ABS + ESP + Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLK 2010
ABS + ESP + Tire Pressure

hi everyone, my 2010 mercedes GLK just got the following 2 messages

I've searched and tried the following. Cleaning wheel with pressure washer to clean sensors. charge the battery, reset procedure by turning wheel completly left then completly right, I've checked all tire pressure. I can't find someone that can get the ECU codes under 150$...

The only thing remaining is my power steering fluid is low but that

Any suggestion would be appreciated if I could test something else! I know it might be related to the wheel sensor or the brake switch but I don't know how to test them.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
Doesn't that say Abs , Esp, and tire pressure monitor don't work? The sensors are inside the tire, how would a pressure wash help? Won't a 25$ code reader work? I have one but never tried it, got it at a local parts store. My French is real rusty.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:07 PM

Mercedes GLK 2010
yes it says my tire pressure is not working but lets say a TPMS fails, abs and esp light would not come on right?

And about the diagnostic, it seems like I need to get it scanned with the "STAR" reader and not the classic OBDII reader
Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350
HI
I got those message too this summer and it was the ABS reluctor ring (the tooth ring for the ABS sensor) .......but me when I got those message the abs was getting on anywhere and brake was apply even when I wasn't touching the brake pedal when I was on the road so I barely get to the dealer and they found the ring that was completely gone because of the rust.....but you doesnt seem to have any effect on the car as I can see so maybe only a defect sensor
Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
Most any big auto parts store will Scan your car for free, whether they have Star I don't know. Give one a call.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:17 AM

Mercedes GLK 2010
Originally Posted by Elmecano
HI
I got those message too this summer and it was the ABS reluctor ring (the tooth ring for the ABS sensor) .......but me when I got those message the abs was getting on anywhere and brake was apply even when I wasn't touching the brake pedal when I was on the road so I barely get to the dealer and they found the ring that was completely gone because of the rust.....but you doesnt seem to have any effect on the car as I can see so maybe only a defect sensor
this is exactly what I'm getting, abs are getting on as soon as I leave the driveway, I does that one to 3 times them I'm on until I restart the car again.

What is the abs reluctor ring? did you need to replace the whole sensor? is this located in the wheel area?

thanks a lot for your input
Old 01-15-2017, 10:21 AM

Mercedes GLK 2010
also how much did it ended up costing to you?
Old 01-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
"Amazing" that your reluctor ring could have gone from rust on a vehicle that is 7 years old, at most. Mercedes?? Wow... I had a Saab for 19 years that lived through humid climates, snow, ice, salt etc. etc. Only the slightest surface rust on the original reluctor rings. How is this possible on your vehicle?

Originally Posted by Elmecano
HI
Old 01-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
The Reluctor ring has a bunch of slots. The metal between the slots is sensed by the ABS pickup. If there is a difference in the frequency of the pulses it means one wheel is turning at a different rate than the others. The computer uses this for anti lock and also traction control. Older systems had a big ring with spurs that looked like a sprocket. This is probably what the Saab had. That is not good enough for modern cars.
New Rear and front
The new rings have many slots and thus are subject to damage. The pickup also could be the culprit
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Right you are. The Saab had a big sturdy ring (1994) that probably would have taken decades to rust away.

Originally Posted by bop11
The Reluctor ring has a bunch of slots. The metal between the slots is sensed by the ABS pickup. If there is a difference in the frequency of the pulses it means one wheel is turning at a different rate than the others. The computer uses this for anti lock and also traction control. Older systems had a big ring with spurs that looked like a sprocket. This is probably what the Saab had. That is not good enough for modern cars.
New Rear and front
The new rings have many slots and thus are subject to damage. The pickup also could be the culprit
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 PM

Mercedes GLK 2010
honnestly I don't think this is my problem. I guess in your case, ABS were getting on and it was undriveable? In my case, abs comes on about 1-2 times at start then everything is fine and truck drives like new.

Tomorrow, I'm getting my codes at local mechanic, What was your codes? was it indicating the reluctor ring or you had to sort it out with try/mistake?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350
Hi
Sorry the late post...well this is why I said I don't think it is the same problem because me when all those light was getting on the brake was getting on to when I was actually getting on the fuel pedal to drive off (so you can imagine all the dust from the brake on the wheel lol)

for the info the reluctor wheel is located on the drive shaft, the ABS sensor is position right on it.....for my situation it cost me about 450$ in labour and parts....parts is only 20$ but they have to remove the hub assembly.....there is a post on another forum similar to my case : http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...p-failure.html

maybe for you it is only a fail sensor!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:36 PM

Mercedes GLK 2010
Hi !! I'm back!!!

I openned the thread a year ago and the problem was the relucant ring. This morning, I had the same problem ABS ESP ETC !!

is there one of these ring per side?

did my other relucant ring just failed?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:47 PM

Mercedes GLK 2010
so it was indeed the other side ABS ring !

350$ later, problem fixed
The following users liked this post:
andreigbs (12-14-2018)