GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Mercedes Dieselgate - recalls? buybacks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018 | 09:12 AM

glk
Mercedes Dieselgate - recalls? buybacks?

News in the last day about diesel cheating. Doesn't specify which vehicles but very specific details are starting to leak out

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ests-bams-says
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/18/...ions-cheating/

If it comes to a buyback, any GLK250 owners going to consider taking it? If Mercedes is found to have cheated, passenger diesels could become so scarce that finding **affordable** emission/diesel maintenance in several years will become impossible for the average consumer... but you would have a rare car in years to come
Old 03-12-2018 | 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Having once done the VW buyback on my 2014 Golf TDI, I would take the buyback most likely.

It's simply not worth keeping for the long haul, as used to be the case with Merc's diesels in the past. The sophisticated computer control/software and additional exhaust after treatment that is required for these BlueTecs makes them unreliable for the average consumer without deep pockets.

Whatever the "fix" may be, if it's anything like VW's, it will only make the BlueTec less fuel-efficient and likely to castrate its overall performance.

IMO, in that situation, a buyback is the safest and most practical choice.
Old 03-12-2018 | 05:14 PM

GLK250 2014
Looks like this will drag out a long time yet. I would happy if they had a buy back, but it would need to be soon. In the meantime, question is whether to trade/sell now (my car is 4+yrs old) or wait and see what happens.

There should be a good market elsewhere in world where they don't have our emission laws. Wonder if MB shipped GLKs without bluetec to such countries?
Old 03-12-2018 | 10:56 PM

glk
On the other hand, of they ever offered the choice of an 100% extra 10 year no questions asked warranty on the emission, I would probably take that instead because the car itself is pretty fun to drive for an SUV