GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

jumper cables

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
jumper cables

Does anyone recommend a certain set? I have a relatively cheap old set that worked well for my Subaru, but the clamps can't hold on to the little strip of copper under the sliding plastic panel. I helped someone jump their car the other day and had to stand there and hold the positive cable in place.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I would try different brands to see who has the smaller "nose". As an alternative, you could drill a hole in the copper plate and put in a 3/8 bolt with the threads pointing up to give you a place to clamp the jumper cables. Then I would re-design the secure cap to accomodate the bolt and put a plastic cap over the bolt sticking up to prevent inadvertent shorts.
I have found it difficult to clamp on the little plate too but I guess I have just enough to hold on.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I would strongly suggest you don't use your GLK for a jumper ---- easy to fry Keyless Go, easy to fry a Ky Fob -- easy with a misconnect to fry your control modules ---- has nothing to do with MB --- but with modern integrated electronics the risk is on you...

Keep the beat !
Old 05-17-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I would strongly suggest you don't use your GLK for a jumper ---- easy to fry Keyless Go, easy to fry a Ky Fob -- easy with a misconnect to fry your control modules ---- has nothing to do with MB --- but with modern integrated electronics the risk is on you...

Keep the beat !
This just isn't feasible for me. I will be moving to Colorado and don't plan to wait an hour in the winter for AAA or Mercedes or USAA to come save me. I don't see the risk if done properly, and I also can't imagine that everyone in a luxury German vehicle just waits in a parking lot for someone to tow them away over a dead battery. Surely there are folks in here who have used cables for years without incident who can recommend a set?
Old 05-17-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
I have always kept a set of cables in all my cars and have used them fairly often. (the wife leaves the interior lights on in her car and when I find out it's too late lol) I found a smaller nose with a relatively heavy gauge cable has worked best.For me a longer cable is best since we park nose in and the jumper has limited access.

It was easier with my older E since the terminals were in the trunk.

Last edited by LesF; 05-17-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LesF
I have always kept a set of cables in all my cars and have used them fairly often. (the wife leaves the interior lights on in her car and when I find out it's too late lol) I found a smaller nose with a relatively heavy gauge cable has worked best.For me a longer cable is best since we park nose in and the jumper has limited access.

It was easier with my older E since the terminals were in the trunk.
...ditto....I have used jumpers on MB for years and have never had, nor have heard of others, frying anything. Your manual shows where the jumper block is next to the battery (positive onto the red terminal...negative to a ground bolt.)......saying this, if you start hooking jumpers to opposite terminals on the other car...I won't guarantee anything. If you call AAA, they will just come with their charged jumper cable and hook it to the same terminal as described in manual.
re: cables....get heavy guage wire cables that will create little resistance. The cheapo ones are not worth the money.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I bought a set for my wife years ago that are 'idiot' proof! The set splits in half, then clamp on both sides(there are LED idiot lights on both connector half's). When both are lit up, plug the half's together. Heavy duty cables and clamps... about 16 feet long (total, 7' long each half).
here's a link to similar...
Amazon.com: Astro SP0616 Smart Plug 6 Gauge 16-Feet Booster Cables: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Astro SP0616 Smart Plug 6 Gauge 16-Feet Booster Cables: Home Improvement

here's another showing the led and quick connectors
http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/i-l...jumper-cables/

Last edited by Koenig1; 05-18-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I've never fried anything. Turn everything off and connect cables slowly double-checking polarity.
The idiot-proof cables are a good idea. Not because we don't know what we're doing - we do. Sometimes the wife might be out, run the battery down and have a good Samaritan offer to help and he might not be as smart or attentive as you. That's the potential idiot.