GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Front Power train issue....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Front Power train issue....

Hi everyone, I'm new today ( long time Benz owner) new to the family in sept is a 2010 GLK 350, we love the car as usual, but last evening I discovered a problem....I need some insight as to how to forward with this....for starters, this GLK is the smoothest, quietest Benz we've ever had and drives like a dream.
Anyway, on a 15o mile trip across the state in a snow storm last night the car started to make noise (thought it was tire wear at first) but they are new....this noise seemed to get worse as the trip came to a close (right front pass side) I stopped 40 miles from home, removed snow from the well and didn't seem to help....we got home, parked in the garage and thought I'll check in the morning. So did, all snow packed in the wells was melted, took it for a drive...seems as though there's also a ticking noise with it....as it moves faster it increased. This car was was absolutely silent earlier in the day as usual, so the tires are not the issue....my question is this...could it be cv joint? The differential, bearing or a combo of all? Transmission sounds and performs fine! Any body out there with this similar problem? Any thought? I'd really appreciate any thing!!! And what's MB warranty on power train?
Old 12-12-2016, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Could be anything you suggest, have to get the car properly inspected. Could be a wheel bearing, they are often similar in sound to a poorly worn tire. But clicking doesn't usually apply. Could be something more severe, like a problem in the front differential. That could get expensive if it's the case.

Powertrain warranty is same as normal, 4/50k. So unless you have some sort of additional warranty, you have been out for 2 years already.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:19 AM

GLK 350
That's sort of what I was thinking, seems a car with 41k wouldn't be have a differential issue though, thank you!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Has the noise changed from the night before to the next day? Does it change when you make turns?

Just to eliminate simple things, it's not a nail or rock in the tire making clicking noise is it? That happened to me a few times. And clicking gets quicker as you drive faster, obviously.

Next thing I would make sure lug nuts are tight.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 PM

GLK 350
The noise (bald tire hum) has progressively gotten worse....the tick sound is basically the same.
Today I had it in to the shop that I send my Volvo and Toyota to, they looked it over for two hours, pulled the right front tire (bearing is fine), then put it in gear and run it and used a stethoscope and listened to the differential and discovered the tick sound. He noticed the bearing on differential to drive shaft was bad immediately....and said, "it's time to get it to Mercedes, because this is gonna be expensive!" So.....how much is this gonna cost me? We've put 3500 miles on it since we bought it 3 months ago (current miles 41k)....now what?
Old 12-12-2016, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Oh that sucks! Is he talking about front diff or the transfer case? If transfer case, then usually the whole tranny is replaced and it's an issue that happens from time to time at lower miles. Most happen in warranty period. I would go to dealer and see if they would play nice even though you are out of warranty period. Things like this should not go bad in 40k miles.

If it's front diff then maybe it's possible to find a used or remanufactured unit.

Another way is to trade it in. Unfortunately, non of this will be cheap.

You should look for an indy that knows benzes. GLK and especially the 4matic system is pretty old and should be well known to good Mercedes mechanics.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.