GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Coming from a BMW, a few gripes on the Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250
Coming from a BMW, a few gripes on the Mercedes

Just bought a used 2013 GLK250 with 59,000km on it. I'm used to driving a 2011 BMW 323i. I'm a bit disappointed that the Mercedes is not impressing me the way I thought it was going to.

1) In the MB, with climate control on 'auto' you can't control the fan speed. In the BMW, with climate on auto, you can still select how hard the fan blows.
2) In the MB, there isn't a little clip on the seat belt that holds the seatbelt clip in place. In the BMW, that little clip helps keep the seat belt clip from sliding all the way to where the seatbelt starts.
3) On the onboard maintenance minder on the MB is a 'dumb' system that reminds you of service needs based strictly on set kms and time. On the BMW, each service is condition based so it varies based on driving conditions.
4) The steering wheel on the MB lacks an "on centre" feel.
5) No "no-charge" scheduled maintenance in the MB. So when buying a used MB, it's harder to verify service records.
6) As far as I can tell, there is no speed sensitive volume feature in the MB.
7) Corrosion perforation warranty is only 5 years vs 12 years on the BMW.

I purchased the GLK250 because it's great on fuel and more practical. But I guess I expected more because it's a Mercedes.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2013 GLK 350 4 matic
Originally Posted by thik
Just bought a used 2013 GLK250 with 59,000km on it. I'm used to driving a 2011 BMW 323i. I'm a bit disappointed that the Mercedes is not impressing me the way I thought it was going to.

1) In the MB, with climate control on 'auto' you can't control the fan speed. In the BMW, with climate on auto, you can still select how hard the fan blows.

Hence the meaning of Auto
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill F:
bflaman (09-15-2016), Zavato (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250
I just picked up a 2013 GLK250 last Thursday. Mine has the speed sensitive volume. I don't mind the Auto climate control, but I would have liked a 'Sync' that connected the temps on both sides.

I came from a 3500 Ram Diesel, so this is quite the change for me. I'm sure I'll find a few things I'd like to change as time goes by, but it will be a big improvement for road trips!
Old 07-04-2016, 02:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Magic Toaster Oven
Originally Posted by travelingj
I just picked up a 2013 GLK250 last Thursday. Mine has the speed sensitive volume. I don't mind the Auto climate control, but I would have liked a 'Sync' that connected the temps on both sides.

I came from a 3500 Ram Diesel, so this is quite the change for me. I'm sure I'll find a few things I'd like to change as time goes by, but it will be a big improvement for road trips!
Maybe you don't have it, but the feature is called Mono.
It syncs the driver side temperature with the passenger side.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250
Nope, I have MAX AC at that location ) = Oh well, I had to adjust them both on the Ram, so at least it's not a step back. This is my first venture out of the 'truck world'. I actually like the whole 10k service setup, I just know that twice a year I need to get it in to be looked at. The Dodge gave me a 'service needed' every 67.5k, just to make sure I changed out one filter.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Interesting set of complaints, I appreciate you taking your time to point them out. I have some comments.

The fan speed is what Mercedes uses to automatically control the temperature. I'm guessing BMW must do it a different way. My wife and I always disagree on setting Auto, she likes to control fan speed, so she just sets it with the two buttons with the fan icons. I like the auto setting so that when I get in on a hot day the fan automatically goes to max.

2) In the MB, there isn't a little clip on the seat belt that holds the seatbelt clip in place. In the BMW, that little clip helps keep the seat belt clip from sliding all the way to where the seatbelt starts.

I actually never noticed this and it's never bothered me.

3) On the onboard maintenance minder on the MB is a 'dumb' system that reminds you of service needs based strictly on set kms and time. On the BMW, each service is condition based so it varies based on driving conditions.

I'm a little old fashioned and I have never trusted the algorithms that determine oil life. My Vette had the algorithm and it always worked out to around 7000 miles between oil changes. Personally I just like the nice even 10,000 miles between changes, makes it very easy for me to remember.

4) The steering wheel on the MB lacks an "on centre" feel.

I agree with this one, but I have to admit I've gotten used to it. Mind you, comparing a Mercedes SUV to 323i is pretty much apples to oranges.

5) No "no-charge" scheduled maintenance in the MB. So when buying a used MB, it's harder to verify service records.

I couldn't agree more with you on this one. I have a 2011 C63 that I bought used and my wife has a 2015 GLK350 that we bought used and neither had maintenance records. Both cars had pretty low mileage, so it didn't bother me too much, but it was a little disconcerting. One thing you can do is go to your local MB dealer and see if there is anything in the records on the car you just bought.

6) As far as I can tell, there is no speed sensitive volume feature in the MB.

I know my C63 has this feature, but I'm not sure about my wife's GLK. It may be the difference between the base radio and the upgraded one. Anyway, here's a thread that talks about how to set it. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-settings.html

7) Corrosion perforation warranty is only 5 years vs 12 years on the BMW.

I live in Arizona so this has never entered my mind. But I'm betting both the Mercedes and BMW use corrosion resistant steels in their bodies and have the same amount of protection. However, you make an excellent point, BMW will stand behind their product better than Mercedes. And this is probably my biggest pet peeve about Mercedes, I think they do NOT stand behind their product, especially considering the premium we pay for these cars. I got really lucky on my C63, it has the new head bolts, but everyone with a 2010 and older C63 have badly designed head bolts that are popping and creating a huge repair bill for them and Mercedes does nothing. Any Japanese car company would have recalled them and replaced the badly designed bolts. Mercedes basically admitted their wrong doing when they redesigned the bolts in early 2011, but they will not correct their mistake with thousands of poor owners that bought their cars before the bolts were fixed. Pitiful. However, I choose to still drive Mercedes because they are great cars. (Sorry for the rant!)
Old 07-04-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by glennhl
Interesting set of complaints, I appreciate you taking your time to point them out. I have some comments.

I couldn't agree more with you on this one. I have a 2011 C63 that I bought used and my wife has a 2015 GLK350 that we bought used and neither had maintenance records. Both cars had pretty low mileage, so it didn't bother me too much, but it was a little disconcerting. One thing you can do is go to your local MB dealer and see if there is anything in the records on the car you just bought.
If it was serviced by a MB dealership anywhere in US, all service records will be in the computer
Old 07-04-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
No such thing as no charge maintenance. Ever. On BMW, it's built into the price.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
Coming from driving a 2013 750xli individual and 2014 x5
1 . Set the temp, then set your fan speed. I don't see the big deal, MB also has an auto setting that's Auto
2 Dam, I always had problems to clip my seatbelt in a BMW !!! , they recess them things so far away it takes a monkey to find it, and the rear seats with kid seats, a dam nightmare to plug unplug .
3 i got all my printed records from MB buying the 2013 used ! It's called smart shopping.
4 I think that's bs talkin. BMW X5 is to light for my feeling. It's electric so all models will vary I know.
5 Again BS, records are on file, I got them printed, and oh yes, my used 2013 still has free maintenance on the deal I got.
6 not only is MB speed sensitive volume, but bass control is variable in MB.
All in all your complaints are lacking.
7 ride quality is superior in MB
8 I get a spare tire! And not rough riding run flats
9 I get better mileage
10 Bmw interior style is lacking , it's behind MB, the dash is very dated with horizontal vents. And no big refresh.
11 I looked at an x3, nice beige leather interior, then they put this big ugly black dashboard in there. That ruined the look for me and the sale.