GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Warped Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by gpcruiser
Interested to see the longevity on these. Just got this car and I feel that the braking is it's weak point thus far. Pulled up service from previous owner and it looks like a brake job (all 4 ends) was done last year. Already feeling a pulse at 30+ MPH
Honestly I think the braking is very good, it just could not handle the power and weight of the GLK. The Brakes should have been bigger with larger calipers from the factory. But as it is, it stops very well, just undersized and not good enough disks. If you're aggressive with it like some of us are, it's really easy to warp the front rotors, which is what some of us did. The Brembo and new pads seem to do the trick.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by Mazspeed
Honestly I think the braking is very good, it just could not handle the power and weight of the GLK. The Brakes should have been bigger with larger calipers from the factory. But as it is, it stops very well, just undersized and not good enough disks. If you're aggressive with it like some of us are, it's really easy to warp the front rotors, which is what some of us did. The Brembo and new pads seem to do the trick.
Doesn't that translate to "the factory brakes are not adequate"?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by gpcruiser
Doesn't that translate to "the factory brakes are not adequate"?
The power is good I should say. The disks and pads are another story.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
So just as an update, I dig some digging around on the vane orientation and have discovered Brembo does not make it directional. You can see from the dimensional drawing that there are 34 fins that rotate along clockwise. There is not a reverse or mirror part number.
The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (04-09-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic
I bought a CPO 2015 350 and noticed when applying the brakes at speeds of 50-60 mph on the internet the pedal vibrates until the speed comes down to 40 mph or less. Does this sound like slightly warped rotors? The front had rotors and pads replaced and have about 8k miles on them. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
So just as an update, I dig some digging around on the vane orientation and have discovered Brembo does not make it directional. You can see from the dimensional drawing that there are 34 fins that rotate along clockwise. There is not a reverse or mirror part number.
Do you think any Indy shops would have any issues or objections installing these brakes because of the direction issue? There was nothing 'special' or difficult in installing them?
Thanks for the recommendation..
Old 06-03-2018, 06:41 PM

2013 GLK350
there would be no issues. It is a functional feature on sports cars and track cars, but on our GLK the vanes don't cool enough to offer any additional performance.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 PM

2020 GLC 300 4Matic
Hi guys. What magical words are you telling the dealer to have the rotors replaced under warranty? I bought a CPO with 18k and part of the cert process they put new brakes on the front. Shouldn't this be covered under some sort of warranty, whether it be a new parts warranty, CPO and heck I'm still a year or 25k away from running out of original factory? I didn't even make it to the first oil change before rotors are messed up and 1500 of the miles was the car driving from Michigan to Florida so that rotors literally have 6k on them since December. I'd expect at least a year coverage on parts. Let me know what you think?
Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 PM

2013 GLK350
Originally Posted by Mercedes-Benz Dealers
Covers many elements (excluding normal wear of discs and pads), including the Antilock Braking System.
You should take it to a brake shop and get it check out. Sometimes problems can arise from improper installation, manufacturing defects, environmental damage (corrosion), etc. It is hard to pinpoint your problem without pictures or actually testing the system. The dealer is going to tooth and nail with you about brakes warranty. If they do replace them and the problem arises you will have to get new hardware anyways.

You also have not described what is messed up on the rotor disc; are there grooves?
Old 06-07-2018, 07:52 PM

2020 GLC 300 4Matic
Sorry about that. Yeah, There are grooves around the rotors. The dealer said today that they were able to see there is an issue with the rotors being warped and replacement would be required to remedy the issue. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the initial response of it not being covered due to being a wear and tear item. I totally understand that element and having worked with batteries in IT the concept of consumable makes 100%, but when there is a premature failure or defect then that is a different story. Maybe I am thinking about this wrong, but it doesnt sit well that after 6 months and 6k miles the vibration is noticeable. Maybe I am too demanding and thinking I should at least get 50% wear before running into any issues. It might be that the service advisor didnt realize the situation that the brakes were recently serviced and replaced, so sitting down and looking up the history might be worth it too.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:53 PM

2020 GLC 300 4Matic
Sorry about that. Yeah, There are grooves around the rotors. The dealer said today that they were able to see there is an issue with the rotors being warped and replacement would be required to remedy the issue. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the initial response of it not being covered due to being a wear and tear item. I totally understand that element and having worked with batteries in IT the concept of consumable makes 100%, but when there is a premature failure or defect then that is a different story. Maybe I am thinking about this wrong, but it doesnt sit well that after 6 months and 6k miles the vibration is noticeable. Maybe I am too demanding and thinking I should at least get 50% wear before running into any issues. It might be that the service advisor didnt realize the situation that the brakes were recently serviced and replaced, so sitting down and looking up the history might be worth it too.

I can agree that warping would be normal wear and tear, but to me the premature timing makes that a moot point.

Am I wrong?

I also dont have any pictures as the car is in the shop currently.

Day 2 updated:

Called the purchasing dealer and asked them about coverage and they will cover the rotors as long as they are not rusted together from sitting for months on end. Went and talked to the dealer I am at right now and they have backtracked now after I asked about the two years parts warranty and telling me they will try and get it covered and will need to measure the rotor thickness to try and pass through as a warranty claim. They said normally the only time rotors are covered is within a month or so if something isnt right, which is weird because on a previous car that was new they wouldnt even take a look on a brake and suspension issue since there wasnt a few thousand miles on the car for break-in period. Seems they are trying to underpromise and overdeliver since they have been called out in order to give me a good feeling when the survey comes in. I noticed on the service invoice they noted there was corrosion in order to try and avoid covering, which I dont understand why they wouldnt try and be on the customer side, since they still get paid on valid warranty claims.

Last edited by GLK63AMG; 06-08-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 250 Bluetec
And to scare you all.... my brakes are juddering. Again.
My fronts were replaced under 20k, rears maybe 10k later.
All were warped. So car shaked and vibrated under heavy braking from highway speeds.
And sadly it is happening again. I think I am still under 50k....
Will go and ask from dealer their opinion first.

Most likely will go for Brembos now. Is the brembo part number same for 350 & 250 BT ?

And I/we do not race the vehicle, more the opposite. Really gently driven all the time.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Yeah sure, all 08–15 "X204", uses the same F/R brake Rotors & pads..

-;ZAYED;-
Old 07-03-2018, 09:14 PM

glk
Originally Posted by eki912
And to scare you all.... my brakes are juddering. Again.
My fronts were replaced under 20k, rears maybe 10k later.
All were warped. So car shaked and vibrated under heavy braking from highway speeds.
And sadly it is happening again. I think I am still under 50k....
Will go and ask from dealer their opinion first.

Most likely will go for Brembos now. Is the brembo part number same for 350 & 250 BT ?

And I/we do not race the vehicle, more the opposite. Really gently driven all the time.
eki912,

Its not clear from your post... you still on the stock brakes and rotors and wheels?
Old 07-04-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 250 Bluetec
Sorry, yes the stock ones. I would imagine...
I don’t think they would fit anything else at MB Manhattan.
Both ends were done there. Fronts first and rear ones a bit later.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agree with you, those Rotors are quickly fade up..,,

prefer if you can go with drilled Rotors, at least, Fronts only..

-;ZAYED;-
Old 07-05-2018, 07:13 PM

glk
Originally Posted by eki912
Sorry, yes the stock ones. I would imagine...
I don’t think they would fit anything else at MB Manhattan.
Both ends were done there. Fronts first and rear ones a bit later.
do you have any indie shop recommendations to install the brembos? There is a place called g&t autos in jersey city that has great reviews i might try. Tempted to order from Amazon and have them install... so far no one has complained about the brembos + akebonos
Old 07-08-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Meant to post here as well. Rotors do warp.
I had first set of the original rotors last over 60k miles....grooved to crap.
Replaced with all MB genuine stuff. 20k miles later developed vibration under braking. I read a post that warped rotors is a myth and that vibrations are often caused by pad deposits. Took the car on empty highway and did some braking to heat up pads/rotors and hopefully get rid of stuff. Well...it got worse.
A wt slow speed with light brake you can tell brakes are grabbing a bit on and off
Took wheels off, checked bushing and suspension all looked good.
When I span the rotor it goes easy then hard, easy then hard. Took closer look and I could see the gap between rotor and pad appearing and disappearing as I rotated the rotor.
Went on FCP Euro, ordered are pair of Zimmerans this time for 70 buck each, put them on (about an hour job) and all good.
Zimmermans were not directional although vanes are angled, but MB rotors were the same thing, vanes imply that rotors are directional but they were identical.
The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (07-19-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 PM

glk
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
5 months still working great. Amazon was the source of my parts. The Akebono pads were made in USA whereas my Brembo Rotors were made in Poland and China. Another forum member asked my about part numbers so I'll put em in here as well.

The only thing I noticed is that the direction of the cooling vanes on my front rotors are the same for both rotors; which equates to one side in the correction direction and one side not. This is really a non-issue because the vast majority of car owners never put the brake system to its maximum failure point. I wonder if maybe i ordered two left sides instead of right/left???

Brembo Rotors are:
-09.9825.21 (FRONT GREY UV COATED)
-09.A358.11 (REAR GREY UV COATED W INTEGRATED DRUM)

Akebono:
-Akebono EUR1406 (Ceramic front pad kit)
-Akebono EUR1341A (Ceramic rear pad kit)
This is probably a stupid question, If I want to replace all rotors and brake pads then I need to order 2 of each item listed. If i order one of each, the total is $300. but Mazspeed spent $600. Each photo shows a pair so its confusing to me

Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 01:13 AM

2013 GLK350
here is the break down of my order

$83.97 front rotor
$83.97 front rotor

$55.27 rear rotor
$55.27 rear rotor

$77.95 front pad set
$65.95 rear pad set
Old 07-18-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
DOn't forget some anti squeal lube and pad glue
Old 07-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by cm60k
Agree with you, those Rotors are quickly fade up..,,

prefer if you can go with drilled Rotors, at least, Fronts only..

-;ZAYED;-
Drilled rotors don't really help with heat. In fact on race cars vary rarely do you use a drilled rotor. Drilled rotors leads to cracked rotors. Slotted rotors are all you need along with a good alloy compound. The GLK does have issues with warped rotors and the Brembo replacements have been awesome. The recommendation by Johnny C was spot on. I have driven it a bit harder and have had zero warping issues. But also here is a trick to help not warp rotors.
When your rotors are hot after spiriting driving, when you have to make that stop when they are hot, don't pad the brake to make the car stay stopped on Mercedes brake stop system. When you keep your foot or the auto brake on at a stop light after a hard drive, it can warp the rotor. Stop the car, then put the transmission in Neutral. The reason why is when the rotor gets hot, the metal material changes and can be shaped. The rotor is not perfectly center on the caliper (for a reason) and when you stop on the brakes after some fast driving and you keep your foot or auto brake on at a stop light for more than a handful of seconds, as the rotor cools down a bit it will slightly bend due to the force of the auto stop and or foot on the brake. You can either put the car in neutral after it's 100 percent stopped and take your foot of the brake, or leave a bunch of space between the car in front of you and lightly inch the car forward during the stop as to not keep the brake pad on that same hotspot for more than a few seconds. If you lightly roll forward or put it in neutral, you won't get any warping of the rotor from the pad hot spotting the rotor in 1 place.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
i dont think the 722.9 transmission are designed to use like that. Cant remember where i read it, they don't recommend put in N during the drive. I use stoptech rotors, and they seems hold up pretty good. I still running my original rear break, and changed the front breaks(pads and rotors) at 80k km. My glk now is at 130k km, i think the rear break can probably last till 160k km before the break service light kicks in.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
i dont think the 722.9 transmission are designed to use like that. Cant remember where i read it, they don't recommend put in N during the drive.
So you're telling me that the transmission is not designed to go into neutral? LOL
Old 07-19-2018, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mazspeed
Drilled rotors don't really help with heat. In fact on race cars vary rarely do you use a drilled rotor. Drilled rotors leads to cracked rotors. Slotted rotors are all you need along with a good alloy compound. The GLK does have issues with warped rotors and the Brembo replacements have been awesome. The recommendation by Johnny C was spot on.
I don't think so bro..!,

why Brembo provides drilled Rotors on almost all performance AMG models comes with drilled Rotors..?!?,,

drilled holes give the water & hot air a place to escape, that will increasing the time it takes to stop in wet conditions,

and these holes ensure greater grip with more responsive and efficient performance of the braking system,,

also, build-up of ferrous material, which is deposited on brake pad's friction material, these holes will freeing it form materials that can dampen the brake response..

http://www.brembo.com/en/company/new...for-purchasing

-;ZAYED;-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warped Front Rotors