GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Years later, how do you feel about your glk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glk250
Years later, how do you feel about your glk?

Now that time has passed, how do you feel about your GLK? Has the love been lost at all? Any major repairs that have caused you to regret the purchase?

I am asking this not as an owner myself, but as some one who is very close to making the jump. I have had my eye on the glk250 (mostly because of the fuel economy compared to the 350). Some things I've read have bugged me, but it hasn't seemed to be anything to stop the purchase.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
dont get the diesel if you plan to drive it out of warranty. The DEF system is very complex and unreliable.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Glk250
Really? I've read so much on here saying that they are happy with their older diesel models, and I can only assume they are out of warranty. But from what I've always known about diesel (having never actually owned one), is pretty much exactly what you said. It just seemed to me that people on this site were much happier with theirs. I was starting to think maybe MB had found the solution lol. Guess not

Is this a general consensus in the group?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
I just turned in my 2014 GLK 350 at the end of my 3 year lease. It was the best car I have ever had. Great seats and ride. Smooth engine. No problems at all during the 3 year period. I just leased a new GLC 300 and while there are some improvements over the GLK 350, I prefer the GLK 350. I highly recommend the car.
The following users liked this post:
Benzgurl#1 (03-17-2021)
Old 06-24-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by BlueRidge
I just turned in my 2014 GLK 350 at the end of my 3 year lease. It was the best car I have ever had. Great seats and ride. Smooth engine. No problems at all during the 3 year period. I just leased a new GLC 300 and while there are some improvements over the GLK 350, I prefer the GLK 350. I highly recommend the car.
Hey Blue. Interesting! What do you like better about the GLC? Does it ride less "trucky" and more like a car? Give us a brief comparison, please! I'm thinking of doing the same.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
The main difference, for me, is in the quality of the seats. Both have leather seats, but the leather was softer in the GLK and the GLK seats had more padding. I still have not found a comfortable position in the GLC seat, whereas the GLK seat was always very comfortable. Part of the problem with the GLC 300 is that it has a seat extender; a good idea in theory to provide added support for your legs during long trips, but the seat extensions are not well padded and, as least for me, uncomfortable to use.

Another issue is the engine. While the 4 cylinder in the GLC provides plenty of power, it is not as smooth as the 6 cylinder in the GLK. This is especially evident while idling at a stop. Even when the engine was on while stopping in the GLK (i.e., the ECO stop was not in operation), I felt no vibration from the engine. In contrast, there is sometimes uncomfortable vibration from the engine idling during stops in the GLC. (The dealership told me this was “normal” for the 4 cylinder engine)

I also felt the suspension was less stiff in the GLK. Felt less of the road compared to my current GLC. I changed to regular tires from run flats on the GLC, and I still feel more of the road when driving in the GLC compared to the GLK.

The GLK had a spare tire. The GLC comes with run flats and no spare. I prefer having a spare tire.

One thing I liked about the GLK blind spot assist system was that a yellow light would show up in the triangle in the side mirrors when driving below 20 mph to let you know the system was not in operation (it only works above 20 mph). For some reason, MB dropped the yellow warning light for the blind spot assist in the GLC. That is a loss of an important safety feature.

Another feature I miss in the GLK is that the sill at the trunk door was covered in aluminum, which protected it from scratches. The GLC back sill has no such protective covering. The exposed paint will be easy to scratch.

The windshield wipers are noisier on the GLC.

Lastly, the AC came on faster in the GLK.

The GLC does have some benefits. I like the hands-free access to the GLC. Very convenient. The Burmeister sound system is better than the HK in the GLK. The screen in the GLC has a much better resolution. The interior in the GLC is more attractive. The bottle holders in the doors of the GLC are very convenient for storage. Also, while some complain about the touchpad on the GLC 300, I have found it very easy and convenient to use.

I am sorry I made the switch from the GLK to the GLC. I should have purchased the GLK at the end of my lease.

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueRidge:
Benzgurl#1 (03-17-2021), Flipbound18 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 11:54 PM

Glk250
Originally Posted by BlueRidge
I am sorry I made the switch from the GLK to the GLC. I should have purchased the GLK at the end of my lease.

Hope this helps.
Very helpful, thank you. I'm curious how other 250 owners feel. I know a few 350 owners, and all have a similar feeling as you.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
Very happy with our 2013 GLK250. Just going out of warranty now. I did have an issue with a soot filter (below efficiency threshold) but it was replaced under warranty. Other than that, absolutely no problems. A friend has a 2011 E350 Bluetech (6 cylinder) and he's had no problems with it (close to 100k miles). MB has been making diesels for many decades; I think they have a good handle on it. Granted, the Bluetech system is complicated, but it sure works well. The only thing that smells like diesel is the engine oil when you change it (which I just did again today).

Hopefully it will continue to be great; I'm very impressed with that engine. And BTW, I pull a 3,500lb boat trailer, and it does a phenomenal job (much better than my old Ford Expedition at twice the towing capacity).
Old 06-25-2017, 05:58 AM

Glk250
slmskrs that is great to hear. Thanks for sharing. Have you contemplated buying additional warranty?
Old 06-25-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
I had a 250 that had repeated check engine lights and needed the DPF replaced at 18k miles. I traded it for a 350 and have not looked back.

On my mostly highway commute to work the 250 got 40 mpg, the 350 gets 31-32.
The 350 has more power, accelerates quicker and does not suffer from the minor yet annoying turbo lag when starting out.
The emissions system on the 350 is simpler and I do not need to worry about where I am getting fuel or the quality of the DEF.
Extended warranty cost for the 350 is lower.

Given a choice between the two I would choose the 350 again.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/2014-luxury-compact-suvs

Last edited by MBKLUE; 06-26-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by Circutz
slmskrs that is great to hear. Thanks for sharing. Have you contemplated buying additional warranty?
I am happy with my 2014 GLK250.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ml#post7181355
Old 06-26-2017, 03:25 PM

GLK350 4 matic
Driving a 2012 GLK350, now in its sixth year. Absolutely no problems whatever and only one problem with its predecessor, a 2010 which had the tailgate lift motor replaced early on in its life. In sixty years of car ownership I have never had a more trouble free vehicle. No way I would change it for the GLC.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
I can't speak on the reliability of the BlueTec yet, as we just took the plunge a couple weeks ago with a 2014 CPO, but I can tell you I've had other Mercs and I've had other diesels (sometimes both) but none drive and feel as nice to be in as this one.

In mainly city driving to/from work, it returns 29-31 MPGs.

On the highway, it calculates 40-42 MPGs.

It handles more like a car than an SUV. It runs on the MOE Dunlop run-flats (no spare due to AdBlue tank in trunk where spare would be).

It is optioned almost to the max, only lacking Distronic.

It sounds a bit clackety while warming up (timing advanced) but smooth and suppressed once fully warmed up. In idling it sounds like a napping lion. The torque is nearly instant and does not let up, easily catches most people off-guard off the line.

First road trip coming up soon (Chicago to FL), I will be able to report back more.

We had been looking for awhile until we found it, but we jumped on it once we found it.

I highly recommend it.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 and 2015 GLK250
Overall my 2015 Glk 250 is one of the best vehicles I've owned in the past 55 years. I love the ride and stability - even in cross winds. On the highway, it will go longer between fill-ups than you can. I have the MB-Tex seats and after a long day in the saddle I've never been uncomfortable. My wife liked it so well that she tried to commandeer mine so I had to buy her one. I had to go to SoCal to find her a 2014 CPO.

I've got 16k miles on mine and she has 21k. Never had a problem with either one.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 PM

2014 GLK250, 2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by andreigbs
I can't speak on the reliability of the BlueTec yet, as we just took the plunge a couple weeks ago with a 2014 CPO, but I can tell you I've had other Mercs and I've had other diesels (sometimes both) but none drive and feel as nice to be in as this one.

In mainly city driving to/from work, it returns 29-31 MPGs.

On the highway, it calculates 40-42 MPGs.

It handles more like a car than an SUV. It runs on the MOE Dunlop run-flats (no spare due to AdBlue tank in trunk where spare would be).

It is optioned almost to the max, only lacking Distronic.

It sounds a bit clackety while warming up (timing advanced) but smooth and suppressed once fully warmed up. In idling it sounds like a napping lion. The torque is nearly instant and does not let up, easily catches most people off-guard off the line.

First road trip coming up soon (Chicago to FL), I will be able to report back more.

We had been looking for awhile until we found it, but we jumped on it once we found it.

I highly recommend it.
Just about everything said here applies to me too -
Have had the GLK about 2 months, have had other Mercs and diesels and this one is the best, same great mpg you are seeing, and our first road trip in it is next week to FLA! It was weird reading your post as it nearly applied exactly to me (except the Chicago part - too cold for us ).
Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 PM

Glk250
These responses are so reassuring to hear. I haven't decided yet on which year I would be interested in most. I am still researching the differences and changes over the years. But welcome any and all in put.

Very grateful for the advice so far on mbworld
Old 06-29-2017, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Originally Posted by SirL
Just about everything said here applies to me too -
Have had the GLK about 2 months, have had other Mercs and diesels and this one is the best, same great mpg you are seeing, and our first road trip in it is next week to FLA! It was weird reading your post as it nearly applied exactly to me (except the Chicago part - too cold for us ).
Believe it or not, we moved from Atlanta to Chicago partly because we love the cold and got tired of the 95*+F and 95% humidity all the livelong days of summer!

Can't wait to hit the road later today

Enjoy your trip as well and be safe out there
Old 06-29-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Love mine. Fits perfectly for me in every respect. Liked it so much I bought it when lease ran out. A great residual didn't hurt! It has 41K miles and I've never had one single problem of any kind. Warranty has run and I didn't get extended. I'm not sure I'd even consider the GLC if they ever import the diesels again. That's what I was waiting for but now I'm completely satisfied with mine and have plans to run the wheels off of it. Due for tires in about another 10K as they're down to 3mm, no brake pads yet and still get great mileage. A real winner!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Believe it or not, we moved from Atlanta to Chicago partly because we love the cold and got tired of the 95*+F and 95% humidity all the livelong days of summer! ...
I can believe it!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 PM

Glk250
Originally Posted by Bob338
Love mine. Fits perfectly for me in every respect. Liked it so much I bought it when lease ran out. A great residual didn't hurt! It has 41K miles and I've never had one single problem of any kind. Warranty has run and I didn't get extended. I'm not sure I'd even consider the GLC if they ever import the diesels again. That's what I was waiting for but now I'm completely satisfied with mine and have plans to run the wheels off of it. Due for tires in about another 10K as they're down to 3mm, no brake pads yet and still get great mileage. A real winner!
That's amazing to hear. I originally drove a 250 3 years ago when a family friend had bought it. At the time I loved it, but didn't really put it to a test. As much as I am considering one now, I actually haven't driven it recently. One thing I do wonder (since it's been so long since I drove it), does it have a tight turning radius? My current TSX makes the widest turns and it always bugs me. It's an odd little attribute, but still an important one to me.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 AM

That's amazing to hear. I originally drove a 250 3 years ago when a family friend had bought it. At the time I loved it, but didn't really put it to a test. As much as I am considering one now, I actually haven't driven it recently. One thing I do wonder (since it's been so long since I drove it), does it have a tight turning radius? My current TSX makes the widest turns and it always bugs me. It's an odd little attribute, but still an important one to me.
"Tight" is a personal opinion. You have to experience it. Not a criteria for which I have any concern. Satisfactory for me.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I have a 2010 GLK350 4Matic and it has completely troublefree with now 122K miles on it, Great fun to drive. Very responsive. I have to be careful driving on the I-5 though the San Joachin Valley in California because it's way too easy to find yourself cruising at over 90 miles an hour.
It's quiet and handles way too well (is that possible?) I average 22 mpg on the highway. I'm getting over 70K miles on the Pirelli Asymetrico's ( 20") and well over that on the brake pads. I bought it used with 54K miles on it and haven't changed the pads yet. The only thing I've changed is the battery and regular servicing.
A really great car.
The following users liked this post:
Benzgurl#1 (03-17-2021)
Old 07-04-2017, 10:26 PM

Glk250
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
I have a 2010 GLK350 4Matic and it has completely troublefree with now 122K miles on it, Great fun to drive. Very responsive. I have to be careful driving on the I-5 though the San Joachin Valley in California because it's way too easy to find yourself cruising at over 90 miles an hour.
It's quiet and handles way too well (is that possible?) I average 22 mpg on the highway. I'm getting over 70K miles on the Pirelli Asymetrico's ( 20") and well over that on the brake pads. I bought it used with 54K miles on it and haven't changed the pads yet. The only thing I've changed is the battery and regular servicing.
A really great car.
That's amazing and reassuring to hear. I'm looking to buy a 2013 or 2014 with roughly 80k kms on it (50k miles) and I'm hoping to have a trouble free experience like that as well.

Has anyone taken a 250 that far? I'm hoping the diesel can last that long as well.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 PM

That's amazing and reassuring to hear. I'm looking to buy a 2013 or 2014 with roughly 80k kms on it (50k miles) and I'm hoping to have a trouble free experience like that as well.

Has anyone taken a 250 that far? I'm hoping the diesel can last that long as well.
Read or search the various threads here. Several owners have posted indicating mileage way over 50K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Years later, how do you feel about your glk?