GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Secrets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Glk250 BlueTec
GLK Secrets

Just found out two features in my new GLK250 Bluetec.

1. If you open the door while the car is at a stop, the transmission shifts to park by itself.

2. If you are at a stop and press the brake pedal twice, the car goes into hold and you can take your foot off the brake.

These are just two additional ways that Mercedes goes the extra distance to keep us safe.
The following users liked this post:
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
Another Mercedes owner told me about the brake hold. I didn't know about going into park when you open the door. I have been worried that I would forget to put it in park so it is nice to know that.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
I like that if you are in cruise (Distronic) and you are going slower than the setting simply putting on the left turn signal starts the car accelerating.

My wife liked that if you put the car in reverse when it has rained that the rear wiper gives it one swipe on it's own...

Last edited by Cwdawson; 03-31-2014 at 08:12 AM.
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by Eyesncars
Just found out two features in my new GLK250 Bluetec.

1. If you open the door while the car is at a stop, the transmission shifts to park by itself.

2. If you are at a stop and press the brake pedal twice, the car goes into hold and you can take your foot off the brake.

These are just two additional ways that Mercedes goes the extra distance to keep us safe.

...& here I was thinking everyone Knows (#1 &2) ....std thing on most MBs - especially the newer 7 speed box. ..... also worked on my Triptronics Audi(s) :P:P

AND WHILE WE At it..............with other things like "tips/tricks" for GLK
..Press that little 'Little Sq button' on Door HANDLE to OPEN/CLOSE the DRIVER DOOR ONLY if u have PUSH START (think that button works also on non push button models also)

....maybe forum bosses can start a STICKY on this topic !
Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Say What? If I am going down the road having set cruise control but slow down to make a left turn, when I put on the left turn signal the car accelerates to the cruise setting? Of what were they thinking? If I am in a lane of traffic and want to switch to the left lane, the car accelerates when I put on the turn signal? Idiots! They all ready have cars that drive themselves, they are called TRAINS.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bop11
Say What? If I am going down the road having set cruise control but slow down to make a left turn, when I put on the left turn signal the car accelerates to the cruise setting? Of what were they thinking? If I am in a lane of traffic and want to switch to the left lane, the car accelerates when I put on the turn signal? Idiots! They all ready have cars that drive themselves, they are called TRAINS.
No, I don't think the car will speed up if you're slowing down to make a turn (cruise control disengages when you hit the brakes to slow down).

Also, I'm sure with the Distronic it won't speed up to the set speed unless there is nothing in front of you.
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 AM

Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
You would use cruise control and actually make a left turn without touching the brakes... You are far braver than I... I find it nice that if I am following traffic at a slower speed than the cruis is set putting on the signal starts the acceleration for passing...
Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 AM

350 GLK, C280
It was said "I like that if you are in cruise (Distronic) and you are going slower than the setting simply putting on the left turn signal starts the car accelerating." So you hit the brake, no one in front and turn on the left turn signal, the car tries to go back to the preset cruise?
From the Jaun Manuel Fangio school of the proper way to make a FAST left.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Not to be contrary, but none of these features appeal to me.

If I want the car to be in Park I will shift it into Park.

If I want the cruise control to resume I will hit Resume.

If I am at a stop and don't want the car to move I will either keep my foot on the brake or shift into Park (see 1st point).

I don't want my car to drive for me; if I don't want to drive I will call Uber.

I'd rather have another 20 or 30 hp (or an oil pressure gauge) than all this crap...

Last edited by rmfnla; 04-02-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
So you hit the brake, no one in front and turn on the left turn signal, the car tries to go back to the preset cruise?
Hit the brake, cruise control disengages.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:54 AM

Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
I guess this is all pretty complicated for some, the cruise control works just like every other one on the market. If you have distronic it works the same touch the brake it disengages press resume it engages, If following a vehicle with distronic on at a speed lower than the set point only then will the left turn signal allow the speed to come to the set point when the left indicator is engaged. As for the brakes they work just like everyone else's with the addition of some adaptive features, such as if wipers are engaged the brakes will dry themselves every once in a while. If you pull up to a stop brakes work just as all the other vehicles once you come to a stop just push the brake harder and hold engages. If stopped on a hill the brakes stay engages for a couple of seconds or until you touch the gas. The nice thing if you don't like them you don't have to use them they are all pretty well passive....
Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rmfnla
If I am at a stop and don't want the car to move I will either keep my foot on the brake or shift into Park (see 1st point).
Have you ever gone up a steep ramp, like in a parking garage where you had to stop because of a car in front and you have a car right behind you?

I have and if you let go of the break, the car starts to roll backwards. My Lexus and my GLK have the "double tap break" feature and it keeps your car from rolling backwards in the time it takes to lift the break and press the gass.

It's a good and useful feature, for me at least. The garage in my building has a very steep ramp and if I reach the garage door before it opens fully, my car rolls backwards when I let go of the break.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM

SLK 350 2013
Lightbulb

Hill start assist is standard so if the ramp is steep enough (usually is), the GLK won't roll backwards, even without the brake Hold function engaged.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM

350 GLK, C280
Only funin' wid ya! My chauffeurs, the grand-kids, even know how to use Facebook. Why, I don't know (third base). I'm still wondering who's on First? But it is good baseball season has started.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by kozak79
Have you ever gone up a steep ramp, like in a parking garage where you had to stop because of a car in front and you have a car right behind you?

I have and if you let go of the break, the car starts to roll backwards. My Lexus and my GLK have the "double tap break" feature and it keeps your car from rolling backwards in the time it takes to lift the break and press the gass.

It's a good and useful feature, for me at least. The garage in my building has a very steep ramp and if I reach the garage door before it opens fully, my car rolls backwards when I let go of the break.
Or you could hold the brake with your left foot and press the gas with your right...
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Or you could hold the brake with your left foot and press the gas with your right...
Or, you can double tap the break and not have to do that. Plus, you'd have to rev the engine for a split second while holding the break and if you don't time it right you'll lunge forward spilling your coffee.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kozak79
Or, you can double tap the break and not have to do that. Plus, you'd have to rev the engine for a split second while holding the break and if you don't time it right you'll lunge forward spilling your coffee.
If that's what you go through on a hill it's a good thing you have this feature...
Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GLK 350 4matic, 2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by Cwdawson
I like that if you are in cruise (Distronic) and you are going slower than the setting simply putting on the left turn signal starts the car accelerating.
And above all, don't overlook the 'R' position on the transmission selector. "R" of course, is for Race.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM

slk
More glk secrets please

Good to know these features while waiting for mine to arrive. Please share more secrets !
Old 07-04-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
I really dislike the feature that shifts to park when the door is open. Several times I have needed to slowly drive with the door slightly open, but can't do that. I wish it was a feature I could disable. Also, I have never driven ANY automatic car or truck that rolled backwards on a hill when letting off the break. They all creep forward naturally. The only time I have experienced this is in a manual car.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350, 300ce
I need to test the double tap feature. I was already aware of the Hill Start Assist. I have driven many automatics that roll backward when at a stop going up a hill without hill assist. On a few severe times when in very steep hills, I have had to use both feet because by the time you move from one pedal to the other, someone behind you would get hit. To roll forward up a hill automatically and no foot on any pedal would imply gas being given to compensate. That would not seem as efficient as Hill Start Assist mechanics.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM

slk
Originally Posted by sethro1980
I really dislike the feature that shifts to park when the door is open. Several times I have needed to slowly drive with the door slightly open, but can't do that. I wish it was a feature I could disable. Also, I have never driven ANY automatic car or truck that rolled backwards on a hill when letting off the break. They all creep forward naturally. The only time I have experienced this is in a manual car.
When I test drow I was on incline, car didn't rollback. Also it didn't creep forward.
I tried to activate the brake hold at stop light but was not successful. It is firm press on brake pedel right?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:50 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
I just played with this today on my way into work and I can confirm that at least in our GLK, the hill start assist really indeed only works on an incline.. didn't seem to get it to work on a flat surface.

My VW GTI also has this feature and I can usually get it to work on a flatter surface.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by koalatm
I just played with this today on my way into work and I can confirm that at least in our GLK, the hill start assist really indeed only works on an incline.. didn't seem to get it to work on a flat surface.

My VW GTI also has this feature and I can usually get it to work on a flatter surface.
How would you tell if it was working on a flat surface? I understand it would roll back on a hill, so that would be easy to tell .... But a flat surface? What does the VW do that's different on a flat surface....?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Originally Posted by Cwdawson
How would you tell if it was working on a flat surface? I understand it would roll back on a hill, so that would be easy to tell .... But a flat surface? What does the VW do that's different on a flat surface....?
I wanted to see if it disabled the "creep" feature on automatic vehicles, so that it wouldn't move forward if you're off the brakes on a flat surface - ie, like a manual vehicle.

My GTI is a dual clutch (DSG) gearbox, so it really is a manual, which might explain why I can get it to work on flat surfaces.

I'd be curious to try this in the new GLA since it's getting a dual clutch transmission.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK Secrets