GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

What is the fastest way to navigate to my home?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2015 | 11:15 PM

2015 GLK250
What is the fastest way to navigate to my home?

I just picked up my GLK250 yesterday and can't figure out where to input my own home address for fast access. There is 'My address' tag but it seems there is no fast way to bring this up or to access by voice command. Is there any quick access button or simple voice command for my home address like 'Navigate to home'? Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 06-01-2015 | 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here - you can get to it with three commands / selections (the first one to put you in Nav mode if you're, say, in Audio, the second to select your places of interest or recent destinations, and the third the actual address or the my address entry).

If you actually meant that you want to be able to call it up in less than three commands, then I am afraid that you should immediately take the car back as you are indeed missing somethign - a significant portion of your brain - and should instead spend some time walking or biking until you become a tad more familiar with your own neighbourhood and you memorize a couple of landmarks here and there in the immediate vicinity so you can get home without navigational aids. I mean, you don't live near that little oasis in the Gobi desert and are surrounded by hundreds of miles of shifting sand dunes in every direction... do you?

Please tell me it's the first scenario and not the second... please?
Old 06-01-2015 | 01:19 PM

using navigation w/o voice..."Destination"... "from memory"...."home"

using voice ...press voice....select "find address" from screen menu...say which one you want (whatever you have named home address)

seems easy both ways
Old 06-01-2015 | 04:25 PM

2015 GLK250
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here - you can get to it with three commands / selections (the first one to put you in Nav mode if you're, say, in Audio, the second to select your places of interest or recent destinations, and the third the actual address or the my address entry).

If you actually meant that you want to be able to call it up in less than three commands, then I am afraid that you should immediately take the car back as you are indeed missing somethign - a significant portion of your brain - and should instead spend some time walking or biking until you become a tad more familiar with your own neighbourhood and you memorize a couple of landmarks here and there in the immediate vicinity so you can get home without navigational aids. I mean, you don't live near that little oasis in the Gobi desert and are surrounded by hundreds of miles of shifting sand dunes in every direction... do you?

Please tell me it's the first scenario and not the second... please?
You don't need to spend your time writing this kind of rude reply.
Old 06-01-2015 | 04:27 PM

2015 GLK250
Originally Posted by cindyclk
using navigation w/o voice..."Destination"... "from memory"...."home"

using voice ...press voice....select "find address" from screen menu...say which one you want (whatever you have named home address)

seems easy both ways
Thanks for the info, this is what I needed.
Old 06-01-2015 | 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by chrissk
You don't need to spend your time writing this kind of rude reply.
Rude? Let me tell what's rude: you wasting everyone's time here with the most idiotic query I have ever seen because you apparently can't be bothered to spend three minutes of your time to read the freakin' manual. That's what's rude.

Last edited by Diabolis; 06-01-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2015 | 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info, this is what I needed.
... which is exactly what I wrote in the first part of my post. It's still the same three commands, which apparently is too much work for you.
Old 06-01-2015 | 04:35 PM

2013 GLK350 4-Matic & 2003 E320
that's funny. where's the mbworld thumbs up button?! lol
Old 06-01-2015 | 05:05 PM

2015 GLK250
Originally Posted by Diabolis
... which is exactly what I wrote in the first part of my post. It's still the same three commands, which apparently is too much work for you.
I thanked the other person for not being sarcastic. I guess you don't get it. I will pass.
Old 06-01-2015 | 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I thanked the other person for not being sarcastic. I guess you don't get it. I will pass.
Oh, *I* get it all right. Kinda funny that you interpreted the same answer from two different people to mean two different things though, don't you think?

As I said earlier, if you were simply inquiring about the three commands, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt. If that procedure was too complicated for you (which after your subsequent posts I have no choice but to conclude that it was), then I have no reason to retract any of my previous statements or apologize, do I?
Old 06-03-2015 | 11:51 AM

2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
The procedures for getting your home address loaded up using Command is too tedious given the technology we have today. That is why I use my iPhone for most of my navigation needs today.
Old 06-03-2015 | 02:57 PM

2010 C63 AMG, 2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by RSNovi
The procedures for getting your home address loaded up using Command is too tedious given the technology we have today. That is why I use my iPhone for most of my navigation needs today.
^This +1

In my Lexus, it's as easy as hitting the voice-command button on the steering wheel, then saying, "Go home". No need to remember any other commands besides what you want to do.
Old 06-03-2015 | 07:19 PM

2015 GLK250
Originally Posted by TPete19
^This +1

In my Lexus, it's as easy as hitting the voice-command button on the steering wheel, then saying, "Go home". No need to remember any other commands besides what you want to do.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear from other GLK owners in case I missed something from the manual.
Old 06-03-2015 | 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
I think some people here are behind a bit in safety/security protocol - meaning the general security theme nowadays is NOT to label your home address as Home - but name it something else like "Smiths" - that way if someone takes your MB at a car wash - they don't drive straight to your house and take the reat !
Old 06-04-2015 | 09:26 AM

2015 GLK 250
I set up MY HOME address as the nearest intersection on all my gps's. If I should ever lose one it will only return to my neighbohood not my house. True a good samaratin wont be able to return it to me but thats my bad and his windfall. Its also a good excuse for me to buy a newer gps.
Old 06-04-2015 | 12:26 PM

2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
I put my home address in as a destination only, not as home. If I loan my car to my visitors they can find their way back. With the Mercedes smartphone app and Embrace you can see where your car is, remote lock or unlock, and set a perimeter for your car if violated will inform you to take action.

Oh, if the car is stolen(which is highly unlikely with the smart keys, and they get the gps info, the manned security gate where I live will stop anyone from entry without the proper IDs or gate codes.

Last edited by LesF; 06-04-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2015 | 09:18 PM

2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I did a "Save Location" a few doors up the block. I guess this protects against the really paranoid off chance someone steals the car and wants to "go for the gold".
Any address in "recent Locations" can be saved by highlighting it and selecting "Options". This gives you a chance to save it by name, address, or "My Location" or "home".

Yes, Lexus and other Japanese makes have better telematics, no question. The GLK is much more fun to drive. Unfortunately no one make has it all.
Old 06-06-2015 | 03:29 AM

yes
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
I did a "Save Location" a few doors up the block. I guess this protects against the really paranoid off chance someone steals the car and wants to "go for the gold".
Any address in "recent Locations" can be saved by highlighting it and selecting "Options". This gives you a chance to save it by name, address, or "My Location" or "home".

Yes, Lexus and other Japanese makes have better telematics, no question. The GLK is much more fun to drive. Unfortunately no one make has it all.
I set mine for somewhat more than a few doors up or down the street. If you have a garage door opener in the vehicle and it's still in communications distance they may just push the button to see which door opens. Might be better to set the address for more like half a mile away. If your GPS gets you to within half a mile of your house and you can't make it the rest of the way home on your own then you've got problems...

Of course if you've got any type of documentation in the car, which shows your home address, you've already given them a head start. My vehicle registration document shows a P.O. Box address so I'm okay, in that respect. Good to have an unlisted phone number too so they can't look up your address via your name.

Last edited by MBKLUE; 06-06-2015 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2015 | 03:35 AM

yes
Originally Posted by LesF
I put my home address in as a destination only, not as home. If I loan my car to my visitors they can find their way back. With the Mercedes smartphone app and Embrace you can see where your car is, remote lock or unlock, and set a perimeter for your car if violated will inform you to take action.

Oh, if the car is stolen(which is highly unlikely with the smart keys, and they get the gps info, the manned security gate where I live will stop anyone from entry without the proper IDs or gate codes.
Most people don't have manned security gates or any gate whatsoever.

I realize you mention Smart keys, and not KEYLESS-GO specifically, but this is particularly disturbing:

http://www.komando.com/happening-now...scary-new-tool

Last edited by MBKLUE; 06-06-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2015 | 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBKLUE
Most people don't have manned security gates or any gate whatsoever.

I realize you mention Smart keys, and not KEYLESS-GO specifically, but this is particularly disturbing:

http://www.komando.com/happening-now...scary-new-tool

Yup - recently happened to someone in the local Porsche club. Gone in (under) 60 seconds... literally.