Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glk350
GLK350 - 2010

Hello

New to this forum and I have a question,

I purchased the GLK from a friend a 2010 model recently and out of the blue, there is this "device unavailable" message appeared:

The message will appears at 30 seconds interval followed by a beeping sound

I searched this forum pertaining to "device unavailable" and there were a few hits for other models and sedans but not for GLK,
my radio and phone are working but not the CD, I used one of the recovery posts, like pressing the Eject button and cycling through all the 6 Cds slots to no avail.

I sent it to the dealer and they said the CD changer is not working and the only fix is to replaced it.

Will replacing it with an after market CD Changer resolve the "device unavailable" message?

Just trying to get some info to weigh my option, any owner experienced this?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by Damameke
Hello

New to this forum and I have a question,

I purchased the GLK from a friend a 2010 model recently and out of the blue, there is this "device unavailable" message appeared:

The message will appears at 30 seconds interval followed by a beeping sound

I searched this forum pertaining to "device unavailable" and there were a few hits for other models and sedans but not for GLK,
my radio and phone are working but not the CD, I used one of the recovery posts, like pressing the Eject button and cycling through all the 6 Cds slots to no avail.

I sent it to the dealer and they said the CD changer is not working and the only fix is to replaced it.

Will replacing it with an after market CD Changer resolve the "device unavailable" message?

Just trying to get some info to weigh my option, any owner experienced this?

Thanks in advance
You can replace the CD player unit with aftermarket, but you need to code the car through Vagcom. But there might not be many aftermarket cd changers that would fit...

I would search for totaled GLKs and buy one that way so you don't need to code anything.

Did the dealer say that the problem is the CD changer/player? Is the car looking for your phone? Does the car have Bluetooth phone connection? Sometimes that might be the issue. Try repairing your phone.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 PM

Glk350
Originally Posted by Inyoury
You can replace the CD player unit with aftermarket, but you need to code the car through Vagcom. But there might not be many aftermarket cd changers that would fit...

I would search for totaled GLKs and buy one that way so you don't need to code anything.

Did the dealer say that the problem is the CD changer/player? Is the car looking for your phone? Does the car have Bluetooth phone connection? Sometimes that might be the issue. Try repairing your phone.
Thanks,Inyoury for your reply

The radio is working n it has Bluetooth connection, it paired to the phone
, it was looking for the CD, I dont use the CD and the dealer wouldn't disconnect the unit so it will not have the beeping sound

U mean, try pairing the phone again?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by Damameke
Thanks,Inyoury for your reply

The radio is working n it has Bluetooth connection, it paired to the phone
, it was looking for the CD, I dont use the CD and the dealer wouldn't disconnect the unit so it will not have the beeping sound

U mean, try pairing the phone again?
Yes, sorry auto correct on this phone. Try pairing the phone. But if you think it is the CD player. Then try to look for a used one from a "totaled" GLK.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
My 2010 has the CD in the radio itself. Is a separate CD unit the way they did the non-Navigation units? Try looking in the C class forum for answer.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:37 PM

Glk350
Originally Posted by bop11
My 2010 has the CD in the radio itself. Is a separate CD unit the way they did the non-Navigation units? Try looking in the C class forum for answer.
Thanks for your input,I did check the C class for info but most were complete no
radio n they pulled the cables from the control unit behind the back seat or something

I found 2 radio for 2010 GLK350 from eBay, how do I find out if my
unit is a Harmon Kardon or not

Thanks
Old 09-17-2015, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Just a quick thing to check - do a "system reset" in the unit settings - which may/or may not bring you back - you will need to re=pair your phone and reset your radio presets...

Then go thru the post - and try eject/insert a CD
Old 09-17-2015, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Used unit ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Mercedes-C-Class-Radio-Receiver-OEM-LKQ-/361387131587?hash=item54245a02c3&vxp=mtr
Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 AM

Glk350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Is that that C class radio, same as GLk350?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2015, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
You have to "pull" your existing unit and read the model/ID label on the top to source the exact match.. the eBay post is a example, and you need your model/ID# to find a exact match replacement - they do come up !
Old 12-14-2015, 11:06 AM

Glk350
Update: Totally forget this post after I had this issue resolved about a month ago.

"I purchased the GLK from a friend a 2010 model recently and out of the blue, there is this "device unavailable" message appeared:

The message will appears at 30 seconds interval followed by a beeping sound "

When I had this issue, the Cd changer was not showing any disc in the 6 slots, I had
the entertainment unit scanned and it showed no error message or codes but after doing that it did show 2 disc in DR1 and DR2, pressing eject was not successful.

I kept on pressing the eject button and banged on the side of the unit and the device unavailable and the beeping sound went away; strange freaking issue, as I dont use the CD player, I didnt check it further; it saved me a bundle for the dealer wanted $3300 to replace the unit.