone here familier with that sort of stuff? say for example, where can I get such an after market product?

Additionally, any ideas on how to install this by myself? I guess theres an AUX HDMI/RCA input not used which the screen cast receiver can connect to...

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 350 4Matic
Can you ask what the after market product is? I am very interested
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 AM

GLK
I think this is enough to enable this sort of thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Push2TV-Wireless-Display-HDMI-Adapter-with-Miracast-NETGEAR-/281248045224?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item417bb098a8

However, I have no idea how to plug it into the 5" display

Anyone?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 120D M-Sport
Hi,

You can buy a little Android module that support AV output (not HDMI) and put it in the glovebox. If you purchase one with HDMI output, you'll have to buy also a HDMI2AV converter...

Then you connect your Android to your NTG with a kind of fakra cable.
You have to know which version of the NTG you have.
The NTG4 (before facelift) has only one video input. So if you have a back camera, you'll have to buy a multimedia interface to bring two video sources (android+back camera). If you haven't a back camera, the interface is not necessary.
The NTG4.5 (facelift) has two video sources. So you can connect your android device on the second video input.

In W204 section, there's a very interesting thread that should interest you!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 AM

GLK
Originally Posted by b93140
Hi,

You can buy a little Android module that support AV output (not HDMI) and put it in the glovebox. If you purchase one with HDMI output, you'll have to buy also a HDMI2AV converter...

Then you connect your Android to your NTG with a kind of fakra cable.
You have to know which version of the NTG you have.
The NTG4 (before facelift) has only one video input. So if you have a back camera, you'll have to buy a multimedia interface to bring two video sources (android+back camera). If you haven't a back camera, the interface is not necessary.
The NTG4.5 (facelift) has two video sources. So you can connect your android device on the second video input.

In W204 section, there's a very interesting thread that should interest you!

Your reply is amazing! totally did my day! While in fact there is also some progress from my end.

Ok, just read everything.

How can I tell if my audio20 is NTG4.5? Its a 2014 model (the air condition vents are round. Exposing the Audio20 requires removal of an entire dashboard panel from right to steering wheel)...

As mentioned, I already have a rear camera attached (and since its audio20 I bet they put in a module to allow this).

Last edited by advocator; 02-17-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM

GLK
So, umm.. guys... Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5e-...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
Originally Posted by advocator
any more info on this?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 AM

GLK
Yes. Actually theres new info.

Once I managed to get the dealership to pull an RCA extension cord to the glove compartment (didn't want to play with it myself) - I attached an HDMI to RCA convertor to it. Then I attached a Chrome-Cast HDMI device and USB'ed it to a 5volts extension I've installed in the glove compartment (so it would have power).

Unfortunately, NFC still can't allow for automatic Screen Cast connections (you can open the menu though and manually choose the Chrome Cast device you see).

My NFC tag also automatically turns my phone horizontally and opens up Waze (or any other navigation software).

So other than just manually picking up the Screen Cast connection (and waiting for about 10s for it to connect) - everything else is pretty much automatic.

Whats cool about it is that the Bluetooth takes all the audio from the phone. Putting videos on youtube plays on the main screen. NOTE: Quality is very basic, as this is RCA connection (and not HDMI).

Hopefully someday car makers would make an original headunits with HDMI outputs

(BTW - still some issues with android 4.4 with chrome cast. I've done the same installation on my fathers nexus 5 and ML350. It works perfectly and he loves it - I still have issues with my Nexus 5 Cyanogen .. disconnections and stuff).