GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Used GLK Shopping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2017 | 04:51 PM

glk
Used GLK Shopping

I am new to MB. Looking for a reliable, affordable, nice looking vehicle. The GLK caught my eye. Are there any known issues 2012-2015 I need to be aware of? Big repair prices having to get everything at the dealer "stealer" ect.... Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-14-2017 | 06:50 PM

2012 GLK
there are plenty of things to look out for on GLKs or any MB really...

- some transmissions are known to grenade. they typically start whining before they do. test drive accordingly. transmission service is 4 years 40,000 miles you can DIY or have dealer do it ~$800. Servicing the transmission is thought to be critical regarding premature failure.

- ESL / EIS failures, typically after 6-8 years, render vehicle immobile.

- common for brakes on these trucks to squeak / squeal if not serviced properly.

- in 2013+ they went to direct injection (use your own judgment here)

- thoroughly inspect Bluetooth connectivity, you may be in for a surprise to stream music from you cell phone ect

- try to find a truck with MMP / technology package so you get rear view camera ect

- leaks from transmission are also common and very expensive to repair, typically the seal in the back of the tranny (not the pan).

- automatic steering wheel height adjustment frequently breaks / broken. PITA cheap DIY or another ~$800 trip to dealer.

- keyless go, while "cool" is super expensive to trouble shoot and repair when it breaks, also a difficult DIY.

- sunroof sync issues, or sunshade operational issues are common but usually not a big deal

do thorough test drive, due diligence, drive a lot of them to get a feel for whats wrong and whats not. dont forget to check for all the things you would normally look for on any used vehicle (oil coolant AC ect).

im sure im missing some, if you search there is a lot of info about this on the forum, also look at W204 subsection as its pretty much same vehicle.

I test drove about 7 GLKs before finding one for my loved one. absolutely beat the **** out of it on a lengthy test drive. it was the only vehicle that did not show signs of some mechanical issue... and like any MB, you're never really out of the woods. happy hunting

Last edited by B737; 08-15-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-15-2017 | 07:36 AM

2015 GLK350
A couple more.

Some diesels have issues with nox sensor, differential pressure switch and DPF (particulate filter).

The pre-2013 V6 gasser may be susceptible to the balance shaft issue which can result in total engine failure.