GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Would love to know the reliability of 2011~2012 vs 2013 ~ 2014 GLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213
Would love to know the reliability of 2011~2012 vs 2013 ~ 2014 GLK

I'm considering buying one for wife, with around 50~70k miles and will be only using it for local driving.

Wife hasn't been behind wheel for 3 years after hitting a tree and totaling her RX350...

earlier this month, after taking 10 driving classes, I let her drive our brand new W213 for the first time and she hit the curb when making a right turn...

GLK is known for overall toughness and got the top scores from all the crash tests, therefore a used one would be perfect for her to drive and practice. (and even she drive onto the curb it would be less damage since GLK as high ground clearance ...)

Last edited by yuzone; 12-23-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Smile

Are you sure that reliability is your concern? Given your comments about your wife's driving it might be more important to focus on things like overall sturdiness, ease of repair, and expense of repairs.

If you hit a curb with a GLK then depending on the speed of impact you are looking at a scraped or bent wheel and possibly a wheel alignment, but this is true for most cars. Maybe you should not be looking at vehicles with low profile tires and large wheels. Rather look for something with taller sidewalls so when they hit the curb the rubber hits instead of the metal wheel.

Have you considered Jeeps? They are meant to hold up to abuse and are not super expensive to repair. Bumping into a curb with a jeep generates a shrug instead of a repair bill.

And you know, there are some people that just shouldn't drive.
The following users liked this post:
JackNatti (07-13-2023)
Old 12-23-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 BMW M3, '11 GLK350 AMG (RWD)
Our '11 RWD has been pretty much bullet proof - just bulbs (headlights, taillights), and the transmission/key interlock (which was an easy fix). Only 71k miles so far though (my wife's car around town, airport runs).
Old 12-23-2017, 11:48 AM

W213
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
Are you sure that reliability is your concern? Given your comments about your wife's driving it might be more important to focus on things like overall sturdiness, ease of repair, and expense of repairs.

If you hit a curb with a GLK then depending on the speed of impact you are looking at a scraped or bent wheel and possibly a wheel alignment, but this is true for most cars. Maybe you should not be looking at vehicles with low profile tires and large wheels. Rather look for something with taller sidewalls so when they hit the curb the rubber hits instead of the metal wheel.

Have you considered Jeeps? They are meant to hold up to abuse and are not super expensive to repair. Bumping into a curb with a jeep generates a shrug instead of a repair bill.

And you know, there are some people that just shouldn't drive.
Yeah I know - but we live in suburb ( moved from city for good school ) and she’ll have to drive sooner or later at some point since our elder kid is reaching school age. Right now she stays at home with two kids 5x24 and only goes out with me driving at weekend and we spend whole day doing grocery and shopping since she couldn’t drive therefore could never leave home for grocery or anything at weekdays when I’m away working 8am to 8pm ( I commute )

I’ll look into Jeep Which model(s) would you suggest ? (tough & safe ). I never looked at Jeep before.

​​​​​​​thanks
Old 12-23-2017, 11:54 AM

W213
Originally Posted by david1201
Our '11 RWD has been pretty much bullet proof - just bulbs (headlights, taillights), and the transmission/key interlock (which was an easy fix). Only 71k miles so far though (my wife's car around town, airport runs).
That’s really nice to hear .

I saw a bunch of one-owner accident free 2011-2012 GLK around this mile being offered at price within my budget ( < 20k )

Will look at some
Old 12-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GLK350 4-Matic
We have had our 2013 GLK350 4-matic for about 5 months. Had 78k on it when we bought it for just under $20k. It now has 82k miles and has been flawless and my wife absolutely loves it. Had transmission fluid and filter changed and the transmission shop said everything looked great. I just did the oil change and the car looks perfect underneath. Runs like a banshee and is solid as a new one. Significant changes in 2013 so I would look for a 13 or newer. Earlier transmissions in the 1st generation I hear had more problems and that was confirmed by Certified Transmission. Very easy car to drive and comfortable.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:35 AM

W213
Originally Posted by KC61
We have had our 2013 GLK350 4-matic for about 5 months. Had 78k on it when we bought it for just under $20k. It now has 82k miles and has been flawless and my wife absolutely loves it. Had transmission fluid and filter changed and the transmission shop said everything looked great. I just did the oil change and the car looks perfect underneath. Runs like a banshee and is solid as a new one. Significant changes in 2013 so I would look for a 13 or newer. Earlier transmissions in the 1st generation I hear had more problems and that was confirmed by Certified Transmission. Very easy car to drive and comfortable.
That's awesome.
2013 under 20k seems a very nice deal tho.
Around my area, 2013~2015 models are usually over 25k.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
lol a 4000 mile example is hardly of any value to proclaim reliability. ^

Only when comparing to other Mercedes Benz products, would i call a GLK basic. It lacks air suspension, and many other advanced features that are usually points of failure in higher series Mercedes. When compared to other cars on the road, I would say the GLK is far from 'outstanding' or simple. Read up on x/w204 Thermostat, ESL, IES issues, timing chain noise, automatic tailgate issues, entertainment stack failures, keyless go repairs, noisy idlers, eating brakes, tires, I can keep going.

Beware of 2013+ as they switched from the basic 272 engine to the more complex direct injection 276. use your own judgement, read up on DI.

With light use, attentive care, non-abusive driver, garage kept, the car will probably behave itself. I would not expect it to be entirely trouble free.
I would not call a GLK robust by any means. hitting a curb could easily be a $1500-$2000 affair depending what parts of the suspension and steering are damaged, if you have the 22" wheels, forget about it.

I put my SO in a GLK only because I am familiar working on w204 and x204 vehicles, i liked that the GLK was pretty cheap, it is heavy, safe, easy to drive for her. I have a lot of free time to keep up with preventive maintenance in my own garage and we have two other vehicles in the household for when one is down.

my suggestion if you are looking for a drama free car for a driver who is less than careful, buy a Camry.

Last edited by B737; 12-26-2017 at 02:49 PM.