GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Upgrading to HID - EASY AND GOOD!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Consider the wreck you might cause before doing it, please.

Originally Posted by Mmr1
I stated that in the photo one light was not set fully down. You can't accurately state I'm blinding oncoming traffic without seeing it. Your making a false statement. Using 6000K or higher is really where people get blinded since over 4200k is illegal and only for emergency vehicles, for the express purpose to be seen through regular traffic.
6000K and higher are dimmer and bluer, than 4300K which is what factory Benzes come with, so that would go contrary to what point you're trying to make. I can simply state that you're glaring onto oncoming traffic based on the information you shared about installing HID into optics designed for halogens. Additionally, your picture proves the glare is there. Look at it. Clear up to the roof of the structures you're parked around you can see that they're lightly lit be the headlights where in the halogen picture it's FAR more dimly lit. This is the glare that you're sending to other drivers. I didn't directly say you're blinding oncoming traffic, although I did infer it when I make mention of blinding others. Any amount of light shining into oncoming traffic at night from the main beam of your headlights should be an immediate red flag. I strongly doubt the GLK has enough play in the headlight adjusters that you could actually aim them low enough that the glare wouldn't bother other drivers.

Are there some halogen projectors which exaggerate/minimize the glare? Yes, but having owned a GLK and fully disassembled the headlight housings personally, I can tell you that the projector bowls on the GLK are NOT a good example of one that would minimize the glare, and your own photo proves that.

I am not disparaging against improving the lighting performance of the GLK, but more discouraging the encouragement of others doing so with HID "Plug and Play Kits." I hope the following link will help enlighten anyone considering it.

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ils-govt-test=
Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM

2012 GLK
any Great reccomended installers in NJ/NY area

Did I say install is 15 min a side? I didn't install it my installer took about an hour for everything, my cost was 70$. I don't know the exact kit - ballast used, I just picked what the site recommended. I did opt for 4300k 35w, which I was recommended to use. I can state as fact that high K - Kelvin lights that are more blue, scatter light and blind traffic. They sell maybe a 6500 k, I didn't want to risk light scatter since I knew blinding was going to be an issue anyway. Luckily aiming the unit full down fixed that. A few pros told me it was a mistake with the 2013 headlights, but obviously they didn't bother aiming the unit down. There is a mirror-shield I front of the bulb, it took him a bit of work to be sure it was properly positioned. He had experience and tools, I think it would have taken me possibly, all day. Mainly trying to figure it all out.

I recently purchased a HID kit from Xenon depot.
I would really like to have them installed by an absoulte pro.
does anyone know of someone in NY/NJ area that would recommend?
someone that knows exactly what they are doing and does a clean great job.
for my 2012 GLK 350
Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM

2012 GLK
Did I say install is 15 min a side? I didn't install it my installer took about an hour for everything, my cost was 70$. I don't know the exact kit - ballast used, I just picked what the site recommended. I did opt for 4300k 35w, which I was recommended to use. I can state as fact that high K - Kelvin lights that are more blue, scatter light and blind traffic. They sell maybe a 6500 k, I didn't want to risk light scatter since I knew blinding was going to be an issue anyway. Luckily aiming the unit full down fixed that. A few pros told me it was a mistake with the 2013 headlights, but obviously they didn't bother aiming the unit down. There is a mirror-shield I front of the bulb, it took him a bit of work to be sure it was properly positioned. He had experience and tools, I think it would have taken me possibly, all day. Mainly trying to figure it all out.

I recently purchased a HID kit from Xenon depot.
I would really like to have them installed by an absoulte pro.
does anyone know of someone in NY/NJ area that would recommend?
someone that knows exactly what they are doing and does a clean great job.
for my 2012 GLK 350
Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 195 Posts
2013 glk 350
The guy that did my stereo has done all my lighting, that's all they do, upgrades, call a few stereo - custom upgrade shops. Be sure the metal reflector is centerd on the bulb and aim lights completely down.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glk 350
Try driving down Queens Blvd there's a ton out there (NYC) usual the guys in the Bronx are cheap and know what they're doing that's under the train Jerome area