GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Unable to lock the car using the door button when outside of the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
Unable to lock the car using the door button when outside of the car?

I just remembered something annoying with my car : if I want to lock it using the remote, no problem, it works.

If I'm IN the car and want to lock the doors using the door trim button, no problem.

But if I'm OUT of the car, and want to lock it using the same button, it won't work. I assume it's some sort of «let's make sure no one manually locks their car with the keys inside» thing, but really, that's annoying.

The other night I was done removing some stuff from my cargo area and was about to call it a day, and figured I'd lock my car before getting in the house. No deal. You have to go inside, find your keys, and lock the car from a distance.

Is there a way to disable this?

Yeah, I know, #firstworldproblems
Old 09-22-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
I don't think you have been able to lock most American cars with the door open using the door buttons since the late 80's for just the reason you said. However, I do remember locking my keys in a '98 Range Rover when I closed the door at a car wash accidentally hitting the door button. On that car you could actually lock the car and deactivate the buttons with a second push on the lock fob to keep people from opening the door with a Slim Jim. They quickly removed that feature for fear of locking someone into a car with no means of escape should the driver leave the car with the fob and accidentally hit the lock fob twice.