GLK250 with a RacingBox (tuning box) installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
Cool GLK250 with a RacingBox (tuning box) installed

I've searched online through many forums including here and I have not found much information on this product, so I will be the guinea pig for your benefit!

Disclaimer: you are responsible for your own car and I am not affiliated in any way with the company. Do your own research and take responsibility for yourself.

I wanted a simple PnP solution to boost the power in my GLK Bluetec a bit. I don't want a software tune (at present) and the price for this tuning box made it worthwhile to experiment with.

Here's the link to the tuning box itself: https://www.racingbox.eu/en/chiptuni...di-204-hp.html

I paid for it online on Friday (the 14th) and received it Monday morning this past week (the 17th), with FedEx tracking information every step of the way. It was shipped from Italy, along with paperwork certifying it is of Italian origin, FWIW (Alfa's anyone?)

It was a 10 minute job to install. Simply unplug fuel pressure sensor plug and connect supplied harness and tuning box. Effectively you are now sub-controlling the fuel rail pressure through the tuning box.

The tuning box has 10 switches (1 being On, no increase in fueling and then 2-10 being the increased levels) and was set to 5 by default.

I switched to 8 for starters, took it for a spin and shortly hit limp mode on WOT, followed by a CEL. Obviously too much.

I then cleared the CEL with my trusty X-gauge, set tuning box to level 6 and tried again. No CEL or limp mode this time, but I could hear a clicking noise on heavy acceleration coming from what I presume is the fuel rail. Power was great through the whole RPM range, no smoke.

I decided to set the tuning box back to level 5 and have been driving it like that for the past couple days.

The results? Very slight clicking now but only on heavy acceleration; plenty of power through the entire rev band. No smoke, no CEL, no limp mode. I may yet reduce the level to 4, but we will see...

Why did I choose this product over others? I just took a shot, really. You can search for "Italian Speed tuning box" and will find similar products at the same price.

In essence, they pretty much all do the same thing: trick the ECU into dumping more fuel to achieve the desired pressure in the common rail and into the injectors. More fuel into the engine by default will also cause the turbos to compensate somewhat with more boost. It is not as elegant a solution as a proper tune, I know, but it is fast, totally removable, and provides a good bump in power as measured on the butt dyno.

For those interested in pics of the install, I can post some later although I didn't take any during the install itself. I can try and help if you have questions, just ask.

For those preparing to scold me, save it. I am my own warranty, don't worry about it.

I will report back after additional time/miles have been added and hope to have a more in-depth review and verdict as time goes on.

For now, happy dieseling
Old 07-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLK250
So my question is - why?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
why on earth would you do this to your truck?
if you want "more power" then buy the right tool (car/truck) for the job. this is just senseless.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
What do you guys mean, why? Because moar powa!

A tuning box may not be the most elegant solution to that end, but it certainly is the cheapest and easiest. These trucks are not new technology, they've been around for awhile and the European tuner market is full of options. This is just one I've decided to try.

Besides, in the interest of science, if my experience may be of use to someone else, why the naysaying?

YMMV
Old 07-19-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
I, too, would love more power, but squeezing more of it out of a 2.1l 4-cylinder engine that already pushes 200 hp and 369lb-ft of torque is asking for trouble, I'd say.

The ticking and CEL, to me, are dead giveaways that you are playing with fire.

I'd settle for an improved throttle response.

If you floor it from a stop, there is about a 1-second delay when nothing happens, whereas with such torque, it should propel you forward.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:37 PM

2012 GLK
this thread reminds me of this, i love these guys
Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
The ticking from the fuel rail was somewhat concerning to me as well, and after another day driving it, I set the box one level lower. Its now at 4.

Now there is no ticking under any throttle application, only smooth and swift motion. Not that it was a slouch before, just that now it goes with more determination and less throttle lag as well. That alone makes it easier to drive and worth the mod.

I guess you guys just skipped over all that naysayer part, huh? Or you can't resist wagging your finger with a Tsk Tsk.

As I've said twice already, I'm only trying to provide more firsthand information on these products and how well they work or don't work on our Bluetecs. I'm looking for a cheap and reliable way to add some power. My experiences (good and bad) might hopefully provide information for others also looking for the same.

You guys can contribute to the discussion or go read other posts.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 AM

2015 GLK350
If you can't take hearing different opinions then maybe you shouldn't be posting on a public forum.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
There seems to be no other opinions expressed than, "is bad, why you do?"

That's great, you're entitled to it. My point was to generate discussion and questions relating to the actual mod, not just the "why?" which I had answered in the third sentence of my first post.

Again, the point of the post is to report my experiences using this particular tuning box. I am not recommending it nor selling it, just telling people what it's like on my truck.

Is more information on a product/mod that not many people have a bad thing? I argue more information is better. That was the point of posting on a public forum.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 AM

2012 GLK
Originally Posted by andreigbs
now it goes with more determination and less throttle lag as well. That alone makes it easier to drive and worth the mod.
care to quantify "more determination"? what does that mean?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by B737
care to quantify "more determination"? what does that mean?
I can't quantify it with numbers, I can only describe it as less throttle input needed to get going and definitely less lag in getting off the line.

On-ramps are a flex of my big toe and quick blast to +70mph; green at a stoplight means I'm already through the intersection when the lane next to me has barely started moving.

It just performs more effortlessly, and especially from rolling starts like when creeping up at a light that has just turned green or when traffic ahead of you has begun moving again; simply effortless GO.

I also notice less revs needed to get up to speed.

All of that is summed up as "more determined" performance.

Last edited by andreigbs; 07-20-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM

2014 GLK250
I can't quantify it with numbers, I can only describe it as less throttle input needed to get going and definitely less lag in getting off the line.

On-ramps are a flex of my big toe and quick blast to +70mph; green at a stoplight means I'm already through the intersection when the lane next to me has barely started moving.

It just performs more effortlessly, and especially from rolling starts like when creeping up the a light that has just turned green or when traffic ahead of you has begun moving again; simply effortless GO.

I also notice less revs needed to get up to speed.

All of that is summed up as "more determined" performance.
My question is though, why sell a box that goes up to 10 if it's only useable at 4? Isn't it like using the customer as a beta-tester?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by Hugo L.
My question is though, why sell a box that goes up to 10 if it's only useable at 4? Isn't it like using the customer as a beta-tester?
A good question. It is not unusable in higher settings, but it is too aggressive IMO on anything past 7. If you can trigger limp mode just by stomping on the throttle, that's no bueno.

FWIW, there are similar products that only have 4 settings, such as this: https://www.italianspeed.eu/en/chipt...04-hp-856.html but I'm not going to try another tuning box unless someone wants to chip in the money!

There's also a Brabus power module that you can try, but it's really $$$. I'll find it and show you.

From what I can tell this past week, level 4 is perfect for my needs. The truck runs flawlessly, has a bit more pep in its step and so far it seems to be returning better FE as well. Usually after 250 miles I'd be at half tank; I'm only down to a bit below 2/3 now

Last edited by andreigbs; 07-20-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:39 PM

2012 GLK
Originally Posted by Hugo L.
because its FOUR better than it was before!! lol
Old 07-20-2017, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Here is the Brabus product, for those that are afraid of anything outside OEM-approved vendors.

The Brabus module for our Bluetecs is highlighted yellow.... as is the price
Old 07-20-2017, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
because its FOUR better than it was before!! lol
Better than stock is still better...
Old 07-20-2017, 04:49 PM

2014 GLK250
Here is the Brabus product, for those that are afraid of anything outside OEM-approved vendors.

The Brabus module for our Bluetecs is highlighted yellow.... as is the price
The cost per hp is worse than on my old BMWs...
Old 07-20-2017, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Torque is more important in a diesel, but I agree the price is shockingly high; hence my search for a reasonable alternative.

Minimal gains are likely due to this engine already being tuned to nearly its full potential without sacrificing longevity or fuel economy.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C200 CDI Facelift 122-158hp
Hello friends !
I have to share my opinion on my own tuning box - Racechip Ultimate. I am not paid by Racechip or anything, it's just that I had very positive experience with them.

I started with a Racechip Pro 2 ( the medium priced box from them) on my w203 ( C200 CDI 122 hp ). I ran the tuning box for 3 years and 60 000 km with no problem( and I mean zero problems) and I used the max settings on the chip. The fuel economy and power was very good . I sold that car and I kept the chip - I want to put it on my VW Passat now after I pay for a new software.

When I bought my GLK 250 CDI Bluefficiency ( not Bluetec), I decided to buy their Racechip Ultimate box - found it on the internet from a guy who bought it at Racechip USA and then came to Europe with his car... Got a good price on it and I got it reprogrammed at Racechip headquarters in my country for a nice price- they showed me when they copied the programme to my chip and they do have a lot of different software programs for a lot of different cars and engines- so it's definetly not fake.

I installed the chip on my car very easy since I had previous experience with this tuning box. The results was as expected, but it was a little different than on my W203. The software for the GLK 250 CDI engine ( OM 651 I believe it's called ) is more complicated than on the W203 C200 CDI, so I had to go safer on the settings.

The Racechip Ultimate has 4 different settings for power wich are road tested by the Racechip team. The other settings ( which are many ) you can use at your own risk . I tried to use the "unsafe" setting and I got an error code at 200 kmh on the autobahn. So I switched to the maximum "safe" roadtested setting and I had no problems for months now, even at very high speeds and hard acceleration.

I also talked to the Custumer Support Team and they told me that now I am running on 21% extra power with a 5-8% possible tollerance. So the car has now about 230- 250 hp - it certainly feels that way. The fuel consumption is also very good.

The point I am trying to make is that Racechip Ultimate worked for my car and I am very satisfied. I do believe that tuning boxes work if they are made right.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM

2012 GLK
Originally Posted by W203_Fan

I also talked to the Custumer Support Team and they told me that now I am running on 21% extra power with a 5-8% possible tollerance. So the car has now about 230- 250 hp - it certainly feels that way.
absolutely ridiculous. unless the vehicle is dynoed to show us a print out, this is a load of complete garbage.

"feels good" "they told me so" "determined driving" is all just marketing, to obtain your money.

this box is plugged into a single sensor, it is not making 40HP lol if you believe that, then you really need to learn more about your car.

if you were talking about a tune piggy backed on the ECU then maybe, as its taking into consideration the rest of sensor data, and output. whats more likely is that you are paying for an led light and dip switches, marketing. or worse, just grenading your motor over time.

do you guys honestly believe that someone who didnt make the car "knows better" than the nerds who designed the system itself?

this forum surprises me sometimes. you'd think with people posting about costly repairs under normal operation (i would not call our vehicles "reliable" by any stretch), coupled w the cost of routine and preventative maintenance, some would gain an appreciation for how sensitive the 204 is to 'adjustments' and abuse. This is not a civic.

Last edited by B737; 07-21-2017 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (10-09-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Well, you don't have to believe me. I tested the acceleration speed from 0 to 100 and it went down under 8 seconds every time. Without the Racechip I got a maximum on 8,6 seconds at best.
And I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to increase the power to your car since the GLK 200 CDI , 220 CDI and 250 CDI have the same engine with different software...
From my understanding the chip increases the fuel pressure in the commonrail pump and then tricks the ECU to not go into Limp Mode. It's not magic or anything.
I had the same doubts at first , but once I tried the product I was comvinced by the results.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
drivbiwire, is that you?

I fully realize and appreciate the engineering that went into our cars. However, these tuning boxes are not a new invention or anything. People have been tricking their fuel pumps with resistors for decades on TDIs and now on CRDs in search of adding a bit more power cheaply.

Yes, some have ruined perfectly good cars. But many others have enjoyed the mods for years with no ill effects. I get that you don't approve, and that's ok. I'm not going to tinker with your car. If you can learn anything from me tinkering with mine, it won't cost you a dime. If you don't care, then.... there are other posts.

Btw, Racechip W203 guy: you kinda sorta hijacked my thread here... perhaps should have started your own?

I don't mind, just saying.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 AM

Sorry for 'hijacking', that was not my intent. I am also very interested in tinckering with my car and found your post very interesting, had to jump in.
I read for years the BMW forums that are filled with information regarding tuning boxes... there is no such big interest in the MB comunity.
I want to congratulate you for starting this thread. For me is very interesting and I do hope to learn a lot from your experience.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 AM

2015 GLK350
absolutely ridiculous. unless the vehicle is dynoed to show us a print out, this is a load of complete garbage.

<snip>

do you guys honestly believe that someone who didnt make the car "knows better" than the nerds who designed the system itself?
<snip>

This is not a civic.

I couldn't agree with you more.

On the one hand I get it - I too was once a kid that liked to tweak and tune things. But then I grew up and learned that in most cases cars run better and last longer if you leave them alone other than performing proper maintenance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK250 with a RacingBox (tuning box) installed