Upgrading headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
Upgrading headlights

2013 glk 350 with standard headlights. Is there any simple way to upgrade the light output of the headlights and the led daytime running light. (I need more light) I don't have the type with the round bulb housing inside the main light , I was told an HID upgrade would blind people, but are there any bulbs that put out maybe 25% more light, that last? Is there any upgrade for the led light bar? Or instead I'm thinking of just putting on a few SAE compliant Led fog lights under the lisence plate area.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
DTR lights are exactly what they say they are DAYTIME. They don't play into any night time usability. As far as the headlights are concerned Sylvania makes replacement bulbs that may be a different temperature which would give you more light. Your owners manual may tell you the temperature of your current bulbs. The highest you will want to go is 5000K after which the lights starts to look blue. If the headlights are aimed properly you won't "blind" oncoming traffic. To change to HID's or Bi-Xenon is more trouble than it is worth. Resistance and re-programming may be required.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
I used the sylvania xtra bright for years and every year they blew out, it's not worth it loosing a headlight. I thought maybe there was an led replacement somebody might have liked. My best option is probably an additional set of fog lights
Old 12-21-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by Mmr1
I used the sylvania xtra bright for years and every year they blew out, it's not worth it loosing a headlight. I thought maybe there was an led replacement somebody might have liked. My best option is probably an additional set of fog lights
Additional set of fog lights? I'm not sure I've seen front fog lights on the newer version of the GLK. I got the Premium lighting but no front fog lights even though the owner's manual mentions them as an option and shows the switch to turn them on (a switch my 2014 GLK does not have). I do have the rear fog light along with, of course, the switch to turn it on. Not sure if that was an option (part of the lighting package) or if it was standard for the U.S. market.

Last edited by MBKLUE; 12-21-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:57 AM

yes
2013 glk 350 with standard headlights. Is there any simple way to upgrade the light output of the headlights and the led daytime running light. (I need more light) I don't have the type with the round bulb housing inside the main light , I was told an HID upgrade would blind people, but are there any bulbs that put out maybe 25% more light, that last? Is there any upgrade for the led light bar? Or instead I'm thinking of just putting on a few SAE compliant Led fog lights under the lisence plate area.
If there were an easy way Mercedes probably wouldn't be selling an upgraded lighting package for an extra one or two thousand dollars.

The LED light bar is there for you to be seen by OTHER drivers. Not really for you to see the road better. I seem to recall reading that there was even some concern that they may be too bright from the factory from a legal point of view in some country/countries. Do they even stay lit at night when you turn the headlights on? I think they turn off - but not sure. I've seen other GLKs coming towards me during the day and those LED light bars look pretty bright to me.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
The light bar is a diffused forward facing light , it does nothing to illuminate the road. I need something to illuminate the road for the winter pot holes that are coming. The other night I was out in the rain and could see nothing close. I think a good pair of led fog lights are in order. I was hoping for a direct swap out to a better light, not mounting and wiring new lights. The real issue is mounting to a strong location that isn't plastic, doesn't flex and have the light bouncing up and down while you drive,
Old 12-21-2015, 08:15 AM

yes
The light bar is a diffused forward facing light , it does nothing to illuminate the road. I need something to illuminate the road for the winter pot holes that are coming. The other night I was out in the rain and could see nothing close. I think a good pair of led fog lights are in order. I was hoping for a direct swap out to a better light, not mounting and wiring new lights. The real issue is mounting to a strong location that isn't plastic, doesn't flex and have the light bouncing up and down while you drive,
"Thanks." MKenM and I already know what the LED bar does (and doesn't do).

Besides that, I understand your problem. I've never seen any type of direct replacement and if there were, I've never seen factory fog lights without adjustable alignment to get them pointed where they really need to be. Can't imagine it would be easy to create a useful alignment mechanism on a thin bar like that.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 AM

yes
A bulb filament designed to burn brighter at the same voltage, with all other factors being the same, is going to burn out sooner. A bulb filament being operated at a voltage lower than intended will last a long, long, long time but will also put out significantly less light. Everything is a compromise.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
I will never buy another sylvania "bright" bulb. I put a set in another car and both bulbs burned out within a week.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:00 AM

yes
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
I will never buy another sylvania "bright" bulb. I put a set in another car and both bulbs burned out within a week.
You wrote earlier that you used them for years and that they lasted about a year. You could have gotten a bad batch. Since it was a different vehicle, the voltage regulator may have been putting out too high a voltage or maybe even the vehicle had a really heavy hood. Allowing a heavy hood to drop from a "good distance up," like many people do, can break bulb filaments. Better to lower the hood gently and then press it down to fully latch.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
You wrote earlier that you used them for years and that they lasted about a year. .
Nope. Not me.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
I wrote that I've used silver stars for years and they last about a year. I handled them with the surgical gloves as to not get oil on them, and over the course of maybe 3 years I'd say between fog and regular lights I went through 3-4 sets of silver stars. I quit using them, their extra output is from thinner metal that burns hotter, and burns out quicker. Lights need to be reliable long term.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 AM

yes
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
Nope. Not me.
Oops....
Old 12-21-2015, 11:43 AM

yes
I wrote that I've used silver stars for years and they last about a year. I handled them with the surgical gloves as to not get oil on them, and over the course of maybe 3 years I'd say between fog and regular lights I went through 3-4 sets of silver stars. I quit using them, their extra output is from thinner metal that burns hotter, and burns out quicker. Lights need to be reliable long term.
As I said, everything is a compromise. If you reduce the voltage to your headlights to 11.0 volts they'll probably outlast the vehicle. It seems you were looking for an improvement with no downsides. It wasn't there.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
I wonder if any new LEDs are worth it for the main lights.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:49 PM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
There are a few issues to contend with after you have found a LED that has a suitable base that works with the existing wiring then you have to make sure that the temperature creates a white not bluish tint, the light dispersion does not blind oncoming traffic (the current optics are optimized for standard incandescent), make sure that the car does not throw error codes which I'm sure it will.

Bi-Xenon has bee an option for years you could look into them. They are on mine and they are great.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
But I don't have the round lenses inside the main housing, an installer recommended by my MB dealership said I will blind oncoming traffic with my headlight configuration. I'm sure a factory set up at this point would cost 3-5000? That's to much.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:24 PM

I think you have a problem that is not resolvable without a large expenditure. If you were happy with the output of the Sylvania bulbs you should use their Ultras. The funny thing is they expect their bulbs to last multiple years. Here is their quote.

"Lights, no matter the time of year, dim over time. To maximize visibility, it is important to replace headlights every few years, even before burnout. However, it is common for most people to wait until one burns out and replace it. At this point, it is very important to replace both bulbs at the same time. If one headlight is new and one old, there will be an uneven field of vision on the road, which can be a distraction to the driver and other drivers on the road. That’s why it’s important to always replace headlights in pairs."

If you have to replace them every year I think you have a voltage problem that you should look into otherwise I would call Sylvania and let them know about your situation.