Possibly purchasing a 2011 GLK350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti G37S (possibly GLK350)
Possibly purchasing a 2011 GLK350

Hi all!

I currently drive a 2008 Infiniti G37S coupe....but I have a son who is nearing 1 year old and the carseat and my little G are not getting along so well as you can imagine.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2011 GLK350 with 90k miles on it from a family member at a discounted price. It is loaded with every available option. I know the car has been well maintained. It was in one front-end collision accident but all repairs were completed through an office MB bodyshop/mechanic.

I've been driving the car for a week and am loving it. Haven't felt anything goofy with the transmission...no squeaks or rattles inside. Everything seems to be working flawlessly. (The sound system is phenomenal!) I drove an Audi A4 prior to my G37...I sure do miss the German feel.

2 minor issues - 1, the muffler rattles when the car is put into reverse. I'm figuring this is just a loose connection and should be an easy fix. 2, there are 2 short rips in the drivers seat side bolster. Can anyone shed some light on how much of a pain it will be to get that repaired or reupholstered?

My relative has offered to get the car inspected and take care of any required maintenance (including the muffler rattle...I'm going to ask about the seat repair as well).

If I can get another 5-6 years out of this car, it will mean no car payments during that time...and I don't have to buy the big 3row family SUV yet (wife is getting antsy for baby #2 lol). Do you think this is worth the purchase? What kind of issues can I expect with buying this car with 90k miles on it?

Thanks! Hoping to become more involved around here!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Have it checked out by your dealer but the muffler does sound like a loose or broken hanger and the seat bolster can be repaired or a new skin put on the seat. If it's not a project you're comfortable with any auto upholstery shop can easily do it. Not a big project and the new covers are available online. I have a '10 4Matic GLK which has been trouble free and a lot of fun to drive also.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
My 2010 has 104000 miles with no problems, but like, it appears, many others, it has the bad spot on the driver side seat. I think the cover is about $200 and there is a thread on replacing it without removing the seat on this board. Just have not gotten around to doing it on a 7 year old car.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
The rattle when in reverse can mean anything as simple as the hanger, muffler bafflle damage, to the expensive motor/transmission mounts. Does it rattle when in drive and goes away when in neutral? Look at the service history, two transmission service should have been done, along with all other fluids due it going to be due soon.
i also have a slight rip on the driver seat, replacement covers are available and run 300+ and will take a few hours to replace at home, or you can use vinyl repair to fix it and to stop it from getting worst if you have MB-Tex and not real leather.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Seems that the rip was a defect in design, but I have yet to figure out what causes it. Until then, I will stick with the repair kit, as mine started with only 20k. on the car. Wish I could prove it and get it fixed under waranty even after 103k miles.