GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Blind Spot Detection Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250, BMW 335d
Blind Spot Detection Inoperative

Our 2013 GLK 250 has this as its only problem. It seems that there is a intermittant problem to a degree as it seems to pass the check on start up sometimes and then goes to fail mode where the yellow triangles stay lit in the mirrors after a short distance. I have turned it off for now but has anyone had this issue and what generally had been the cause and rectification. My wife called the dealer and was told that it is a 1.5 hr diagnostic plus 4 to 5 hours to fix. This seems extreme when the diagnostics have been done and it is either of 2 transducers / radar buds in the back bumper that need to be replaced. Is there a separate radar unit in the rear bumper area as well as the backup sensor buds? Any past experience as to cause and fi would be appreciated. I am in Canada with lots of cold and snow/salt and slush but I washed up the vehicle yesterday and that did not improve things.
Thanks GLKers
Old 01-22-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
So there are two radar sensor modules in the rear bumper. The module part number is 000-905-01-10, see if it got damaged or unpluged. The wiring could also have been damaged.
The following users liked this post:
Cinqc (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 11:53 AM

GLK 250, BMW 335d
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
So there are two radar sensor modules in the rear bumper. The module part number is 000-905-01-10, see if it got damaged or unpluged. The wiring could also have been damaged.
Thanks for the input. Car goes in on Thurs for repair. I will update after I eat the bill. YUK
Cheers
Old 02-08-2018, 05:14 PM

GLK 250, BMW 335d
Blind Spot Radar Sensors Replaced

Originally Posted by Cinqc
Thanks for the input. Car goes in on Thurs for repair. I will update after I eat the bill. YUK
Cheers
It would seem that there is am unofficial recall in Canada. The radar detectors on each side of the rear bumper and the wiring harness between all the sensors was replaced at no charge. Thank goodness for Mercedes standing behind their designs which in this case involved corrosion in the connectors due to the heavy use of salt during winter. They also put in a cover of sorts to prevent salt and snow from packing into this area where the radar detectors are located. Thus a known problem in Canada due to design defficiency.. Vehicle is 2013 and off warrenty..
Old 02-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C240, 2013 GLK 250, 70 'cuda
Interesting. Had this problem last winter but still had it covered under warranty. I should look and see if they put the cover on.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:02 PM

GLK250 bluetek
It would seem that there is am unofficial recall in Canada. The radar detectors on each side of the rear bumper and the wiring harness between all the sensors was replaced at no charge. Thank goodness for Mercedes standing behind their designs which in this case involved corrosion in the connectors due to the heavy use of salt during winter. They also put in a cover of sorts to prevent salt and snow from packing into this area where the radar detectors are located. Thus a known problem in Canada due to design defficiency.. Vehicle is 2013 and off warrenty..
Hi could you please give the recall number, yesterday my glk250 does the same thing as yours I have it booked to go in to a dealer and would like to give them the info.
thanks
jim
Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM

GLK 250, BMW 335d
Originally Posted by kifaru
Hi could you please give the recall number, yesterday my glk250 does the same thing as yours I have it booked to go in to a dealer and would like to give them the info.
thanks
jim
There is no number for a recall on my receipt. In fact it is a repair oder piece of paper and not the usual one that you get when the service intervals are completed which list manhours etc. The service manager advised me that Mercedes will make the call but it is likely that this will be free. I doubt that he would have made this statement if he was not sure of the outcome from Mercedes. They kept the car overnight and the next day it was done and free even though the car is off warrenty. It has low mileage but I do not know what the criteria is other than being in Canada with all the corrosion from salt.
They did replace both radar sensors and the wiring harness between all the bumper units including the rear parktronic sensors.as the particular diagnosis was corrosion at the pins.
Good luck with your repair.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 AM

2013 GLK250, 2014 Smart ED
There is no number for a recall on my receipt. In fact it is a repair oder piece of paper and not the usual one that you get when the service intervals are completed which list manhours etc. The service manager advised me that Mercedes will make the call but it is likely that this will be free. I doubt that he would have made this statement if he was not sure of the outcome from Mercedes. They kept the car overnight and the next day it was done and free even though the car is off warrenty. It has low mileage but I do not know what the criteria is other than being in Canada with all the corrosion from salt.
They did replace both radar sensors and the wiring harness between all the bumper units including the rear parktronic sensors.as the particular diagnosis was corrosion at the pins.
Good luck with your repair.

I had the same repair done last winter. Yesterday it broke again. I've been really happy with the vehicle, but i'm getting worried now. The extended warranty runs out in 20,000km and if this is a yearly event it'll drive me nuts. Maybe some dialectic grease will help. I guess i'd better book it back in.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:51 PM

2015 MB GLK350
Hello, I am located in Western Canada, own a 2015 GLK350 with the blind spot assist issue, but I am not the original owner, not sure if MB will be very generous. I removed the sensors from the brackets today, and cleaned the white surface, I guess I should have removed the harness, and checked for corrosion at the connections. Warning lights are still on at this time.

Are you the original owner of your vehicle?
Old 03-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
Originally Posted by MB4WDGLK350
Hello, I am located in Western Canada, own a 2015 GLK350 with the blind spot assist issue, but I am not the original owner, not sure if MB will be very generous. I removed the sensors from the brackets today, and cleaned the white surface, I guess I should have removed the harness, and checked for corrosion at the connections. Warning lights are still on at this time.

Are you the original owner of your vehicle?
Where you locate in western canada? i have a spare blind spot radar sensor, i can give that to you to see if u can clear the warning light
MB4WDGLK350 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLK350 2010 Sold C63 AMG 2012 Sedan Sold GLK250 2013
I had the dealer replace these for me. There is no recall. Mercedes Canada has been approving request to replace them in kind. There is a manufacturing defect in the original sensor. Apparently the adhesive that holds it together fails and lets water in causing the sensor to fail. The new sensors use a different adhesive, an updated gasket and they submerge the internals in Gel. You would have to go to your local dealer and ask them to apply to Mercedes Canada to have them replaced. I think they look for customer loyalty to approve request (not sure about this). I quoted all the Mercedes i owned in the past and my regular use of the dealer service department. They asked me for the car mileage as well. It was approved in 24 hours. The cost to replace them is roughly 2500 dollars Canadian. I paid 0 dollars.
MB4WDGLK350 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 01:41 PM

I am also not the original owner of my GLK or any of the previous Mercedes i owned.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:37 PM

2015 MB GLK350
Hello, I will call the dealer in Edmonton tomorrow, and see where that takes me,
Cheers!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:38 PM

2015 MB GLK350
Thank you, I will call the dealer tomorrow and see where that takes me!
Cheers!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:40 PM

2015 MB GLK350
Originally Posted by ramo80
I had the dealer replace these for me. There is no recall. Mercedes Canada has been approving request to replace them in kind. There is a manufacturing defect in the original sensor. Apparently the adhesive that holds it together fails and lets water in causing the sensor to fail. The new sensors use a different adhesive, an updated gasket and they submerge the internals in Gel. You would have to go to your local dealer and ask them to apply to Mercedes Canada to have them replaced. I think they look for customer loyalty to approve request (not sure about this). I quoted all the Mercedes i owned in the past and my regular use of the dealer service department. They asked me for the car mileage as well. It was approved in 24 hours. The cost to replace them is roughly 2500 dollars Canadian. I paid 0 dollars.
Hello, I will call the dealer in Edmonton tomorrow, and see where that takes me,
Cheers!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:41 PM

2015 MB GLK350
Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
Where you locate in western canada? i have a spare blind spot radar sensor, i can give that to you to see if u can clear the warning light
Cheers!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:57 AM

2015 MB GLK350
Update for 2015 Mercedes GLK350
Picked up the vehicle yesterday from the dealer, they replaced the blind spot sensors, wiring harness at no charge, replaced both front wheel bearings, and updated the engine software, all at no charge! I have never been treated better and fairly at a dealer than that, I will bring my vehicle to this dealership to have my future service needs completed, Heritage Valley Mercedes rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
susanGLK250 (08-31-2023)
Old 03-09-2019, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Great outcome. A little worried on why the front wheel bearings needed changing.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK 350
Originally Posted by MB4WDGLK350
Update for 2015 Mercedes GLK350
Picked up the vehicle yesterday from the dealer, they replaced the blind spot sensors, wiring harness at no charge, replaced both front wheel bearings, and updated the engine software, all at no charge! I have never been treated better and fairly at a dealer than that, I will bring my vehicle to this dealership to have my future service needs completed, Heritage Valley Mercedes rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi MB4WDGLK350,
I also live in Edmonton and my 2013 GLK 350 is having the same issue with radar sensor. Please can you tell me how should I handle this issue with Mercedes? What should I tell them?
I really want to repair that free of charge as I don't really want to spend $2,500.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Hi Wespart

If you look at my original comment above. It tells you exactly what to say to the dealership.

" You would have to go to your local dealer and ask them to apply to Mercedes Canada to have them replaced. I think they look for customer loyalty to approve request (not sure about this). I quoted all the Mercedes i owned in the past and my regular use of the dealer service department. They asked me for the car mileage as well. It was approved in 24 hours. The cost to replace them is roughly 2500 dollars Canadian. I paid 0 dollars."
Old 12-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK 350
Hi Ramo80,

Thank you very much for your reply. I called the dealership today and they said they need to diagnostic the vehicle first before they can make a statement saying that it will be covered by Mercedes. However in case Mercedes won't cover it, I will need to pay for the diagnostic fee, which can cost up to $400. I'm bringing the vehicle in on Thursday and I'm crossing my fingers that is a manufacturing defect, so they won't charge me.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Be forewarned that it’s not likely to be a manufacturer defect, and that you’ll likely have to pay.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK 350
I brought the vehicle to the dealership this morning and 2 hours later they sent me a quote of about $2,500. On the quote it is mentioned that both blindspot sensors and wiring harness are corroded. This should be covered by MB, but they want to charge me for that. I read many posts where people are saying that the reason of the free replacement by MB was the corrosion. I'm waiting to talk to the service department.

Any advice?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
GLK350
Got my blind spot sensors fixed free

Just had my sensors replaced and s/w upgraded along with 2 recalls (steering wheel bolts and airbag ground wire) for free on a used 2013 GLK 350. It’s a known corrosion issue and MB stands behind it. Road salt really does a job here in Ontario. Had the same issue on a 2013 C300. Fixed for free too.

Can’t believe the top level of service I always receive at Star Motors of Ottawa. They are the reason this is my 6th MB! That’s why I’m a lifetime customer now
Old 10-21-2020, 11:23 PM

SLK55
Originally Posted by KanataSteve
Just had my sensors replaced and s/w upgraded along with 2 recalls (steering wheel bolts and airbag ground wire) for free on a used 2013 GLK 350. It’s a known corrosion issue and MB stands behind it. Road salt really does a job here in Ontario. Had the same issue on a 2013 C300. Fixed for free too.

Can’t believe the top level of service I always receive at Star Motors of Ottawa. They are the reason this is my 6th MB! That’s why I’m a lifetime customer now
Can I know which advisor you spoke with? My BSA sensors are shot and I really don't want to pay to get them fixed. I have a 2015 GLK250, wonder if those sensors have the same issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Detection Inoperative